1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Gallery

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Growler, Sep 12, 2005.

I want to create a gallery of about 100 photos to fit in with my existing site, whats the best way of doing this, I have dreamweaver and photoshop, I've notided these have a similar feature of creating web galleries, but not sure how to make them fit in...

Growler, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  2. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I find the gallery pages I have tried to create automatically are ugly. Perhaps if I knew more CSS and wanted to tweak the templates they could be improved. For 100 pictures and a site with an established look and feel I think I would just sit down and do them by hand.

mhdoc, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  3. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    aqi32, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  4. iCreate

iCreate Guest

Best Answers:
    Coppermine Photo Gallery is a very popular free one. It can be easily customized to fit in well with your websites design. Its probably on hotscripts, but if not, a simple search will show it up.

iCreate, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  5. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think coppermine is in fantastico if your host has it installed :)

aqi32, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  6. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    Coppermine looks good - you need a MySQL db to set it up. That is what stopped me.

Dynamic drive has a lot of dhtml galleries and sideshows.

Here is a flash gallery called Simpleviewer. It uses an xml file (you edit that with any editor, dreamweaver included) so it is very straight forward to add images and configure it. The options are limited, but it looks nice as is.

Another one of my favourite is Jalbum, which has many different 'skins', of looks and configurations. It makes thumbs and links to separate full images as well as the display of your images as part of the gallery page. It is really the one I like the best, for sure. you must have java virtual machine installed, but most people do.

What I like with these is that they all come with instructions on how to configure the look on your own if you want to change them. (Most of them on Dynamic Drive, anyways)

mikmik, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Dreamshop likes this.
  7. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    PS Growler, do you want to display thumbs and link to full pictures? How many thumbs do you want to show at a time? All of them? 25, for instance? I can really help you here with the others( as I know other people can also!), but if you use coppermine, that might be best, I don't know. It looks good, that's for sure.

mikmik, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  8. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    why did that stop you? just curious :)

aqi32, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm nearly done creating my gallery. It's a lot of work, that's for sure. You can see it here. I'd love to hear any feedback.

mopacfan, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  10. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    I like that. Is that Coppermine? It is fast on my end, the pics change quick.

Setting up a gallery take lot's of work, eh!? I like the idea of the drop down list for other galleries.

I was just going to show you this, which I found last night. Here is a tutorial on DevShed: Style Sheets
    Dynamic Galleries with DOM and CSS

(Oh, here is the author's site and an example: http://icant.co.uk/articles/dyngallery/ - Images of Santorini 2004

These are dhtml shows: http://www.i-code.co.uk/javascript/photoalbum.php. This is really nice: http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/slideshow/

You can do more with php and DB, though. The Dom and CSS is nice for us cross browser CSS guys.

Back to your slide show, the comments form is really a great idea. Also good (IMO) is a proper explanation/caption for each picture that allows you to explain as much as you want.

I am finding, for myself, that having real artsy galleries can be nice, but for just viewing pictures in general, quick production, anfd good explanations are most important to worry about.

One minor suggestion. I like to have a non-white, possibly darker background so that your images show off more due to contrast. It depends on the feel you want also, not everything needs dark around it, but I do like a 'duller' bg than white.

Het, good work! The main page fits 800px wide screens... yes they are all good at 800 wide :O)

mikmik, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  11. raven2424

raven2424 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i belive there is also scripts that you can use to run your image gallery and then just apply a design to it that would match with your current site?

raven2424, Sep 16, 2005 IP