1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How difficult is Joomla, Drupal, or phpFox for someone with no experience ?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by ruven, May 17, 2007.

I mean no experience in this stuff.
    Ive done your basic HTML personal page/photo gallery... but thats about it.

I know nothing of PHP and CSS, databases, etc...

Do these programs let you just install and run right off the bat ?
    Do i need to know how to code in PHP to do small stuff like incorporating a premade layout ?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

ruven, May 17, 2007 IP
  2. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used Joomla. For running Joomla or for that matter any CMS you dont really need an PHP, but if you intend to modify things, then you'll be needing CSS and PHP.

About running and installing layouts, no you dont need PHP., but for modifying a layout you need it.

RovingCalypso, May 17, 2007 IP
  3. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    So if you pay someone to modify a layout/template for me, then i can just slide that layout in without PHP knowledge... is what you are saying ?
    If so, then im hoping its that simple.

Thanks for the response.

ruven, May 17, 2007 IP
  4. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    When it's running its easy. But setting it up can take time ... especially if you want to do something particular.

Have you made some kind of specification? Post it here, and people can give you answers.

pj1s, May 17, 2007 IP
  5. forumsfirst

forumsfirst Banned

Best Answers:
    Joomla is very straightforward, so long as you know all your FTP & MYSQL details you can't really go wrong. And if you do you just start all over again :D

forumsfirst, May 18, 2007 IP
  6. bon300187

bon300187 Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla is pretty esy and simple to get goin, i would high recommend using it as it made my life alot easier and can whip sites up in no time :)

bon300187, May 18, 2007 IP
  7. lokotex

lokotex Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla its pretty simple , but if you dont have some experience in this kind of sofware it gets kind of complicated.

lokotex, May 18, 2007 IP
  8. kodin

kodin Peon

Best Answers:
    i use joomla... and very impress.. install, add some extension to make more better, and done... if you have any doubt or problem with joomla just go ask at their forum.. there will be some one to help..

design for joomla can be get free... a lot of template can get...

1st off all, download joomla software and manual.. important! read the manual...

kodin, May 18, 2007 IP
  9. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can modify a wordpress layout/theme, you can surely do this one. It requires pretty basic HTML and CSS knowledge. Otherwise, yes pay someone to modify the theme for you, and you can install it without much trouble.

RovingCalypso, May 18, 2007 IP
  10. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you look like me:D i dont know anythink too. no html, no programming, no design but i can make what i want with joomla. install& start. that's all for joomla. it has a great admin panel. you will not believe your eyes when you see its admin panel;)

trichnosis, May 18, 2007 IP
  11. ir0n

ir0n Active Member

Best Answers:
    lets put it this way:
    blog = wordpress
    fast and easy cms = joomla ( fast with 3d party cache plug in :D )
    full blown professional website with endless possibilities = drupal

----

just check what you need and choose. if its not for a blog and you don't know css or php - get joomla, free template and thats it = you got a good looking easy to manage cms website. Get yourself template customization for some $$ and you are ready to launch a nice web project that will also look very good :)

ir0n, May 20, 2007 IP
  12. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I was in your position about six months ago. I do have 30 years of professional data processing experience but little in way of HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL. But I do understand a good architecture when I see one.

The problem with many of the packages that are available, is that you can really get completely lost and feel totally helpless when things go wrong. It may be possible to get something going quickly, but the ongoing maintenance can make the whole experience feel like a real pain.

My advice would be this:

1) If you are totally inexperienced with setting up a website, you may want to start by using wordpress.com, which requires absolutely not web development experience or knowlege.

2) As you develop expertise, and desire to extend your website beyond the basics, you may want to consider migrating to your own Wordpress installed website. There are many, many things to consider before you go this route, so don't take it likely.

3) Should Wordpress end up being insuffcient, then look at products like ExpressionEngine and Joomla. But only if you are thinking about using the web to make money and you need added extensibility.

Bottom line: Managing, maintaining, developing a website is no small effort, so minimize your time and costs until you understand all that you are getting into.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

richrf, May 20, 2007 IP
  13. Meistro

Meistro Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing about Joomla is... it's not that easy... but it is easier by a magnitude of 100x than everything else that can do the same things it can (or better things). If you are looking for easy joomla is the way to go.

Meistro, May 20, 2007 IP
  14. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    if you something about html,php stuffs you can do,its not necessary you must code,you must know to search and copy and paste in right positions,sosos.

i just do copy and paste with all these and i'm doing good.

010081, May 20, 2007 IP
  15. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    Im probably at that level myself.
    Just copy and paste, copy and paste.
    Im sure that pretty much guarantees much sloppiness.... but what can i do ?

ruven, May 21, 2007 IP
  16. fb-guy

fb-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    This makes sense. I have experience with Dreamweaver, vbulletin/phpbb, php shopping cart and link management software, and have the job of building a new site with a wider specification. It needs to support news feeds, multiple contributors, layers of approval, a user forum, and its own directory. If the site is successful, it will get large.

1. Is Drupal right for this application? Or should I use Dreamweaver again.
    2. Is the Drupal forum OK, or should I still use vbulletin? It works.
    3. What is the right software package to create and manage a directory. It will be made up of serious links (not junk link exchange) from related organizations -- both user submitted and entered by the organization itself.

Thanks for the input.
    FB

fb-guy, May 21, 2007 IP
  17. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just install joomla and components lol it hase components and modules 1k + so u get almost everything

seo-mumbai, May 22, 2007 IP
  18. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Joomla is probably next.
    I tried the 7 day demo of PHPCow and hated it.

Either PHPFox or Joomla will be next.
    Or maybe Subdreamer :D

ruven, May 26, 2007 IP
  19. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was blown away with Joomla when I 1st used it. Joomla 1.5 from a developer perspective is the next level.

Go with Joomla you wont have no regrets.

inet, May 26, 2007 IP