1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do I Get Traffic To My Blog?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by xotrevor, Sep 7, 2005.

Hello All,

I have been on the Internet for almost 9 years now, I have built websites and done alot of computer programming. One thing I never understood is how blogs increase traffic or get traffic. I hear stories about how blogs increase traffic and this and that and all the rave but I just dont get it.

I have create some blogs but they dont get much traffic

I have placed my gogle adsense code into the side bar of each blog and i have been pinging blog directories after each post with both ping-o-matic and pingoat. I get a few hit but nothing too exciting.

Can someone please tell me how to go about getting some decent traffic using blogs.

Thanks you,

Trevor

xotrevor, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  2. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello, can anyone help?

xotrevor, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  3. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try reading the forum for a while. I noticed over half of your posts are how do you get traffic in the time it took you to post all of those you could have been reading some good threads.

Since you’re new I’ll cut you some slack.

Submit to directories, SEO your site for search engine traffic, make comments on other blogs and leave your url.

Check out http://problogger.net/

Hodgedup, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  4. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help hodgedup

xotrevor, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  5. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. I hope you're able to get some traffic to your sites.

Hodgedup, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  6. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    Blogs can suck in traffic like nobody's business if you get the right ping's setup.

A ping is a notification to another site about a change to your blog. There's thousands of sites out there that just display recent blog postings. Even Yahoo does it, if you have a blog you can ping Yahoo and they'll list your blog.

So the idea is to get a blog going that pings 500+ sites, then post 3-4 times/day on your blog and you'll probably get over 1000 uniques/day from these sites once you have been doing it for a while.

Discreet, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  7. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    If you havent already, visit http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/ and submit your feed to all of the blog & rss directories listed there. It's a great place to start and will build inbound links to your blog.

Blogs are naturally search engine friendly, and they give you a new source for marketing simply by taking advantage of all of the blog/rss directories and blog communities where you can post your link and/or network with other bloggers.

If you promote your blog correctly, and post good content every day - or every couple of days - then your blog will be spidered frequently. This can help your site as you can link out to specific pages on your site from your blog.

Some people have their blog on the same domain as their site, some have it separate. There are benefits to both ways. I have my blog hosted at Blogger (clicknewz.blogspot.com) which has a PR5 and I feel helps me to set up quality relevant links between the two.

Another idea that you can use is to set up content syndication and get your content (and links!) out on as many relevant high traffic sites as possible. If you have GOOD content, or something interesting or unique that is updated often... it should be easy to find sites that will syndicate that content for you.

Lynn Terry, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  8. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    My blog is hosted on blogger - http://clicknewz.blogspot.com

Any specific recommendations for me? While mine does fairly well, and is a great outlet for me... I'd love for it to start "sucking in traffic like nobody's business"! :) :)

Lynn Terry, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  9. mitchandre

mitchandre Peon

Best Answers:
    content-content-content

mitchandre, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  10. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    xotrevor, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  11. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Great way of highlighting the most important component to attract good traffic.

So, to put it all together:

1. CONTENT
    2. SEO
    3. Link building

If you have all these, your traffic will grow. But to MAINTAIN traffic, you need to frequently update the content and keep the content interesting. Write something that nobody else has written, or write it in a different way.

Write controversial things that will make the visitors send links to their friends by email... nothing like it!

medusa, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  12. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude you've GOT to be kidding. You have two entries and you're whining about not getting any traffic? How about actually providing some CONTENT first!

toocoolforschool, Sep 9, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  13. emil2k

emil2k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started a blog, man google is special that program is reallly convenient it uploads for you...

emil2k, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  14. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a blog, you already have an RSS Feed. Log in to your blogger dashboard and you should find the feed URL. But you can just submit your actual Blog URL in most places.

Some cool services for bloggers: www.feedburner.com

Hope that helps!

Lynn Terry, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  15. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks Lynn, you rock!

xotrevor, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  16. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    ok, wow am I ever confused, I guess I just dont get how this whole rRSS feed works.

I went to feed burner and created an account.

Here is my RSS feed:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/WorkAtHomeOpportunities

what the heck do I do next?

Thanks,

Please help

17. Izo

Izo Peon

Best Answers:
    medusa hit the nail on it's head. You need to write daily in order to produce results. As a blog reader I tend to forget about blogs which are updating very infrequently....

Izo, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  18. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    It's all about content. Having a content-rich blog is the best way to gain traffic. You also need to track your blog, because it may already be popular without you even knowing it. Comments doesn't mean your blog is popular it just mean your audience have something to say. The next thing is to create a buzz around your niche industry. Being personal and controversial will help you keep an audience and get comments.

Read this article I wrote a while back: 13 Steps to Successful Blogging

antonaf, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  19. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    Read up at FeedBurner to see what your options are there. Click the "Publicize" link - I believe you can get some "stickers" there you can put on your blog that will help people "subscribe" to your blog.

Next, go here: http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/ and submit your blog URL (not your feedburner URL) to every blog & rss directory on that list that you can.

And of course, like others have mentioned, blog daily... and keep it interesting ;)

Lynn Terry, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  20. xotrevor

xotrevor Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks again Lynn you are a great help!

Also are you on yahoo? If so send me a message my id is: mjc_trevor

Thanks