1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will publishing free articles damage my site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by fcmisc, Sep 12, 2005.

Will publishing a few articles from free article sites damage my website?

I already have lots of original content, but would like to add some articles from other sources to balance out the views.

Kind Regards,

fcmisc

fcmisc, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    If done correctly it will not damage your website. Only 2 things can happen:
    - Because your website grows, and you get another page, you get more visitors.
    - Because of duplicate content, some engines do not think too highly of the article, and devalue the article ITSELF (not your website!) so this particular article does not influence your website too much.

In other words, IF something happens (which is usually likely...) it will be a positive change.

Dirkjan, Sep 12, 2005 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  3. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    Its always better to have original content.

king_cobra, Sep 12, 2005 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  4. smbotans

smbotans Peon

Best Answers:
    i would make sure above all that the articles you add to your site are along the theme of your site and that they are keyword rich

given that search engines such as google love fresh content and that they do require themes of web sites, then adding articles over a period of time would be great for your site

i would suggest adding a few articles each week rather than a big bunch in one day and then nothing for 6 months

serge

smbotans, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  5. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would not publish articles that are already on a million websites. I'd try and get as much unique stuff as possible.

lorien1973, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  6. smbotans

smbotans Peon

Best Answers:
    that is not a problem, you still need to have your articles keyword rich and relevant to your web site

serge

smbotans, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  7. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    I think not but it would be better to have unique contents.

angelfire, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Read Matt Cutt's blog and you;ll find an instance where someone emailed about his site being banned. One of the things Matt sent in the reply was the fact that the majority of the site was copied/scraped.

So yeah, it could harm you I guess. Just keep a healthy ratio between yours and external content. Or better even, exclude non-unique content with the robots.txt file.

T0PS3O, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  9. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I get new articles from article sites that are relevant and are so new that they haven't been indexed yet (or only indexed from the article site). As my site is crawled every day by all teh main engines I know the article on my site will be one of the first to be indexed. In addition I add rss feeds to the page where the article is, just to give it a bit of variety. Alternatively you could add a 'comment on this article' section to the page with the article on. Thats probably a better idea, I just couldn't be bothered!

I havce been using this method for a month or so and haven't seen anything bad happen yet.

just my 2c.

heapseo, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Add lots of good text to the template where the articles lie too. It will mean your pages target slightly different keywords and will be a bit less of a duplicate - which cant hurt.

Design Agent, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I have been using articles for years. If done right they can add to your site by not only bringing in visitors but give existing visitors a resource.

Whenever I add an article I always ask, will this improve my site?

So the advice you have gotten so far is good. Don't scrape 1,000's of unrelated articles but instead add those related ones your visitors will appreciate.

As far as not being able to get them indexed, as long as you follow DA's advice to nest them within unique content or navigation and pay special attention to your Title and Metas (making them unique) you will be completely fine. In fact you can easily outrank the "original".

ie. http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=site:www.articledepot.co.uk&meta=

yfs1, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  12. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok Then It's mean If we take related article, and then some editing with good related keywords, takes a Good Visitors. YES Or No :)

Pammer, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

Best Answers:
    No, you can't edit the article...That can get you in a lot of trouble

yfs1, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  14. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't hurt you - Dirkjan got it right. I use keyword rich articles that are relevant and useful. They are a great opportunity to not only add pages but provide keyword anchor links to other internal pages.

Since my site isn't dynamic, and SEO friendly I've had visitors from search engines almost immediately after publishing the page.

I naturally prefer original content but if the shoe fits...

rbucich, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  15. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:

What's type of Trouble :confused: Yfs1

Pammer, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Legal ones right off the bat...I have also seen Google remove an entire site (although much more rare) after complaints.

You will also have the original author emailing your host to complain and 99 times out of 100 the host themselves will get involved (removing your site if neccesary) as the last thing they want is a legal battle

I know this because I have succesfully gotten sites taken down that plagiarised my articles ;)

yfs1, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  17. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. I've had some of my writers contact sites first hand to remove articles that were CLEARLY altered from the original context of which they were created. Plagiarism is rife throughout the net. The last thing you want to do is get into a copyright battle with an author.

I ran into the same thing while running a website where copyrighted pictures were frequently used. That was a pain in the ass to regulate as I had users uploading pictures that I legally could not show.

Not that I'm biased, cough, but original content is the way to go. Whether YOU create it, or have someone else do it for you. Generally speaking, we all run sites which we have some sort of interest in..it may be worth your time to crank out some articles each week to reinforce your position in the SE rankings.

jeeplaw, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  18. tltfaas

tltfaas Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi everyone,

I've never heard of anyone having problems with using free reprint articles on their website but if that concerns you then you should try article wrapping. I stumbled upon a little e-book that walks you through wrapping the free reprint article with a brief introduction and a wrap-up paragraph.

The report is archived on one of my sites and the author granted readers the right to distribute for free!

http://www.ArticlesThatSell.com/01-article-wrapping.pdf

All the best,

Bonnie

tltfaas, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  19. AndyBeard

AndyBeard Peon

Best Answers:
    If you wrap an article carefully you can actually achieve some amazing results.

I actually have one blog in the SEO niche that almost every post (and there are not many) is just a carefully wrapped article. Comments before and after each.

On that blog I choose the articles because they loosely fit the them, and are quality content. I do all the optimization for my specific keywords within the wrapping.

The content then becomes a good source, not of primary keywords, but of secondary keywords within the same niche.

AndyBeard, Sep 14, 2005 IP