1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hey DCT

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nevetS, Sep 15, 2005.

How has your sabbatical been going? What sort of things have you accomplished since you've taken on the web full time? In the short time you've been doing it do you have regrets in your initial strategy? How about your work days... are they longer now that you are taking a break? :)

Looks from following your posts that things are going great.

nevetS, Sep 15, 2005 IP
    Weirfire likes this.
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Only just saw this, thanks for asking :D

Things are going well so far, though at times I do feel like I could be getting more done. I now have 5 profitable sites and a similar number in development. I do find I flit between projects and forums a bit too much so need to focus more, need to get lazer beam focus as T0Ps would say.

I have no regrets at all to taking the sabattical (though am a bit skint) strategies can always be improved upon I think and I'm no exception, I have 2 months left and still a lot to do.

Work days really vary in length, I'm finding it much easier to get up early in the morning and I can spend time in the middle of the day playing with my daughter and then work late into the evening when she's in bed. I guess I average 12 hours 6 days a week though some days are a lot more than that.

My latest site has just been featured in Lockergnome today which will hopefully bring a fair bit of temporary traffic that I can use to measure potential.

dct, Sep 16, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  3. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I had to google sabbatical to see what that meant. :eek: lol What were you doing before you started the business ideas dct? Will you be able to keep them going once you go back to work?

Weirfire, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  4. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    DCT is planning to spend his sabatical building an income so that he can resign when he goes "back to work". Best of luck building your income DCT the next 2 months will probably fly by so be busy!

sji2671, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  5. dct

Best Answers:
    My official title was "Senior Software Engineer" I design and lead the development of financial systems, the money was good but I hated the fact I was slogging my guts out to pad someone elses pockets. The biggest system I designed was the Irish Revenue payment system (sorry).

I'm due back at work in November, I'll likely stick it for a while whilst I'm selling my house that way I'll be able to do a cash purchase some where cheaper and give up work for good.

dct, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  6. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    dct, i salute you for your courage... i have personal friends who have quit to work the net... but i'm still in the rut... too many commitments preventing me from taking the plunge...

daboss, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  7. dct

Best Answers:
    Man, I've got a 100K mortgage, an 8 year old and a gadget habit. If you want something bad enough you do what it takes (it has taken me 5 years to realise this) the long term rewards are worth the short term pain.

dct, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  8. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I think many of us are in the pain right now :)

Stick at it dct :) you've got the ability and dedication to make it work.

Weirfire, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I really like your cool gadget site by the way. It's coming along great!

nevetS, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  10. dct

Best Answers:
    Thanks, the skin is a great advertisement of SEBasic's talents, which reminds me I need to get his link on there :)

dct, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Lol, I owe him a link too if he ever gets that site launched :cool:

yfs1, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  12. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm starting to put links up to it now elsewhere...

I'm not promoting it actively through here yet, but links are always good ;)

I've pretty much cleared my backlog now which is what was stopping me from advertising it.

I'm trying to find some staff too, but that's proving a little tricky - I've got pretty high standards...

Thanks for the comments BTW> :)

SEbasic, Sep 16, 2005 IP