1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Form abuse on website

Discussion in 'PHP' started by rederick, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Gmorkster

Gmorkster Peon

Best Answers:
    AOL usually doesn't bother to answer abuse reports...:mad:

Gmorkster, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Add me to the "me too" list. I've been getting form-spammed for 3 days now. The problem is my form emails me and only me. 20+ submissions in intervals somewhere between 8 and 12 hours apart. I've looked into various attack methods and my code is clean, but it sure is annoying.

nevetS, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  3. ResearchTechs

ResearchTechs Peon

Best Answers:
    Same thing has been happening to a form on a site of mine. Thanks for the code, hopefully it works tomorrow. :)

ResearchTechs, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  4. rederick

rederick Peon

Best Answers:
    If Just check the value of the sumbit button, if It is not what you expected , don't send the mail...

rederick, Sep 17, 2005 IP
  5. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    instead of using image verification, there are other easier-to-implement methods that work well too (to counter bots)...

e.g. think of 30 really easy to answer questions... e.g. how many fingers does a normal person have; or how do you spell hello backwards...

put these questions as part of the form... if the answer is wrong, don't proceed...

daboss, Sep 18, 2005 IP
  6. michele

michele Peon

Best Answers:
    Hitting guestbooks is a popular blackhat spamming technique, usually with the aim of creating backlinks.

Candidates for spamming can easily be found with a bit of "Google hacking" ... one thing that can be done to lessen the volume is remove the tell-tale signature from the bottom of your guestbook script (eg something like "Powered by PHP Guestbook 1.2.3"). This is how large numbers of sites are automatically harvested for spamming. A tool such as CURL then allows spammers to easily create a bot that submits data to a form.

Other than that, image verification/challenge systems can also slow most bots down.

michele, Sep 20, 2005 IP