1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ dead?!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jMike, May 14, 2007.

Well, after submitting my site to DMOZ few months ago, and by getting no reply what so ever, I have decided to check and see whats the deal here;

So, few people in this great forum (and in others also...) say that it might be dead, other say that it had changed to meet the "author's interests" not to list your site (while i see few sites that are listed in more than 5 directories under the same top level one), and some other say that it still takes time.

Dead (or partially numb...) - isn't there an official that can give an answer?
    Author's interests not to publish - Is there a author hierarchy so one can check other's integrity?
    Takes time - 1)The author has a huge list --> why not except new authors?
    2) wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of a system that would tell the status of the request? 9not that it would matter for the time it takes to list, but it would be nice to have some sort of an idea of the status :)

I'm a newbie here, and just bringing up few thoughts, that i think (more than) few of us have.

jMike.

jMike, May 14, 2007 IP
  2. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    Given that DMOZ is the fastest growing directory, how can it be dead?
    Just download a couple a sequential rdf dumps and see the number of sites that are added monthly - no other directory is coming close to that number.
    I assume you mean editors? Where did you get the information that none are being accepted. >200 were accepted in the last 4-5 weeks.
    Thats been debated ad nauseum and DMOZ are not going to do it (mostly to with DMOZ not being a listing service and it would provide too much info to those trying to scam DMOZ).
    Even if DMOZ had such a system, what would you do with the information:
    1) Submission received --> Life goes on and there is nothing more you can do about it
    2) Move to another category for review --> Life goes on and there is nothing more you can do about it
    3) Waiting to be reviewed --> Life goes on and there is nothing more you can do about it
    4) Listed --> Life goes on and there is nothing more you can do about it
    5) Rejected --> Life goes on and there is nothing more you can do about it

Submit it. Forget about it.

martty, May 14, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    R.I.P

toooooo short

SasaVtec, May 14, 2007 IP
  4. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    lol. DMOZ lists more sites every few days (check the numbers in the RDF dump) than the total number of sites listed in the directory in your signature. Who should RIP?

martty, May 14, 2007 IP
  5. D-Block

D-Block Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz editors suck, thus, Dmoz IS dead. =|

D-Block, May 14, 2007 IP
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dammm it.......... they forgot to pay the hosting bill again :p

malcolm1, May 14, 2007 IP
  7. jMike

jMike Guest

Best Answers:
    you're right, and I did, but after i saw one site appears 5(!) times in a relatively small niche dir, and mine not even once, it aaaaaall came up to me again... :eek:

jMike, May 15, 2007 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    It is growing? 15,281 links in past four months and robozilla has yet to go on dead link hunt which will kill probably about 50,000 links.

Since average is quarter of a link a month per editor, hardly something to brag about. :rolleyes:

How many left DMOZ since the crash? And there is still that little fact that on average each editors adds quarter of a link a month which is odd since there use to be rule if you do nothing for three months you get removed automatically.

Paranoia at its best, everyone is trying to scam DMOZ so that is why we try to list as less websites as possible... and keep everything top secret - never mind the fact that probably every spammer with few points of IQ is editor hiding in some unrelated category and reading editors notes so he can fix his websites and spam DMOZ over and over...

BTW what was goal of DMOZ again? Help the average surfer? It seems everyone from editors to meta and admins (with few exceptions) have completely forgotten about true goal of DMOZ - that is if they even known it in the first place. :p

Ivan Bajlo, May 15, 2007 IP
    compostannie and minstrel like this.
  9. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you care to share a link? I assume that by 'niche dir' you mean a small niche category? Sites can be listed in mulitple categories if they fit certain criteria, but generally the same site isn't/shouldn't be listed in the same category or its sub-categories. I am sure more than one of us (sucking editor's) would be glad to look at it, IF you could share the category in question.

copperdrum, May 15, 2007 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not dead and not even dying. It's a huge project and it's flourishing so much that it's hard for editors to keep up on submissions.

Sometimes I think the real reason we keep hearing in forums that "DMOZ is Dead" is that webmasters who know better are trying to keep others from submitting so they have a better chance of being listed themselves. But then I tell myself that would be paranoid. Yet, paranoid theories about DMOZ are everywhere. It's almost spooky. ;)

compostannie, May 15, 2007 IP
  11. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is just resting... :p

while i think its great to have so many editors and great that google or Aol or
    whoever owns it this time would be so kind as to offer 50,000 people employment
    it still comes back to the old saying that...

To many chiefs and not enough indians....

basically for me to take DMOZ serious thier needs to be some type of structure
    to were that listing is reviewed by MANY editors and not just 1 thats been possably
    Paid under the table or has it in for that submitter and wont list his sites...

While many may say well malcolm you are swayed over the $$ that influences
    your decision which is not true...(as i reject many site and return the review fee)
    but also im not running around with a PR8 either so... and we all know that Dmoz
    is very popular threwout the world were mine arent.... just YET :D

I believe that DMOZ will also NOW have to re-review ALL sites listed for QUALITY
    as its got so many dead links and links from old companies that sold that domain and are now
    still listed and totally different in respects to the catagory that was submitted to that it
    does in fact become a very dangerous if matt cutts words are to be takin seriously about Quality.

just my 2 cents

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 15, 2007 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya think? ROFLMAO :D

Malcolm, I don't know what matt cutts said or how it would apply to the ODP. Will you please share your insight on this with us?

13. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I first signed up to these forums just because I wanted to chat about DMOZ. lol. I submitted a personal site of mine a few days after they brought back the submission form. I never got accepted yet and now I just totally don't care no more :) The first 3-4 weeks I checked quite often to see if I would be listed, but now just totally stopped.

I think this mentality towards DMOZ is a bit contagious, and once webmasters just literally submit and forget, the more and more people will care less about DMOZ...which may lead some people for thinking its "DEAD"...at least in the webmaster world. As for DMOZ's visitors who go there to find sites, then I don't know about their attitude or the mentality of those folks.

LeopardAt1, May 15, 2007 IP
  14. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    well matt updated his comments on paid links and also brought up much about his
    feelings regarding web directories and in general...

One big part of his answer back to us is about QUALITY
    and quality control would be something that falls
    Under PAID review directories as well as FREE Review Directories

Heres just a small piece of the content.....

- What is the quality of urls in the directory? Suppose a site rejects 25% of submissions,
    but the urls that are accepted/listed are still quite low-quality or spammy.
    That doesn’t speak well to the quality of the directory.

Well just that sentence tells me that Quality of urls submitted into any directory wether free or paid
    will be a determining factor on googles algo towards all directories and with DMOZ having so many urls
    and urls that used to be about 1 thing and now the site was sold or changed and now has nothing to
    do with the catagory it was placed in what will dmoz do to clean up the contenet and be Fair at the same time...

Ill let you read threw and come to your own thoughts and/or conclusions.... matts blog

Also the chiefs and indians...

what im trying to say is that when a site is that important PR8
    that it offers links with the values it does is it fair to allow just
    1 editor to review a site? im sure you will agree that more then
    1 should be per catagory and that it should be judged fairly
    within a fair and unbiased panel of editors...

thx
    malcolm

compostannie likes this.
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    That was very helpful malcolm, thank you. :)

I don't think it would be wise to use a panel of editors to review submissions. We simply don't have the man power to do that. Right now it only takes one editor to review and list a site and submissions can take forever to be seen, can you imagine how long it would take if we needed a panel of editors to approve a site? That's a scary thought.

1 person likes this.
  16. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Im sure your very right annie... ;)

but again whats scary is getting such a powerful link :eek:
    from an inner page with direct PR from dmoz to a site thats not worthy
    and to shune a very good quality site due to 1 man/women personal taste .... :(

thx
    malcolm

17. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    with all due respect to my clients and friends about their opinion on DMOZ, i have to disagree with most of you from now on. I was once neutral about DMOZ, more on the negative side about it to be honest... but after becoming an editor a week ago, and reading all of documentation, regulations and approval guidelines I have to say, only ONE directory comes close to being a competition and that is Yahoo.

No offense malcolm, but believe me, and don't judge me... DMOZ has smart guidelines and many editors are actually very helpful and active.

It takes quite some time for an editor to approve a listing, and there are many many categories without editors which need help. If you JUST FOLLOW THE RULES and submit your editor application, you are very likely to become one.

aspidov, May 15, 2007 IP
  18. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    I dont get offended easily .....

Im also an editor but not for DMOZ but another......

I agree that most editors are stand up reputable people but you
    will have your rotten eggs in every carton of eggs and its those i speak off
    not anyone editor in mind ... but the point was proven when the editor in charge
    of web directories section started adding directories that had no business being there...
    and others that should be arent listed which proves to me that what i think is true...

also you have committed an error by disclosing that you are an editor as im sure you will now
    start receiving countless emails asking for special attention and/or bribes......

as for wanting to be an editor..... NO thx ill humbly pass ;)

thx
    malcolm

19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not true. I haven't received a single bribe offer here.

I've had some messages asking for special treatment but I ignore those, I don't even respond. You may think that's rude, but I think it's rude to ask for special treatment when it's against the guidelines. How would you feel if someone sent you email out of the blue asking you to do something for their benefit that is wrong and will get you in trouble? The deserve no reply imo. :mad:

20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    No editor is in charge of the web directories section. Malcolm, can I ask if are you referring to this post? Do you think I'm a rotton egg? There is no more explanation than what I already wrote, it is what it is. :(