1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ dead?!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jMike, May 14, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    heheheh yes i do know.... its called SPAM and i get enough daily trust me its a yahoo account :p

annie i wasnt refering to you in any way at all so......
    I have no clue what you mean :confused:

as for that thread that was long gone and forgotten and i didnt realize that you had answered it as i never bothered to even read it :eek:

But i will now.....

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 15, 2007 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    In that thread I explained what happened. The whole thing was my fault, I made the mistakes. I'm not proud of it, but I was sick and didn't realize I was impaired. Although I made some bad mistakes I still believe some of the sites that were removed were listable and shouldn't have been removed. But we'll talk about those internally when I'm up to it. I can be very stubborn when I think I'm right. ;)

compostannie, May 15, 2007 IP
  3. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ya know any we all make mistakes....

ive made many that i dont talk about openly as i see no need to...
    but it takes a bigger person to confront them and admit to them ;)

heheheh stubborn .... whats that :rolleyes: im the king of that :D

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 15, 2007 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for understanding Malcolm.

compostannie, May 16, 2007 IP
  5. csn123

csn123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted to DMOZ on several occasions and as far as I'm aware, I'm not listed. All listings are placed in proper categories and I don't keyword stuff the listing. But I don't get anywhere.

I agree that it would be helpful to know the outcome of their decision and a short reason why. Eg:

Dear XXX,

Your listing (YYY) with the URL (ZZZ) has been rejected from DMOZ because:

- It was submitted to the wrong category

Regards,

DMOZ

Surely this would help build a better DMOZ? Especially if this was tied into email verification as it *should* reduce spam entries.

My 2 pence!

csn123, May 16, 2007 IP
  6. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    It would have the opposite effect. Telling a spammer or scammer that there current attempt to get in failed, would only let them immediately start on the next attempt. Its better for all to keep them guessing if there latest scam has been detected or not.

Given that a DMOZ link is not that valuable, I get increasingly amazed at the lengths some go to get in "under the radar scope" - they ruin it for all and take up and amazing amount of an editors time.

martty, May 16, 2007 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sites are never rejected for being submitted to the wrong category, editors simply move them to the right category where they sit and wait for another editor to review them. Although a misplaced submission won't get you rejected it will always increase your review time. That's not good but it's better than being deleted.

compostannie, May 16, 2007 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    So your basically putting legit websites which got rejected because of something in the same basket as spammers? How nice of you - NOT. :mad:

Wouldn't be simpler if submission forum would check URL and then return response:
    • URL pending review
    • spam, this URL is labeled as spam and it will be rejected, if you bought domains recently and think this is wrong contact us
    • wrong language, this website is labeled as non-English please try it in World category or if you added content in English please proceed

Ivan Bajlo, May 16, 2007 IP
  9. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeay, Annie is back, now there will be increase in DMOZ efficiency by 300%! :D

But if that category has no editor (hint: World categories) there is little difference between moved or deleted. ;)

10. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is not dead yet but, seems that they don't accept new sites. :cool:

maldives, May 16, 2007 IP
  11. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    If a site was rejected, the chances of it being made listable are so slim (short of firing the design team, trashing the site, and starting all over from scratch pretty much no chance) it is still meaningless to send an automated response. All it would do is give an honest suggestor the opportunity to become a misguided spammer at best and at worst cause added problems. Afterall everyone thinks their own site is the greatest one ever created, so the frustration of having ones perfectly designed site rejected could not possibly have a positive effect.

Simpler? How?
    1. URL Pending Review - Continue adding content and building site to fit needs of customers.
    2. Spam, this URL is labeled spam and it will be rejected, you bought domains recently and think its wrong contact us - Oops your junk site was caught, time to spam the directory in a different way immediately to try and sneak it through, oh and brilliantly another way to spam- send unwanted emails to admin and editors.
    3. Wrong language....... - site is NOT going to be rejected for submitting to the wrong category, let alone wrong language so this is totally useless.

BS - I have added close to a dozen sites today so far and corrected or added hundereds of listings this month so far in categories that interest me. Not one of them that I can recall was from the public submissions though.

copperdrum, May 16, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  12. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Could be true. My post ealier was based on number of commnets we see daily from forum members here. :) It is 3 months since I submitted a couple of sites but yet to get listed. I am sure the sites are good quality and meets the guidelines. It is editors who decided. :rolleyes:

maldives, May 16, 2007 IP
  13. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah and as we all know or should know, if you are happy there is no need to say thanks or comment at all, but by jove if you feel scorned then you have a duty to go and complain as loudly as you possibly can, anywhere you can. ;)

Editors don't decide if the site is listable, the guidelines do. It just happens to take an editor with a pulse to be interested enough in the category AND in working in public submissions there to find, review and list those sites.

14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your joking, Right. ;)

popotalk, May 16, 2007 IP
  15. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    No joke and you know it.

16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Really ? Can you give me specific guidelines for a site to be listable ? I am very anxious to know about this.

BTW: Congratulations for adding 12 sites today. :rolleyes:

17. painthappy

painthappy Peon

Best Answers:
    I once tried to become a maintainer of once of Dmoz sections... many moons ago out of altrusitic reasons... Got denied for no good reason too.

I don't know anyone who actually uses it. The idea was sound, but the lack of maintainers keep it down.

painthappy, May 16, 2007 IP
  18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    In other words many people don't a have a clue what DMOZ guidelines says, they are newbie webmaster NOT professional spammers, seo experts etc. giving them insight of the links status would be simplest way of taking care of useless submissions not to mention massive public relations boost.

Do you really believe that professional spammers already don't have at lest one editor account so they can read notes and fix there errors, although by now they are making websites which will get listed at DMOZ without problems.

Morons have been spamming editors e-mails and making home calls for years so helping few honest webmasters will be worth more then current secrecy paranoia and naming all webmaster spammers. :cool:

You obviously aren't very active editor or you would notice submission of the same non-English website to non-world categories over and over... it would be useful to both webmasters and editors so they don't have to go through that.

Virtually all the website (almost 500) I have added while being editor have been added by me, there was only 10-12 public submissions in two years while I was editor in categories I use to maintain. :(

Guidelines are so much general that almost anything can be listed or deleted depending on editors personal views. :rolleyes:

19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    There is always wikipedia, you don't even have te register to edit and there is plenty of articles badly needing maintenance. ;)

It was sound back in 1999, now it would need 100,000 editors just to keep up with internet growth.

20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ACK !! Pffffft !! Motzie !! :D