1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's Version of DMOZ Directory ending?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by CReed, May 16, 2007.

I have to wonder if Google's version of the DMOZ directory may be coming to an end. There have been questions about when if ever Google would update their version of the directory for some time now and I can't see any evidence that the actual directory (not the search DB) has been updated since Feb. 2006.

The first indication we had that less importance might have been placed on the Google Directory was when they removed the directory category link under the listings in the search results.

Then the link to the directory from the homepage was removed and you had to navigate to an internal page to find a link to their directory. Remember the "more" link that had the "even more" option?

Well it's seems that this page which links to the directory is no longer reachable from their home page; or at least I'm no longer seeing a clear path.

Is there any way to navigate from Google's home page to the directory?

Might be a sign. ;)

CReed, May 16, 2007 IP
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ivan Bajlo, May 16, 2007 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    But Ivan, you haven't edited in many month's. The truth is finally revealed, you are one of those lazy editors! :mad: :D

compostannie, May 16, 2007 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  4. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know Ivan; the version of G's homepage I'm seeing no longer has a link to the directory or to the "more" page that links to the directory.

CReed, May 16, 2007 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it is pretty much true it was only in last few months that I have discovered trick of creating new categories to get my edits count up if I stayed my edit count would be in thousands by now. :rolleyes:

It is two click away, just go to about and then Google Services & Tools.

Ivan Bajlo, May 17, 2007 IP
  6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the map Ivan, I couldn't find it on my own. :(

Just happy to see it's still there and still accessible. Now we just need them to update it and put a direct link to the directory on the main page and I'll be happy.

compostannie, May 17, 2007 IP
  7. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ivan. I wasn't aware that that page was still linked to. But I still believe there's less importance placed on the directory that Google hosts, and I doubt you'll see it linked to from the home page again Annie.

I'm skeptical if they'll actually update the directory. :(

CReed, May 18, 2007 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes special training to find it... it is called click everywhere! :D

For that to happen we would need to clone you (and few others) so that DMOZ gets at lest a thousand hard working editors. I'm afraid if we saw monthly statistics in edits per editor we would have few dozen doing entire work. :(

DMOZ needs to change badly, joining forces with Wikipedia and getting hands on there editor pool would be the simplest course of action but this would demanded total attitude change in DMOZ. Also paranoid secrecy would need to be brought under control and I doubt metas and admin would like to be responsible to community for there actions also not to mention idea that somebody can advance based on votes of other editors instead of only approval from above. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, May 18, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    CReed is still correct, though. DMOZ has become Google's orphaned black sheep nephew. There is no link to the Google Directory, not even in the drop down "more" menu from the main navigation bar.

The fact that the only way to get to it if you don't have the URL bookmarked is to click on "About" (who clicks on "About" anyway these days?) is the first indication of its utter lack of importance in Google's eyes. The second is that even when you get to the About page, it's not obvious:

and the third is as CReed says it hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

minstrel, May 19, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sarcasm sweetie. :D

um, I do but I admit I'm a bit unusual.

compostannie, May 19, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Aah ur not unusual, ur the best editor dmoz could have ever had :)

paidhosting, May 19, 2007 IP
  12. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    I typed directory into Google, and the Google Directory came up as the first result.

I know people here are unusual in that they may never even think of using Google to find things on the web. But a great many people in the outside world do use Google for that purpose.

So having a position 1 result for a keyword is often a sign that a site is rated highly by Google (at least for that keyword).

It does seem to me, on that basis, that the Google Directory is still ranked highly by Google.

dharmarucci, May 20, 2007 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Then why haven't they bothered to update it in a year and a half? Would you do that to one of your directories that you valued?

minstrel, May 20, 2007 IP
  14. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For some reason, I'm no longer seeing a link to Google's version of the directory on that page anymore.

CReed, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers: