1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dont matter if your white or black

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by wanboll, Sep 6, 2005.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the exact same thing...:rolleyes:

ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  2. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    You better believe it. It is great to get worked up, lose my perspective, then laugh at how seriously I take myself :O)))

mikmik, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  3. Worldwid

Worldwid Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw on the news, a police officer saw a 3 year old girl getting raped in the superdome and could do nothing to stop it. Madness, absolute madness. If I was there I would have done something to that low-life.

Worldwid, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  4. wanboll

wanboll Banned

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

wanboll, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  5. ZuraX

ZuraX Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love how all the Bush bashers put this on him. Where was the BLACK mayor? Why did he let all them buses get flooded instead of using them to get people out?

ZuraX, Sep 13, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Damnit...
    And just incase they feel like continuing this thread, please see this post :)
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=314002&postcount=46

SEbasic, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    gworld likes this.
  8. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with you to a point, SEbasic, and you know I have the same, or very similar, values to you regarding humanitarian intentions.

I also realize that hardly anyone at all changes their minds in these discussions. However, the problems here, as in my country, and many, many societies, is lack of education, and lack of knowledge of current events. We try to reach people when, as individuals, we feel there is a lack of understanding in areas that are important to everyone.

We also are in a section specifically set aside to talk about non web development and SEO stuff. There are all sorts of topics here, and I do not think it is balanced to say this topic is out of line, while all others that are non webdev and SEO are not.

Mostly though, it is a problem with the attitudes and lack of respect for each other in this thread, not the topic per se. Yes, I am extremely guilty of this type of behavior, and I am embarrassed at my replies in the past (and probably still will be ignorant at times in the future, I don't always have good judgment)

Everyone also has a choice to ignore these threads, what goes on is not an imposition on you or anybody, and I think that is a very important point. No one is forced to look at this or especially, participate.

I am very much against removing choices for people to make when these choices do not impose on anyone's rights.

That said, I do also think there is a time and a place for everything, and I must point out that at my forum, I discourage (now that I've learned some self restraint - well, some!) these types of discussions. I am not saying I disagree with these threads being counterproductive in a place like DP, and that they specifically can lower the standards of conduct to an unreasonable level for Digital Point, just that this is an open category, and I wish to make choices based on ethics, and not have them decided by what I consider are inappropriate reasons.

Again, I think the main problem are lack of reasoning skills, and mostly, plain lack of respect and attempts to understand each other. That is what makes these discussions so distasteful and wrong.

Myself, I am a childish hothead and abusive. I have growing to do, and I am trying to learn to make posts without name calling and insults and presenting my opinion as fact. Yeah, I have a long way to go, but I am just pointing out one little way that I can try to make something positive come of these types of discussions - learn to analyze myself and treat others with more respect, and don't take offense so quickly and easily.

Mostly, I just ignore the threads, when I have a clear head, LOL, realize that how I feel, and what I react to, and how, are my choice. I don't have to be a victim, and I don't have to let anybody get to me, or try to make them behave a certain way. As soon as I get upset at others and react to control them, I give away personal power.

BTW, I only just figured this out for myself, in the last couple of weeks. I am no better than anyone, just different, like we are all individuals. I try to see as that; different but not right or wrong, because although I know they are wrong according to my values, I have no right to suppose that my values are fundamental.

mikmik, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently gave you rep mik, otherwise I'd do it again...

I hear ya, I'm just amazed at the quantity of these threads now on DP and the way they seem to span completly out of control and end up with people resulting to personal insults and accusations.

Anyway, I've deemed to stay out of these threads now - I learnt that back when AC was still around... ;)

Cheers

Ol

SEbasic, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  10. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Great post Mik!

debunked, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There has been a lot of posting that politics or in reality Mr. Bush should not be discussed in DP and some how DP should stop these threads. The usual argument is that he and the subject has got nothing to do with SEO.
    This argument is pushed forward by those that who know very well the postings are done in General chat area and most subjects in this section has nothing to do with SEO.
    It is very funny that the same people who try to force everyone to silence and support censor, are the same people that support war in Iraq because it is supposedly exporting democracy to that country. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  12. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    That's quite the generalization man...Jesus do you think before you speak?

Dude I have kept my mouth shut for the most part, but, last I checked your Government was backing ours in that sand, we are not alone there man. How many American's do you see badmouthing your government every chance we get. How many others here are supporting terrorism like you so eloquently do every fricken chance you get. As I said in a previous post, don't like it??? Don't move here, we are much better without ya.

palespyder, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  13. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks, folks! It is a constant battle to know what is right these days, for me anyways. I learn a lot from everyone here, everyone. Even people I disagree with on one specific discussion, I try to remember (it's true whether I remember or not, LOL) that they know a whole heck of a lot of other things I don't.

It is pretty stressful these days with all the heavy stuff we read and see in the news, let alone our own personal lives. I have to remember that this affects all our behaviors, and it is probably a good idea to give veryone extra benefit of the doubt. I just believe that we all wish, in our own way, that everything was better for everyone, that we could all be happy and succesfull.

I feel very welcome here at DP, thanks guys :O))))))))))!!!

mikmik, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  14. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, that's it, I am covering my ears and going "lalalala..."

;O]

mikmik, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  15. Henny

Henny Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, let me tell you, all you bushwackers are just cementing the opinions of conservatives. Typically, when you blame a president for a hurricane, or the fact that FEMA was slow to act (no jurisdiction to do so) you just prove to me I made the right choice.

Attached Files:

Henny, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  16. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    Nah mikmik you don't have to, it's like when brothers and sisters fight, we argue, but, it's all love. I am not going to waste my time being angry with someone online, I like it here,

I don't argee with senseless bashing of a government that one does not pay taxes to, has no voting rights in, and has absolutely no right to judge. thats all. :) That would be like me badmouthing the British Monarchy....last time I tried just being funny, a girl from Bristol kicked me squarely in the junk, there was a lesson in that ;).

palespyder, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure a lot of dead Iraq's civilian felt the same way too, the only problem was your government insisted on exporting "democracy" and getting them killed. ;)

gworld, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  18. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, the several hundred thousand who were killed by Saddam may disagree with you gworld. Then again, you are used to that. ;)

zman, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you please show where did you find the several hundred thousand? Are you referring to Iraq-Iran war? I think the biggest massacre that they did was about 5000 Kurds in a village which by itself is unforgivable action but it is much lower the number of people killed during the last few years.
    It was brutal and corrupt government but the alternative has not been better for average people and possibly worse.

gworld, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  20. seant

seant Peon

Best Answers:
    democratization of the region might not be a bad idea-bad reasons for going or not. The fanaticism in the area is a huge economic and security concern. Imperialism is fine by me so long as both sides benefit from the changes.

seant, Sep 14, 2005 IP