1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

forum submission software

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by racoon, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mddv

mddv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Spam Spam Spam is all what that software is going to be used for. There is already enough spam on the internet why create more.

mddv, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  2. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah not sure if i like the idea too much either

web-rover, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

IVe been saying that all along

joeychgo, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I can see where you're all coming from, but guys, it's a little like telling a knife salesman he's selling death.

By implementing a means for wm's to *independantly* control the nett effect of it's use on their sites, I'd have to say it's a better option for WM's than the stuff that's already out there.

It all comes down to how it's used, not whether it's available. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't be abused, but at least *you* can do something about it as a WM if it is.

Just my 2c.

JL

john_loch, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that because identical posts are made across a range of forums, and because people visit many forums, it makes them wary of the poster. I have to ask the question though, 'how many forums do you post at then that a simple copy & paste is not enough'?

I am not having a go, but I just find it a little bit 'selfish' to say the least that ALL you want is to TAKE from the forums rather than give. By that I mean that you can not even be arsed to visit the foums you are posting questions in unless they respond.

Let me give you a scenario here. 50% of people using a forum use this software, who then is going to respond? I for one always flag up any posts made across a series of forums. I am not saying it is wrong, indeed it is prudent to get as much advice as possible. It is not in the spirit of forums though that you do not even post there, you simply automate the post, and only grace the forum with your presence should you hook a fish!

You were not a deep sea trawlerman in a past life were you :D

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  6. racoon

racoon Guest

Best Answers:
    Old Welsh Guy, I can see your concern. Abused this software won't do anyone good. I agree! But, something similar to a knife, like john_loch said, if properly used it can bring benefits.

I've created a more detailed description for what I have in mind at http://www.softwar3.net
    If anyone is interested, the newest demo is also there.

Paul

racoon, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  7. racoon

racoon Guest

Best Answers:
    One more thing I forgot to mention: I don't think everybody is a member of many forums. Maybe some people participate in only 2 maybe 3 forums so it's unlikely that the same person to view your post multiple times. Of course it's another thing when the person is a member of 20+ forums. But in this case there is another issue: it would take some a few good hours each day to see all the new posts from 20+ forums. And because I don't think many ppl have that time the post may go unnoticed, not disturbing anyone.
    Of course, this is theory. In practice it may go like this sometimes but it may not always. I agree it's a controversed idea but I defenetly can't say it's bad idea.

Paul

racoon, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  8. Gmorkster

Gmorkster Peon

Best Answers:
    User agent strings can easily be faked without even touching the binary by rewriting outgoing TCP packets. And I bet there are dozens of tools out there for *nix platforms that even a n00b can use.

Gmorkster, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  9. racoon

racoon Guest

Best Answers:
    Gmorkster, the program only runs on the Windows platform. And if someone can rewrite traffic on the wire/modify the binary such that it will send another User-Agent string, he/she has the knowledge to do a lot more damage if he/she really wants.
    Don't you think?

racoon, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  10. Gmorkster

Gmorkster Peon

Best Answers:
    1. There are probably similar script-kiddie tools for Windows as well.
    2. Even if it only runs on Windows, and assuming our script kiddiot spammer cannot get his hands on such a proggie, a whole lot of home networks are connected to the Internet through a Unix-ish router. It's not about having the knowledge to do it, it's just a matter of editing a text file to configure such a packet rewriter.

A lot of people who can fire a Beretta can do a lot of damage, does this mean you should chip in free AKs? :)

11. racoon

racoon Guest

Best Answers:
    Gmorkster I have to disagree with you.
    As far as I know (and I did some searching right now too) your presumption about the existance of freely available, windows tools that rewrite tcp on the wire is false.
    In my opinion it's really a far shot what you say about the *nix server solution too. Maybe there are such cases but the probabilty that:
    1. someone has a windows pc
    2. routed through a *nix server
    3. where he has root access
    4. and has the know-how to set it up to rewrite tcp packets,
    5. has the ForumSubmitter program
    6. and has the intention of maliciously using it
    looks to be very low.

I admit, the possiblity exists but doesn't mean much. The possibily that I'll get ran over by a car exists but I still cross the street. Or if you want to talk about quantum physics... :D

Anyway, I don't want to clutter up this post with discussing if the average script-kiddie can or can not modify on-the-wire traffic on his windows machine. If you want to discuss further let's open another thread. But I think this will only give script kiddies ideeas.

Paul

racoon, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  12. Gmorkster

Gmorkster Peon

Best Answers:
    This whole thread is about your software being used for spam, and I only want to prove that it's possible even with your *unbeatable* User-Agent scheme.

Just googled and found one. Don't want to share it here-- might give 'em ideas ;)

We're talking about professional spammers with no programming knowledge to write their own tools. Anyone matching this pattern could easily integrate into the above categories!

13. racoon

racoon Guest

Best Answers:
    well, my initial intention wasn't to discuss about it beeing used for spam perhaps you understood me wrong. Would anyone mind if I'll open a new thread where we can speak about the program itself because in the miriad of post about spam here it's hard for anyone to even find what the program ACTUALLY does.
    And could you pm me with the link to the tool that you found? If it's indeed smth like you said, my hats off to you.
    Paul

racoon, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  14. Gmorkster

Gmorkster Peon

Best Answers:
    i didn't understand you wrong, everybody is flaming you for writing a tool that *will* be abused of.

15. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    While I am against spam as much as the next guy.. I have some things I would find it useful for.. In some segments it is perfectly acceptable to announce sites and such that are relevant and provide information on the topic. In fact it is encouraged.

The only thing there is every forum is different, has different rules and I really have to investigate and determine which forum is the best place to announce something. I don't think that kind of dilligence can be replicated in an automatic program. I would be interested in seeing a demo though.. just to see if it had any practical uses for it..
    But I see the number of bad uses it could have as well...

aeiouy, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  16. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    People are simply *concerned* that it'll be abused. What you've volunteered is a low level means to abuse a myriad of software and it's far from being specific to his tool. As for payload rewrites, who'd bother. They'd simply download a forum spamming tool.

If you have a better way for Racoon to prevent the abuse of his tool, then perhaps you should say so.. I'd like to hear it.

Give the guy a break and use your knowledge to assist - I think the client string idea is an easily implemented but effective solution. It won't prevent abuse outright, but if anything, it shows a responsible developer willing to address the issues and take abuse concerns on board.

My hats off to the guy. It's more than I can say for the asses that developed and released similar software with nothing but concern for their pocketbooks.

Racoon - don't let this stuff pull you down. There's always 2 sides to the coin.. unfortunately (and understandably so) most WM's have trouble seeing the light with what they've been thru courtesy of spammers.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  17. perdrix

perdrix Peon

Best Answers:
    Most forums are established by webmasters for a purpose. Either to support a product or organization, establish a community, and/or to make money off of the ads on the forum. My point being, that the program facilitates a use of the website that is not intended by the webmaster. It shows a lack of respect for the webmaster and everyone else within that community.

Paul, SPAM is defined differently by everyone, but the general consensus is that people SPAM in the hopes of making more money. The fact that you started a thread on this and many other forums that promotes what you clearly label as a "commercial tool" identifies this thread as merely a SPAM to get people interested to purchase your product.

perdrix, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  18. AndyBeard

AndyBeard Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you do a useful tool for forum users

Using bookmarks to switch between forums is not a major problem.

What is a major problem is updating profiles on every forum, each one having different versions of BBCode format.

There is also a need for being able to post articles formatted with BBCode, as many forums allow article posting, but use different codes, especially for colours and hypertext.

I would find something like this invaluable

AndyBeard, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  19. puneetbsl

puneetbsl Peon

Best Answers:
    Sir/Madam,
    i have this site http://www.binarysemantics.com. i need help as i want to grow the traffic in it. kindly help me

puneetbsl, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  20. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    The biggest problem is the "wrong hands" will make up the majority of your user base.

And the "right hands" are wondering how they can use it for good.

As a forum mod and forum admin (elsewhere) I think I'd soon pick up a feel for a post that seems to not fit in with the atmosphere of the forum. Particularly if it seems to be a new member.

It's amazing how quick Google can index forum comments. Mostly they don't rate highly for quality keywords but if you search for a string it'll show plenty of other forums where people have posted. Because there are already programs like this out there, being used on a daily basis by spammers.

If I find the same post on numerous forums and especially if the user is new, then I know that they're not going to be providing me with any quality discussions so I'll ban them.

Reprobate, Aug 1, 2007 IP