1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free directory owners, how are you makeing your directory quality?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Antonio, May 13, 2007.

There are hundreds of free directories announce in DP forum every day.

And I notice most would fight against spam, I would like to know how do you make it quality?

First, this is what I do.

Do not accept keyword clouds submission no matter you are PR7. (I notice many directories would accept this.)
    Do not accept MFA sites.
    Recheck the submission every month, delete the dead sites and sites parked. (Really hard work)
    Move the sites to related category.

I have a free directory which is online for one year, and I got 18000+ submissions but only 1400 accepted.
    The number of sites in your directory is not important, what's the important is how many quality sites we have, that's what I am working for.

We all want to make money from our directory, but I think only quality directory would get more. :)

And what will you do to make your free directory quality?

Antonio, May 13, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  2. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1) No top category submission.
    2) Abnsolutely no submission in wrong category would be accepted
    For example, Generally people submit web directories in Computer>>Directories category. But i don't understand...that is the computer niche category for directories and not general web directories. The proper category should be Internet>>Web Directories. So either i move them or i delete the one which are submitted in wrong category
    3) MFA'S definitely not acceptable. However no problems with gambling etc sites.
    4) Absolutely no link without description or a proper description. And certainly no url in description which people tend to do a lot.
    5) The Title of the site should be same as the url. Else people go on and make a complete 10 word sentence in the Title...Phew :eek:
    6)....

I give up! I can go on and on...There are simply too many checks for quality. So right now...the above qualities only! :)

iPod, May 13, 2007 IP
    Antonio and deluxdon like this.
  3. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ultimately, it is very challenging to keep any free directory quality. Free directories can make money via selling featured links and other methods, but the majority of link reviews are free, this is the very reason many free directories are not quality. Why work so hard for nothing?

But dedicated owners can simply sacrifice themselves to do that, I suppose. So my first answer to the question would be, "hard working". The rest of the basic things you mentioned to be added, of course ;)

coolsitez, May 13, 2007 IP
  4. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is for nothing. Gmail offers 2Gb for free, it will not be nothing. ;)

Google loves quality directory which would get more. :)

Antonio, May 13, 2007 IP
  5. gydqw

gydqw Active Member

Best Answers:
    If no adsense,Iore and more web directory will be disappeared.

gydqw, May 13, 2007 IP
  6. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well...it's not hardwork for nothing...

I have sold ten sitewides on my free directory with nearly 8000 listings...I have installed all the possible mods on that...Have spent good enough time enhancing the looks, graphics, categories and mods etc :)

What i get in return...Trust from the directory sponsors that their investment is on a good place and they don't need to worry :)
    Sitewides are good enough for me to keep me working on the free directory :)

iPod, May 13, 2007 IP
  7. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the best thing to do to make a quality directory is to have lots of categories and sub-categories. As mentioned earlier, submissions to parent category should be rejected. Moreover, redirecting sites, 404 and other error sites should be removed from time to time. You can use a sider simulator to check for sites like these regularly.

rosiee007, May 13, 2007 IP
  8. George55

George55 Peon

Best Answers:
    That is easy we run a script.. parked sites are easy to find.. other bad sites are more difficult.

It is also important to keep changing your submit script around when the autosubmitters get ahold of it.

George55, May 14, 2007 IP
  9. Antonio

Best Answers:
    I would review the hot category every month. And every time I would find some dead sites or switched to another kind. :)

Antonio, May 14, 2007 IP
  10. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't see "unique description for each submitted link", so I am not certain how Google can determine your free dir to be different from others and think its "quality", and even the unique description, it may not be counted by G as we can only guess. It could be a good factor though.

Many submitters use the same description and title. I think you should elaborate how yours can be more quality compared to others?

coolsitez, May 14, 2007 IP
  11. Antonio

Best Answers:
    Unique is important but that's not all. I would edit every description and title for the submission I got. They would not be listed in the original. ;)

Antonio, May 14, 2007 IP
  12. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you George from VS forum? If so, great to see you around here :) I have learned a lot from you...

Back to the topic:
    I also check to see if the site is indexed by Google, if it is not, then I give it a more stringent review, and double check to make sure its not banned or doing anything screwy.

Morty

jmort732, May 14, 2007 IP
    Velocity likes this.