1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is it even worth creating a directory anymore?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Pixelrage, May 14, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cool glad to hear it :D

You will need other web directories for backlinks as well as advertising and we hope you wont forget to send a few bucks our way :D

malcolm1, May 15, 2007 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do it, make a real commitment. Put your heart into it, otherwise it might be just another of the thousands of crappy directories out there. Make an effort to have good listings in every category even if you have to search the web to find them and list them for free. Empty categories are BAD, avoid having them. Don't be afraid to reject submissions, even paid submissions.

It's pretty easy to tell which directories have owners who care. ;)

compostannie, May 15, 2007 IP
    ErectADirectory likes this.
  3. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are surprisingly high-maintenance. Although it may not seem that way from looking at some, you actually have to put a lot of effort in to it. You will need to rewrite descriptions, build original categories, add your own listings, and periodically check all your old links for ones that have expired or turned to spam.

Writing a blog is probably easier, in terms of the fact that once you've written it, you may have to monitor comments (if you have them turned on), but you won't have to go back and rewrite each post every two years. Whereas with a directory, depending on the types of links you accept, it's not unusual to find that after a couple of years half of them are no longer working.

Obelia, May 16, 2007 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the remainder of these comments. My main fear is making a SECOND mistake by starting yet another site that won't cash out in any way. I spent 6 months putting a lot of heart & soul into a video site, which looks wonderful and gets a decent amount of hits, but it makes $0.00 - $0.45 a day, and I'm beyond disappointed, I just dont want something like that to happen again.

I barely have time for anything, too - which is another factor here :( I'm about to start a marketing blog and already have about 20 decent articles that are 100% finished and very content rich. I initially wanted to open a 'portfolio' of different sites, to see how they all earn on a monthly basis, which is why I kind of wanted to get my directory site going. I already spend 2 months on my directory site. The categories were all made by hand and by research - and they go down 5-6 subcategories for every topic, in most cases.

Pixelrage, May 16, 2007 IP
  5. nando

nando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally feel you man.. I feel the same way - I hate working my ass off on something and getting nothing in return... I think I'm gonna go for it tho - I', planning to start 2 directories - 1 general and 1 pc related.. i guess we'll have to see if our hard work is rewarded...

nando, May 16, 2007 IP
  6. teamcambier

teamcambier Peon

Best Answers:
    But generally, if your directory has a PR of 5 or 6, then sell ads/links to boost others rankings...populate your categories best ya can, make some consistent revenue, then sell it off or hold onto it.

teamcambier, May 16, 2007 IP
  7. gmansky

gmansky Peon

Best Answers:
    Just an opinion.

I believe if you look at your directory as a business, AND this is something you really like doing, you should be able to find ways to make it profitable. It starts with a sound biz plan. If one will take it from whatever Mr. Guru will tell most of us to do this and that, then wham, you're going to get 9 figure income from your website. Doesn't quite happen that way most of the time.

As a lot of folks pointed out, it will take hard work. But it must start with a plan and biz mindset to serve. Sure, the net may have millions of directory out there but if yours will serve a certain segment of the industry that you are passionate, then the dollars will come. If it is a hobby, then it does not really matter if you make it or not. If you treat it as a business, you must set a goal/target and create a way to achieve MINI-success along the way to create momentum for you.

gmansky, May 16, 2007 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    *THE* most important thing that you need when making a directory and trying to promote it and bring it to the top is:

[​IMG]

gotta shake them haters loose, because they are plentiful, run wild on DP, and talk a lot of shit.

***These are a MUST have***​

an0n, May 16, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And I am one of them --:D Its because of people like me your Directory Dump is on TOP:eek:

[​IMG]

jhnrang, May 16, 2007 IP
  10. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I got a directory. Now if only I could log in to the admin panel.....LOL
    HELPPPPP :D

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, May 16, 2007 IP
  11. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    To the OP, the one rule above is not just a rule. Its actually a KEY to unlock the door of Key Factors of successful Directory Business.

Along with spending money to promote, you must be ready to do a lot of hard work. (and I mean A LOT)

Fastian, May 17, 2007 IP
  12. bokevoll

bokevoll Guest

Best Answers:
    I were also hoping to make some money on one of my new dierctories.

Just by the name it has to be a success :D

And, I have spendt / am spending quite a bit in marketing.

Unless I change my signature, You will see it at the right.

bokevoll, May 17, 2007 IP