1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My first website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by steve_gts, Sep 16, 2005.

Hi All,

I've been working on a site over the last month or so for my other half....

http://www.ledgerservices.co.uk

I've been picking it up as I go along from books and website websites (if you know what i mean!)

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
    Steve

steve_gts, Sep 16, 2005 IP
    Henny likes this.
  2. maro

maro Peon

Best Answers:
    First nice design...
    Well the first that got me confused is the top right image showing home, right, left, email, etc... which is just an image with no links!
    I also found the arrows next to each link at the top (near Home, Contact, About Us and Sage) confusing.
    The top flash still shows the default template text: Your Text, Company (in some cases)
    Having back and next buttons at the bottom of the page is also confusing to the user since this is not a slideshow we are viewing.

maro, Sep 16, 2005 IP
    steve_gts likes this.
  3. steve_gts

steve_gts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Maro,

I must confess I used a template so cant take any credit for the design, other than for choosing it :)

Where was the flash not displaying properly? as it looks fine when I view it from my machine, I thought it would look the same to everyone else too!

I think I will remove the back and forwards bottons and the top right icons as I cant seem to get them to do anything, I kinda hoped people just wouldnt notice them but obviously they will.

Thanks again,
    Steve

4. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    Make a logo for your website instead of displaying plan text style image

Removing the flash movie can make your website load faster

you have described your contact phone number 3 times on the page. please just put
    it in your page footer only.

main paragraph's are touching the left border. by increaing the padding can solve this
    problem

putting the heading in font "trebuchet ms" or some thing like that can make them more attrative.

usage of text-decoration and color property in the link hove can make them more good looking

best of luck :)

programmer, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  5. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One suggestion. DO not use Frontpage anymore :)

I know it's an easier software to use (being alike Word) but it completly creates useless code.

Just an example : http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.ledgerservices.co.uk/

Try to use Dreamweaver, or any other WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors on the market, that DO NOT alter code. :)

Anyway, if this is your first, very good job then. YOu are on your way up.

The feedback form should really stay on your server or domain :) It's not really empowering me to trust the website, if the contact form is on an adress like :

http://s135083118.websitehome.co.uk/tinc?key=OZ6EtuNv
    Code (markup):
    Use ALT on all images. I see some have, some not :)

Everythign esle seems ok, or i don;t have time to look further. Good luck.

Cristian Mezei, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  6. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Try not to use Javascript and images for your navigation. Use plain text links which makes it much easier for search engines to index.

I would also expand a little more about your company on the front page within the first paragraph. What is it you do? Why should people choose you and spend the time to follow the links?

Crusader, Sep 16, 2005 IP
    steve_gts likes this.
  7. steve_gts

steve_gts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for the feedback, I must admit some points I had already considered, like the submit form, but I got so frustrated trying to work out how to link it in to my hosting company that I just went with theirs in the end.

Looks like I'll have my head buried in the books and monitors again all weekend trying to work out how to do it all right!

Thanks again