1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do these have no PR? (Not zero, but n/a)

Discussion in 'Google' started by Forrest, May 22, 2007.

I'm curious why other pages in the same galleries get PR 2 and 3, yet a small handful get none?

Examples:
    Storm Clearing at Tioga Lake
    Stream and Watefall, Big Basin State Park

One is in the supplemental index, and the other isn't covered at all. The comments are a little short, but several other photos have the same sentence or two and are treated well for it. Both pages are about nine months old. Ironically, Google can't tell one jpeg from another, but these happen to be some of the better of them.

Inexplicably, with one sentence of text, this page has a modest PR 2:
    Storybook House, Queen Anne

I'm going back to write more text for the comments to show more content, but is there anything else I can do? Or other gotchas to be mindful of? They're pretty good photos, and I've been trying to get more exposure for them. In general that's working, so I'd like to fix these exceptions if that's possible?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Forrest, May 22, 2007 IP
    forumrating likes this.
  2. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    one reason i could feel is it has iframes, but you must not worry on pr, what you have in your site is truely amazing, i just liked those pics a lot.

i would suggest you to convert it into a blog.

forumrating, May 22, 2007 IP
  3. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the complements on the photos!!

I don't really care about PR, but one page being in the supps and the other not indexed at all is a bad thing. I do SQL work, but would rather travel for a living exploring mountain sides... :)

Actually I don't use frames, just a crappy design that I really need to learn how to improve.

Forrest, May 22, 2007 IP
  4. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    how old are those pages? google does not give the page rank in a short time

trichnosis, May 22, 2007 IP
  5. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    They're about nine months old...

Forrest, May 22, 2007 IP
  6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    offtopic: Nice photos ;)

BigBadWolf, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  7. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Very odd beast is google, maybe you can try using a sitemap; put all the pages that have not been indexed towards the top of the sitemap page. Make sure that the sitemap itself is well linked. Also make a sitemap.xml file and submit to google webmaster tools; worth a shot i guess.
    You could also try to get links to your pages (deep linking) that have not been indexed from outside sources.

Deano, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  8. GeoSEO

GeoSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes its off topic sorry but I must give you my compliments for photos. They are magical. Blog idea is good - You can tell stories about this trips at blogs too.

Also submission to photo sites www.sxc.hu for example ....

GeoSEO, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  9. adleym

adleym Peon

Best Answers:
    It's quite simple really, according to yahoo, the "storybook house" page is being linked to from this page, which has a pr 2:
    http://frankevans.stumbleupon.com/
    The other two pages have similar number of backlinks, but none have any pr. You might want to thank this frank evans guy, whoever he is!

adleym, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  10. browie

browie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm no expert but isn't a PR of N/A mean it's a new site that was introduced after the previous update?

browie, May 22, 2007 IP
  11. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PageRank has nothing whatsoever to do with content, it is strictly a function of backlinks.

If at the time of the PageRank snapshot (not the date of the export, which is different) a page doesn't have enough incoming link strength, then it won't have any PR once it is exported to the toolbar. This is true if the page is either:

a) Supplemental, or
    b) not indexed at all

The thing with it being greyed out is a revival of the way it used to be, although I can't remember from how long ago. For a while there you couldn't tell the difference between a page that had a little PR (Google knows about and recognizes the page, the links from that page count for something) but not enough to be PR1, and the worthless pages, as far as linking went (no PageRank whatsoever). Now you can again.

Yes, it can mean that too. But he already stated his site was 9 months old.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 22, 2007 IP
  12. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    seriously do rethink on using on blogs you will save lot of time, old days gone to code and make things of ur own.

forumrating, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  13. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the photos are amazing....I bookmarked your site...It could be that people are linking to your photos, that's why some have PR

oseymour, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  14. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip; you're not the first person who's brought this up, but you seem to pretty strongly believe a blog would be the ideal way to go. Can I talk you into expanding a little on that? I've heard to use a blog before but never really understood how, or why that would make sense? I feel like a mediocre writer, which is a strike against me, and that having galleries with thumbnails grouped into Seattle vs Vancouver, for example, is something I really like, that I'm not sure how to accomplish using a blog. But then I've never written one before, so I'm probably overlooking quite a bit?

Forrest, May 22, 2007 IP
  15. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and while it's off topic, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the complements on the photos! GeoSEO, Big Bad Wolf, ForumRating, SEO Ranter ... thanks!! Giving up Dreamweaver for Notepad++ has been a major pain, but I'm glad people enjoy the results ... makes all the hand coding worthwhile.

Forrest, May 22, 2007 IP
  16. cherry_yuya

cherry_yuya Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could make a blog then put up a gallery in flickr. Everytime you posted something on the blog, it will link to flickr which in result can get you more view. Blog is easy to navigate and lovely to read for me. You could also receive comments on each pictures which will generate more interactions between you and your reader. Blog is also more SE friendly too.

cherry_yuya, May 22, 2007 IP
  17. Andy Peters

Andy Peters Peon

Best Answers:
    off topic but i like your photos.
    I wouldn't worry about PR, the visible PR differs greatly from the actual PR and it's traffic that really matters. PR will come in time (9 months is still quite new) but if you get people viewing it,that is what is important.
    By the way check out some of my photos too, though their not up to that standard at all :)

Andy Peters, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  18. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really nice n cool pics out there....! sorry couldnt help with the issue but just praising the stuff there...

khushal, May 22, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  19. igme

igme Banned

Best Answers:
    Just for me I think a regular update of your content and building more quality for sub pages will help. By the ways nice photo.

igme, May 23, 2007 IP
  20. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of your hospital photos are pretty creepy! But they put some context into the time I crashed my bike... :D You've got a lot of different genres in there, but some of your asylum images could be in a Tim Burton movie.

I'm taking your advice, about traffic being a lot more important than pagerank. And my site has been doing pretty well in that regard, in general. A lot of my photos are starting to come up under different searches I wouldn't have ever thought of. It's just a shame that some of the best photos on my site are the ones that aren't covered at this point, although it sounds like it won't be terribly difficult to fix that.

PS - thanks about my photos!

Forrest, May 23, 2007 IP