1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time of day advertising alt for adsense

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Shoemoney, Sep 15, 2005.

I recently bloged about some interesting stuff with tod advertising. Just curious if anyone had any experience with it.

The post is http://shoemoney.com/2005/09/15/tod-advertising-analysing-what-the-big-boys-are-doing/

Shoemoney, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  2. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Holy sh*t Shoemoney. You make 6 figures with Adsense??!!!! I am DEFINITELY not working hard enough.

toocoolforschool, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  3. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    For one service I'm running adwords for, I found the conversion rate was massively higher at particular times of day. I hacked up a couple of adwords API scripts to pause/resume the campaign via cron.

I've increased my ROI by about 50% doing this. I expect we'll see TOD advertising more and more.

forkqueue, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  4. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe a good tip and maybe I will try. But where can I find a easy Script for that?

Wally, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I used to do manual TOD adwords advertising - since geotargetting produced poor results for me, I kept the national ads up and turned them off and on during my customers browsing hours - allowing me to save on the midnight clicks from out of country too. At least back then, targetting California customers with adwords geotargetting was pretty bad - I saw triple the traffic from real customers doing my own manual TOD stuff.

I wonder if the reverse might be true - that during certain times of day visitors would be more interested in certain advertising formats and turning of adsense and turning on a different kind of advertising might pay off. Something like maybe switching to a higher revenue CPM model during peak traffic times, or perhaps affiliate links for things that might interest a surfer who's up at 4 in the morning - stuff you'd typically see on tv - excercise/weight loss, business startup kits, etc that just wouldn't perform well during the day.

nevetS, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  6. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Wowow....

Never heard of such earnings from GAS! Great, keep it up!!

Would you mind sharing some tips for us mortals?

medusa, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  7. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Liminal, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty interesting information... I would love to see some of these TOD studies they have.. Would probably be fairly insightful. I wonder what the impetus is for this particular time frame... Very interesting stuff though.

Also goes to show how specific and narrow things are going to get in the future. Which I think bodes very well for publishers of content intended to draw visitors, and not so good for those who publish content with the intent of delivering visitors to advertisers.

aeiouy, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  9. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    phpadsnew is the name of what I use. I have used to over the years and it has many features even geotargeting (target by ip). phpadsnew IMO is very important for affiliate sites that rotate banners

Shoemoney, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    It is good if you have a big traffic site, and if you are patient enough to go through the huge instruction manual to learn how to use it. Complicated as hell!

fryman, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  11. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Well I dont mean to be captain obvious but if you just build a nice service people want to use then everything else will take care of itself.

one of my sites dropcash.com you can see perhaps what I mean. The site is pretty new I wrote it less then 1 year ago yet its already had almost 500,000$ passed through it. Of which I have not made 1$ ;)

Shoemoney, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    But if you just took those rounding fractions, like in office space, off each transaction...

You would be a hundredaire.

aeiouy, Sep 18, 2005 IP