1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a Blog : Doing things Right?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by sitedesigner, May 11, 2007.

I am interested in starting a blog and I really want to do things right. What are the best things to consider implementing on a new blog :)

Im talking about linking, software, seo, and feeds etc.
    Thanks,
    SD

sitedesigner, May 11, 2007 IP
  2. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First thing is to put on the best content and make it original. Then you want to promote it as much as possible. Submit to free directories, look for link exhanges with simalar blogs and place a few paid ads if you have the budget. Submit it to alll the major search engines by hand don't pay for someone else to do it. Then keep posting as often as possible.

If you want free use blooger.com, if you want your own hosting, use wordpress.

allout, May 11, 2007 IP
  3. bigp

bigp Peon

Best Answers:
    Content is key with a blog. Determine what you're going to write about and make sure you can fill a blog with information about that subject. If you run out of ideasa in a sort time, then you should consider a different topic. I'd go with wordpress and host it yourself if you're serious abut blogging. It is becoming the default software for top bloggers.

What I'd do is get out and start reading some blogs of probloggers . . . you'll find the answers to many of your questions. I'd start with http://www.problogger.com, http://www.doshdosh.com, and of course, http://www.timeforblogging.com. There are plenty of others out there as well.

Good luck!

bigp, May 11, 2007 IP
  4. sitedesigner

sitedesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you guys mix personal and business blogs? Just wondering

Thanks

sitedesigner, May 11, 2007 IP
  5. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I mix all my blogs, because all mine are a mix of personal and business. Blogs are great to give links back to your business sites or any of your other blogs.

allout, May 11, 2007 IP
  6. sitedesigner

sitedesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    What Im saying though, is do you blog about personal things and business thing son the same blog?

sitedesigner, May 12, 2007 IP
  7. bigp

bigp Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people do mix personal and business. If you don't add any of your personality, then your blog will be flat and boring. You can't write a good blog without adding some personal stuff. On the other hand, I don't ever get too personal, even on my personal blog. I believe that you can infuse a few tidbits of your personal life to your business blog and vice versa, but you never want to put too much.

bigp, May 12, 2007 IP
  8. Franck S

Franck S Peon

Best Answers:
    Franck S, May 13, 2007 IP
  9. Affers

Affers Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get a good host capable of running Wordpress for a couple of dollars a month and good plugins and themes are available free. I'd always, always advise starting a blog because you want to, not to make money.

The content will always be much more real. As someone else said, the first thing to absolutely focus on is content. If I were to start a new blog now, I'd make sure there's something there to actually read when someone makes it there before advertising it etc. Give someone a reason to remember it, several good articles, something to really flick and get involved in.

Affers, May 14, 2007 IP
  10. sitedesigner

sitedesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Can someone explain feeds to me and subsciption kinds of things?
    Also, what about tags?

sitedesigner, May 14, 2007 IP
  11. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Feedburner should solve your problem with feeds. You could even get your blog's latest post title to be shown in your recent blog feature at this forum- provided you use one of the supported platforms.

For tags, wordpress has a tagging system. Plus there are plugins like ultimate tag warrior. If you are talking about tagging on delicious, then we are referring to social bookmarking..

gr8liverpoolfan, May 14, 2007 IP
  12. sitedesigner

sitedesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, can you explain to me what tagging is?

sitedesigner, May 14, 2007 IP