1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Isn't it the time for an official ASP code???

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Zinho, Sep 11, 2005.

Dear Shawn,
    don't you think that relying upon unofficial asp codes for the coop at this point is a bit sad? Considering the success of the coop, you or someone for you should produce some 100% compliant code for the coop.
    Each time an update occurs we have to see what to invent to make it validate.
    What if all asp powered site left the coop? Wasn't this an enormous loss for the coop itself? I really appreciate your work and efforts over the coop and I'm impressed by its success but you should think much more on this issue.
    I will try to go through the new php file to produce some working asp code, cause my own is no more validating...
    Please accept my criticism and keep up the great job

Zinho, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are no plans for an official version beyond the PHP version. If the ASP sites leave because of that, then they leave...

There is an ASP.NET version that works fine (just doesn't support the static ads option [only rotating]).

digitalpoint, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  3. Cecil

Cecil Peon

Best Answers:
    We've been aggressively trying to learn why we aren't validating for the last 24 hours but haven't found the answer. I'm afraid that we're finally about to be shaken off coop. At least now there's an option out there. The asp sites have somewhere else to go. It's too bad. I really liked opportunity to mix things up between a couple networks (following the rules by the way).

The coop is huge. I'm just curious...how many asp sites are out there?

I'm sure the asp sites will start dropping off faster since it's easier to participate in a network that provides some support. Unfortunately, I think we're already losing the people who have been generating asp code and as they go the rest of the asp sites will have no choice.

Cecil, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  4. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I have a large ASP site that gets around 60k visitors per day that I would like in the ad network but none of the unofficial asp releases are stable enough for it, either the DP server banned the IP address or it started creating 500mb of temp files in minutes so although I have other quieter sites in the coop I would still love to see an asp working version for this and a few other high traffic sites.

sji2671, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  5. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I expected a smarter response from you or at least something helpful and encouraging towards who is trying to do a job that is not due to him and takes advantages to you and your service.

Zinho, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    ASP is not supported on this end. No one here codes ASP and I don't have any Windows servers to test any sort of ASP code. So a bit difficult to support it. As I mentioned previously, the ASP.NET version I know works fine (for rotating ads, but not static ones). That's the only ASP version that I know works.

But ultimately if someone is looking for something where ASP is "officially" supported, they would be best off not using the ad network.

digitalpoint, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  7. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I don't think that's a very tactful or smart response, the network users get more benefit from the ad network than Shawn does IMO and it has been repeatedly stated that Shawn does not code in ASP and therefore won't be able to release/test and run an updated asp version. It has never been offered or suggested that an official asp version would be supported so I would suggest gratitude for the free ad network in its php form rather than attacking anyone.

It would be on my wishlist but it is what it is.

sji2671, Sep 11, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  8. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably you don't recognize the difference between a criticism and an attack. I'm talking about the complete indifference against asp sites.If we had more details on how the system works it would be easier for us to code something working. I know the benefits very well being my self who produced the early asp versions of the php file. But now I don't have the time...I hope someone else will be kind enough to share the code with us.

Zinho, Sep 12, 2005 IP
  9. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm contemplating putting one of my sites on the Co-op network, and don't relish the idea of installing PHP onto any of my boxes (and lets face it, we all know that Windows 2003 Web / IIS6 / .NET beats LAMP hands down ;) ). Anyone got any hints / links to older ASP versions or do I have to translate the official PHP version directly?

Any help appreciated,

Jamie

JamieC, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  10. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I run ASP and have translated a version that works OK for me. I claim no ownership over this code (how could I) so feel free to improve it.

If you find any problem with it I would be happy to hear about it though.

I think I adopted some early ASP version for my site rather than translating the PHP version. But I know I did a major rework on it when Shawn updated the PHP code, and then I changed most of the code to improve performance and stability.

Good luck.

ps. Shawn, if you would like to look at how my site (www.shoplagom.com) behaves from your point of view and tell all of us if it looks OK that would give us some reference to the performance of this script (it went live 8th of june 2005 on my site).

Attached Files:

Perrow, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  11. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting, i'll take a look at your code - very reasonable of you to post it.

I will post any modifications to share the love ;)

- Jamie

JamieC, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  12. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'ts actually been posted before, but I'm too lazy to find the thread and link to it :D

Perrow, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It seems to be okay as far as only making requests for a new ad every 30 minutes (like it should) and it uses the impression tracking, so that's good. Beyond that, I don't know... is it adhering to the parameters set by the server? For example, is it now caching 1000 ads on your end?

Also, it's not a requirement, but I'm assuming it doesn't support the static link mode, right?

digitalpoint, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  14. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about the parameters, will have to check that.

Quite sure I didn't implement a static mode by accident though :D

Perrow, Sep 13, 2005 IP