1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do about stolen images?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MattL, Sep 14, 2005.

I use a "border" technique for Adsense on some of my sites. It is featured on someones blog as a good example of this way of displaying it. Somebody obviously liked it as well and has stolen it for their own site. I found them in my logs. I thought it was strange to see a .co.il site in there. Sure enough, there was my images on their homepage.

I sent them a c&d to no avail. So now what? I don't think I could get them shut down because it's not that huge of a deal to any hosting provider and they might have their own server anyway. It's kind of like someone stealing $50 from you. It's not alot, but it's mine and you stole it!

I know who this person is and they probably frequent this and other webmaster forums. What would you do? Would you call them out and list all of their URL's, etc.?

Here is the image from my site:

[​IMG]

Here is his site:

[​IMG]

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  2. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    If they're using it from your server, change the image to something of your choice - perhaps you could include a little statement on it. ;)

If they're not using it from your server, I wouldn't care less. It's only a border.

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean they stole that background image or am i missing something ?

Design Agent, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  4. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Like I said, it's not alot. But I spent some of my time creating something unique for MY site. It's a principal thing. They just simply stole it.

So, if someone stole say $25 or $50 from you that wouldn't piss you off? How about if I take one of your original articles and use it on my site? You wouldn't care? It's only one article.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  5. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It's not a background image, but yes they stole the images.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  6. UndiesHosting

UndiesHosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    if they are "hot linking" it, which it sounds like they are because you saw the log entry, I would copy the image files that you use to a new location (or just rename them) and in the place of the old files, put new image files that would throw off the layout of the offenders web site. possibly a 800x800 square would work

funny this topic comes up because there was just an article on slashdot about fuddruckers.com (american hamburger chain) hot linking to a man's burgertime flash game and using his bandwidth. He configured his server to handle any traffic refferred from fuddruckers.com to display a letter condemning such web behavior instead of the game and waited until friday afternoon when everyone would be home from work.

UndiesHosting, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  7. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    I can understand you're upset, but I'm sure Adobe would be more upset to find you stole a product worth xxx ammount to make your border.

Come on, it's a border. I'd feel they was being cheeky if they we're serving it up from my server - I'd change the image to bright pink or something - but I wouldn't really care.

Feel flattered, if anything. :)

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  8. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    In this case, if its the brown background image behind the adsense, then I dont even think its worth pursuing, personally.

Now that you have published it here, there are going to be lots of variations anyway ;)

9. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt,

I don't think you answered: are they hot-linking or downloaded your images?

Liminal, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Make a crontab to send a 'polite' email every 2 minutes until he removes it or swaps it for something not owned by you.

T0PS3O, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  11. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not hotlinked now but probably was for a short time right after he copied and pasted my html into his site which is why it was in my logs.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  12. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Liminal, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  13. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment :rolleyes:

In a different thread I actually offered to show anybody that couldn't figure how to do how it's done or do one for them. Yea, I know your going to say it's not that hard, but some newbies would still need help.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  14. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    ... I don't understand... I took a peek at your site and I can't find that image anywhere... so where exactly did they steal your image from?

ElvisFan, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  15. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not upset, just irritated. What the hell are you talking about? I didn't use an Adobe product to make it, let alone a stolen one. An unwarranted statement like that actually get's me upset!

I can see why you are in the red.

Dude, you need to think before you type.....or just don't type.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  16. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought this thread might get moved from The Adsense forum. I was interested in what the Adsense publishers thought about it since it was related to that, but obviously that wasn't working well.

Does this fall under DMCA and can anything be done about it? It's not a huge deal, I just don't want people using my copyrighted stuff, even borders, backgrounds, icons or whatever without permission. I don't think that is unreasonable.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  17. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I'm sorry - which program did you use then, and did you pay for it?

I'm in the red because I say things people take offence at, but my points are always valid and reasonable, like in this thread.

It's a fucking border which could take a few minutes to make in any popular paint package, it's not content you've paid for or an image you've paid the rights for.. hell, who gives a shit? They haven't stolen money off you.

Chill out and forget about it. It's on a foreign site anyway.. it's a border... I don't understand why you're so angry over it?

Can't say I take life that serious .. I don't care if people steal my content that I've paid writers for, my ideas, my images.. I really don't care as long as I'm still making my money and my site's still successful.

Heck.. you're way to et-up over something so small and insignificant as a flippin' border.

Give me a red, I'll absorb your anger for you.

Heebyjeebiez. You didn't even listen to anyone or any suggestions we gave to begin with. You didn't say if they was hot linking it like many people asked, you didn't listen to the suggestions of replacing the image. You we're just so et-up over the fact someone nicked your logo....Man. Chill out, it's nothing.

Also: From the look of the sites in your signature you're using images from Amazon to draw attention to the Google adverts. I'm sure this isn't allowed, why don't you check that policy of Amazons? You aren't using those little images next to your large rectangles to promote the Amazon products, are you?

I think you just need a Malibuuu... seriasly easyyyyy going. :)

Then you need to listen to the radio in my signature........ and .... you won't care about that foreign person using your border..... weee..... wouldn't that be nice.

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  18. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    If they're hotlinking to the image, change it to also include "Stolen FROM", or even better, "CLICK THESE ADS!" Better make sure none of your own ads appear, though.

If they aren't hotlinking (check their site and right click on the image properties) then you would probably be better spending your energies pursuing something more rewarding.

mcfox, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    MattL likes this.
  19. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Just make a better one, move on. Its much less hassle.
    I had a site in Israel (co.il) steal images from a site.. No C&D, I just told them to put "images from {insert anchor here}" and that sorted it.

In this case thats not really going to work. Just be flattered and think if people are copying you then you must be doing well.

20. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blaming somebody that you don't know and know nothing about of theft is hardly reasonable. Get over yourself. Not everyone is like you. Do you have a serious character flaw or something?

You don't get it do you. It's the principal of the matter. I spent maybe 15 minutes on it. Therfore it is money. Time is money. That's not the point though, you don't just take something becasue you like it, even if it is worth just a few pennies. Did you go to Kindergarten? They teach that there. Maybe you should go back, you might learn everything you need to know.

I'll be sure to pass the word around.

Like I said, it was your attitude that was worse. I was just mildly irritated.

I'll bet you get into alot of bar fights.

Sure I did. I said it wasn't hotlinked. Some people replied before that. I wasn't sitting here refreshing the thread! No big deal.

Go back to the Adsense forum and get someone else to give you some red rep.

MattL, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.