1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

API results and weight

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by heapseo, Sep 13, 2005.

According to DP's tool for checking no of pages as per the API, my pages has increased 4x BUT my weight has only increased by about 10%. Its a PR5 site with 5 ads and none of my weight comes from referrals. Does this seem normal? I would have expected a huge jump in weight with an increase of pages like that.

cheers

heapseo, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  2. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone had similar experiences or know what the problem is?

heapseo, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    There still seems to be ambiguity in reporting of supplemental results. It's normal.

T0PS3O, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  4. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    With the API you mean? Even so I thought the weight was calculatedbased on the results the API shows, whether correct or not?

heapseo, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes the API I mean. But page count isn't the only factor. Maybe your base PR wen't down a notch or you lost a big referal.

Whatever it is, you can rest assured Shawn's weight algorithm has it right (because there's no possibility of getting it wrong).

T0PS3O, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  6. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, I don't doubt shwn has it right! I just couldnt figure it out thats all :D

heapseo, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Shawn never documented the weight calculation in detail so no one knows actually.

T0PS3O, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  8. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    it's also not a straight multiplier. just because you went up 4x pages, doesn't mean your weight will be multipled times 4

wendydettmer, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  9. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, it was just I have had a much higher multiplying factor in the past when number of pages increases, just made me wonder

heapseo, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  10. solaris125

solaris125 Guest

Best Answers:
    Weight increase is not linear but logarithmic. The logic behind this is, as Shawn said, it prevents the site owners who have millions of pages indexed from dominating the coop. The weight increase is almost linear till about 5000 pages returned by the API. For example, if you have a PR5 site and have 1000 pages returned by the API your weight will be approx 4000, if the API returns 4000 pages weight will be approx 15000. But if the API returns 50,000 pages the weight will be 30,000. The rise in weight decreases as the number of pages increases.

solaris125, Sep 15, 2005 IP