1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long to wait to resubmit

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JesterMagic, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no need for financial bonus what is need is revolution to overthrown theocracy running DMOZ and finally bring in democracy into that fake open community!

At DMOZ any advance needs to be approved from above so anyone not on the party line, heretics and other trouble makers bringing new ideas are easily blocked, normal editor has zero rights - he can be removed without ever knowing the reason and he is not even given a chance to defended himself or explain his actions so you don't even need proof to remove somebody since nobody will ask you about it. :mad:

Now compared that system to Wikipedia where anyone can nominate himself for admin and if he gets enough support from established users and there is no serious complains against him he can easily become admin - also if admin is abusive same process can be used to remove him - of course this only works when there is enough users, smaller wikipedia with handful of admins and users are suffering from same problems as DMOZ when few admins take power and refuse to give it up. :(

So guess why Wikipedia is constantly expanding, changing, improving and only thing that is growing at DMOZ is backlog?

Ivan Bajlo, May 1, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That would be a beautiful thing...

Now maybe we need to have our collective voices heard by all emailing AoL?

I'm not talking about a "form letter" or petition...I'm talking about each and every one of us sending in individualized complaints, suggestions, recommendations, and random questions in.

Though sadly, I doubt that'll actually happen. People are seemingly more content to continue complaints in places that make no difference (like here) rather then actually sending in something that could make them happier.

Qryztufre, May 3, 2007 IP
  3. ed146

ed146 Guest

Best Answers:
    It took my site around 4 months to get listed on Dmoz. On top of that Dmoz listed my site as an RSS site so I had to send them an e-mail which took another 3 months to get it fixed =(

ed146, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The DMOZ editors have their own forum. For all you want to know about...

Some tips before you submit:

1 Make sure the content of your site is fresh, relevant and free of defects. You can test it with SiteReportCard.com
    2. Do not submit the site to DMOZ until you score at least 8.
    3. After your submission, go to
    resource-zone.com read the threads - join the forum, be polite, post with thoughts that others will not find offensive. (Posting in the Dmoz forum is good for backlinks.)
    4. Do not slag off other forums in posts. Treat others as you would wish they treat you.

My last submission needed just a week to be accepted.

What was said in this thread before about resubmitting could be corrected by an DMOZ editor who states: Resubmit just once after a month, your new subission will override your old one and you are set back to the end of the list, so don't wait 6 month, just one and then forget it.

monfis, May 7, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    An absolute bull. :D

What backlinks ? :confused:

popotalk, May 7, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's the first I've heard of such a site, or ranking system.

As I've never heard of what you mentioned on point1, I guess it's oblivious why I'm clueless here ;)

They do not allow sig links (unles you are a mod) and they generally get a bit huffy when people start posting links. Regardless though, they will not discuss how your site is doing in the queue, or even give an opinion on it (in most cases).

That goes without saying for any forum...

Anything like that said by an editor is based ONLY on that editors categories. An editor only has to show up once every three months, so IMHO, it's likely wise to wait at least that long.

Qryztufre, May 7, 2007 IP
  7. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    The best ways to get your site reviewed quicker are:
    1. Read the Suggestion Instructions carefully.
    2. Suggest the site once, to the 1 best category that the site belongs too.
    3. Pay attention to the Editing Guidelines for writing proper Titles and Descriptions and write yours in accordance to those guidelines.
    4. Actually work on your site by adding unique content yourself. (hint: don't rip off someone elses work, and don't buy someone elses work to add content to your own site)
    5. Move on to other things important to promoting the site.

copperdrum, May 8, 2007 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That worked until 2004, I've managed to get nine deeplinks listed with minimal changes of description, nothing since then. :(

Got other advices?

Ivan Bajlo, May 8, 2007 IP
  9. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Qryztufre,

I didn't mention anything about signitures. You are very critical which I appreciate, but doing it "right/polite" - have a look at tis page (PR 7) resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14251

monfis, May 8, 2007 IP
  10. bradmc

bradmc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think my site, www.reviewsnest.com would get accepted?
    An affiliate marketing site - but reviews are honest and give a lot of content and new data to site visitors.

bradmc, May 14, 2007 IP
  11. snipergrunge

snipergrunge Peon

Best Answers:
    I often suggest 4-6 month.

snipergrunge, May 14, 2007 IP
  12. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    Have you wondered why you are not listed? Every time you resubmit, you just overwrite the previous submission with the new date. (assuming it was not deleted as not listable). If the editor sorts the pool of suggested sites by date, then you keep moving yourself to the bottom.

martty, May 14, 2007 IP
  13. JesterMagic

JesterMagic Peon

Best Answers:

It's a crap shoot. Most of DMOZ guidelines for categories say no affiliate content but you then go look in the category and it's got affiliate sites in it and/or sites just loaded with banner and text ads.

It doesn't hurt to try, just find the best category for your submission.

JesterMagic, May 14, 2007 IP
  14. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    I have not seen any guidelines that say NO affiliate sites. Can you direct me to them. I have seen the guidelines about when sites with affiliate links should and should not be listed.

martty, May 14, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    What if I know for a fact that there is no other submissions in that category except my. :p

Ivan Bajlo, May 15, 2007 IP
  16. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Then chances are you wouldn't be asking this question. :rolleyes:

copperdrum, May 15, 2007 IP
  17. warley

warley Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted 6 months ago with no success was thinking about re submitting but if it goes against you dont think i'll bother.

warley, May 16, 2007 IP
  18. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Well since that would have been impossible (6 months ago, the directory was down due to technical difficulties) either you have suggested the site since around the first of the year or before the crash in October (7 months ago) you have different options. If you suggested your site once the directory recovered and opened up the site suggestions (around the end of December/First of January IIRC) then no resubmitting won't really help anything. If you suggested before the crash in October, then chances are that the submission was lost in the crash and suggesting it one time now would be advisable (assuming its listable) and acceptable.

copperdrum, May 16, 2007 IP
  19. topee333

topee333 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know how long it usually takes for an editor to approve a new submission? I submitted a website about 2 months ago and I'm still waiting... is it really 6 months?

topee333, May 31, 2007 IP
  20. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few years (if the site meets the listing guidelines) to never (if the site does not meet the listing guidelines).

I came across some stats a while ago that showed that half of all sites that get listed in DMOZ were never submitted in the first place. Of those that were listed and had been submitted, half of them were done so within 3 months of being submitted.

martty, Jun 1, 2007 IP