1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you look for in a CMS?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by 501, May 9, 2007.

What do you look for in a CMS? What are the most important factors you look for? If you're paying for something, the most important thing an individual would look for is something that 'works', doesn't break, and comes the way you expected it to.

've come to believe the only reason why people use certain CMS systems is because those CMSes come with lots of themes and addons, and they look pretty and stuff lol. There's nothing wrong with that, just that most of the same people also spend a lot of time rebuilding their sites after being hacked, or members complaining the site takes forever to load.

I'd appreciate it if community members could participate in a survey being held at here even though you're probably not interested in the CMS at all it would be great if you drop by. :)

Thanks Guys

501, May 9, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the site.. as long as it's easy to add and remove content, that would be ideal. A simple backend for admin would be great too (nothing too cluttered with useless functions)

8everything, May 9, 2007 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    that changes what you expect from a cms but in generally a cms must be flexsible and complex. it must support extensions and it must a great community. these are my criterias for a cms

trichnosis, May 9, 2007 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

So many things, but here is a brief list:

1) Good fundamental and symmetrical architecture that allows the functionality to be extended and supports flexible data presentation. It should look like one person developed it instead of hundreds.

2) Good separation between presentation logic and processing logic.

3) Easy to maintain. New versions should be backward compatible so that you do not lose your development investment in your site.

4) Stable and reliable. (Good coding and design techniques will help support this requirement).

5) Secure design. Does not require frequent updates because of new security
    holes.

6) Good handling of spam.

7) Easy to upgrade when a new version comes out.

8) Good performance (a function of database and program design).

9) Easy to understand user and administrator interface.

10) Good documentation and support.

Rich

richrf, May 10, 2007 IP
  5. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response, guys, Well the documentation and support will be definitely worked on. As for performance based i think its well enough optimized. I would actually appreciate it if 8everything,trichnosis's and Rich. Would actually sign up on the site and give the CMS a slight test run and check out how 'Control Panel' functions.

Please do get back to me about this. I really appreciate the comments. In fact there is a great backhand Admin to the CMS you view on Kenetix. :)

501, May 10, 2007 IP
  6. 5thround

5thround Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like a private CMS where only people I want can update the information on the site, but also adaptability to do what I would need as my website evolves.

5thround, May 11, 2007 IP
  7. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well by that, ofcourse its possible through administration rights that are given to your members to be able to edit or update information on the site.

501, May 15, 2007 IP
  8. Imusion

Imusion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Scalability and good semantic structure to the front-end of the CMS. Seperation between presentation and logic like someone already said is very very important. Want something that you can skin very easily without huge hassle.

All that in a lightweight package where most of the "extra" features should be customizable through modules or plugins.

Imusion, May 15, 2007 IP
  9. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    integration with vBulletin is a #1 must have for me.

Pixelrage, May 16, 2007 IP
  10. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    loads times, reputation, community, security ... but mostly what I need to get done, and then the CMS.

pj1s, May 17, 2007 IP
  11. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well thanks for the tips, it would be great if you guys can register here, and give the CMS a short test run. Rep will be given for the ones that do register and give the 'Control Panel' and CMS a run.

Thank You

501, May 17, 2007 IP
  12. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The backend user interface, it covers almost all the aspects, adding removing content etc etc.

I also look at the extensions/addons and the skins available.

RovingCalypso, May 18, 2007 IP
    501 likes this.
  13. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

The product looks interesting and feature-rich. However, the interface seems a bit cold and uninviting (at least to me. :) ). I would like to learn more about your product but before I look deeper into the software, would it be possible to get more details - e.g. what makes it different/better than Wordpress or Joomla? Thanks.

Rich

richrf, May 18, 2007 IP
    501 likes this.
  14. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    The best CMS is the one that you can modify until your heart contents.

rmartish, May 18, 2007 IP
    501 likes this.
  15. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah well, we are working on adjusting to best suit everything and everyones needs. Also we are looking on ways to use the CMS with minimum programming knowledge to back it user friendly. Anyways rep has been given to all that have answered.

To view the CMS, and give it a test run please visit here

Hope to receive more replies, regarding what people look for in a CMS.

501, May 21, 2007 IP
  16. Sepehr

Sepehr Peon

Best Answers:
    to me if i was to use a CMS i would choose one that has the most working addons cause that's the whole point of it! for the time i maybe need a blog but i if i install a CMS it's because i want to expand it later with things such as forum , gallery and ... . if i didn't want to do that i would simply go with some blogging script like wordpress!
    but not just the one with the most number of addons , the one with the most number of different and working addons!
    and ofcourse it should have acceptable level of security , cause i don't want to see my site hacked buy some 10 year old in a week after starting!

Sepehr, May 21, 2007 IP
    501 likes this.
  17. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    1: I want to have my users be able to log on to the main site or the forums area, and be able to move back and forth while still being logged on.

2: I want the ability to have customized user profiles for my users.

3: It needs to be something that I (with my very limited knowledge), can get up and running properly.

ruven, May 21, 2007 IP
    501 likes this.
  18. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kenetix cms is already very good and secure i think it hase lot of fucture good work carri on guys

seo-mumbai, May 22, 2007 IP
  19. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the support, Kenetix.net sure is very secure. I would be very pleased if some of the members here do try out the CMS. You can register at Kenetix. :)

501, May 23, 2007 IP
  20. Anders Moen

Anders Moen Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll try to keep it short:
    - Easy to navigate (not like Mambo in other words)
    - Easy to add/edit/remove categories, news, pages and all that
    - And of course it has to be secure

:)

Anders Moen, May 23, 2007 IP