1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Site all Supps

Discussion in 'SEO' started by CedarCity, May 12, 2007.

I just launched my website a little over a month ago and basically my whole site went into the sups. I really don't understand this as I have been trying to build quality links and I thought I had my site interlinked fairly well.

1. How do you get your pages out of the Sups?

2. Is there something wrong with my on site linking?

3. What can I do to avoid this in the future?

I look forward to hearing from you experts and will take into account all responces.

CedarCity, May 12, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  2. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your whole website is not supplemental. Looks like a full 1/3rd of it is not.

Most if the links I checked pointing to your homepage were lower quality ones. You do have 9 deep links that looked ok, but I would focus a bit more on those. Maybe work on a couple of link bait pages. Really it doesn't look bad at all, just need some more decent strength links to the homepage, and maybe 5 or 6 more deep pages with 5-6 decent links pointed at each. The navigation looks fine from what I saw.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 12, 2007 IP
  3. poksa

poksa Banned

Best Answers:
    Try revised all your content and make it Unique...

poksa, May 12, 2007 IP
  4. exipnos

exipnos Peon

Best Answers:
    i think that you sites are fine... create more deep link

exipnos, May 12, 2007 IP
  5. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    CedarCity: I think it is to early to give any obliging answer, your site is very young in Google's eyes, so adding link you should do it very careful without a haste.

grg, May 12, 2007 IP
  6. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok so basically I need to continue to get quality relevant links. Will that pull my pages out of the sups? Also all of my content is 100% unique written by me. Where do you suggest I go about getting some quality links? In real estate it is difficult to find quality links from relevant sources.

7. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    the main criteria to avoid the supp. results is page rank. if you want to convert those pages to normal pages, you must focus on getting more quality backlinks

trichnosis, May 12, 2007 IP
  8. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As far as supps go, relevancy doesn't matter, it is purely a matter of link strength. You have to be creative in getting the links. By that I don't mean underhanded or sneaky, by the way, just creative. If you don't know how, then I suggest you look into hiring a real professional, someone who does link campaigns for a living (and not just someone who calls themselves a link builder). Something along the lines of:

http://www.alliance-link.com/

-Michael

9. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if you guys have heard but google is on the hunt for real estate link exchanges. I am a little nervous about doing them. So I have focused on submiting articles, directory submissions, and getting people to blog about my site. I don't have a big budget because I need my website to produce leads for me before I can spend much more money on the site. What suggestions do you have for me to build quality trusted links on a limited budget?

10. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
  11. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Its very founded. Both realestatewebmasters.com and advancedaccess.com have had there sites devalued, we are talking a couple hundred of the top sites in the biggest markets. It has to do with there state pages full of recip links and nothing else. (my best guess)

12. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying that the sites aren't having problems, I am saying that blaming it on link exchanges per se is unfounded. It's the exact same kind of rumor mongering that I have seen time and again year after year.

-Michael

13. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    (Full Disclosure: I am an Admin at PREN)
    There is some very compelling evidence in the referenced thread. Hard evidence is pointing to it being not so much reciprocal links as it is spamming the index with 50+ irrelevant pages and other linking schemes.

Before discounting this as rumor you may want to do some further investigation mvandemar.

The thread is an open discussion of this situation and the multiple real estate sites that have been affected. Thus far no post have been Moderated or deleted unlike other real estate Forums covering the topic. Much like Fox News, “We report, You decide”.

~VegasMack

VegasMack, May 13, 2007 IP
  14. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Mack,

Actually, I decided not to exchange links myself with any AA sites over a year ago, due to the overwhelming number of them I was encountering that weren't being maintained properly. Sites with heavy usage of framed in pages, little to no deep linking, indiscriminate link exchanges, etc. That is what I am basing my observations on.

CedarCity made this statement:

That is completely unfounded. You said it yourself:

Yet, despite what the level heads are saying, I still have people cancelling links I have exchanged with them, sending me emails stating this:

That is standard panic response to something that someone didn't understand, and spread as unfounded rumor.

Trust me, investigation is not my weak point, nor is my experience in this area. Show me one hard fact indicating that "Google is going after real estate link exchanges" if you could please.

Edit: Here is my counter proof that it must be something other than just because the sites are doing link exchanges. Check out this search:

[atlanta real estate]

Huge market, lots of competition. 3 of the top 10 sites are using link exchanges, and 2 of those are even AA sites.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 13, 2007 IP
  15. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes sir. I have been around for a day or two myself. Been to a couple of Rodeos and at least 1 Goat roping contest but folks a lot smarter than I am are saying the same thing.

Not every real estate site with state pages in every market have hit yet. This is clearly a “Hand Job” so far. A couple of Atlanta Agents that were ranking have already been hit. There is a couple still in the top 10 of Atlanta that I would bet on getting slammed soon.

Not all of the sites in the Top 10 of Atlanta have the offending “State Pages” that is the issue being discussed in the thread you linked to.

However to debate this properly perhaps we should move this to the other thread or out of courtesy get permission form the Digital Point Administrator due to post duplication issues which is often frown on in Forums.

Just my 2¢ worth,

~VegasMack

VegasMack, May 13, 2007 IP
  16. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where? Where is someone who knows what is what saying that the problem is due to reciprocal linking? Would one of these "smarter" people be HHI Golf Guy, whom you refer to as your "resident SEO Guru"? This is the one who states very clearly in that thread:

He states this as one of the reasons why he personally does not believe that reciprocal linking per se is the cause of these problems.

Are you agreeing that it is not reciprocal linking that is causing the problems then? That it is instead crappy implementation of them? If so, we can stop debating here, because it is the people that are spouting about reciprocal linking being the problem that I am disagreeing with, and that I am calling unfounded rumor, and having panic responses.

This is not duplicate posts, we should be fine.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 13, 2007 IP
  17. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    HHI Golf Guy is not one that I was referring to (although I still believe he is smarter than I am on SEO). Honestly I hesitate to tell you those that I am referring to due to your tone and the possibility they may need to come here to defend themselves.

I am not asking for your resume but exactly how many real estate sites do you have in Major markets that are in the Top 10 for Google, Yahoo and MSN?

I stated more than once in this thread that I felt it was not so much reciprocal links as it was the 50+ state pages the links were on.

While we are still researching the situation it is clear that reciprocal links have been devaluated. Face it, what are reciprocal links for? They are to manipulate SERPS. Any “linking scheme” is discouraged in Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.

Although it is real estate sites with state pages that have been hit lately by Google how long before they get around to reciprocals?

I repeat… AGAIN… so far it APPEARS to be only real estate sites with agent to agent reciprocals ON STATE PAGES.

In one of your posts I see you used a snip of an email sent out by myself, staff or Clients. All efforts have been made to notify all link partners of the removal of their links and the deletion of the “State Pages”. The majority of real estate agents now have all of their reciprocals on State pages so if the State pages are deleted so are the reciprocals.

No we are not duplicating post here yet but we are leaving out much that is covered in that other thread to avoid duplication. I still think we should move our debate.

~VegasMack

VegasMack, May 14, 2007 IP
  18. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:

You should create your own content to avoid supplemental pages and also create unique meta tags for each page.

Janna122003, May 14, 2007 IP
  19. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry for the tone, but honestly, you do not seem to be getting it. Third time now on this one point... people are saying that reciprocal links are hurting their site. I claim that is unfounded.

That's it... end of story... why you feel the need to continue arguing is beyond me, cause that is all I was saying. Period.

None. But I do have quite a bit of experience with exchanging links with real estate webmasters, and am very familiar with the market.

And that right there is more speculation. When people rely on recip linking, and stay within one small incestuous group, if a large number of people within that group start practicing poor linking practices (no deep links, too many links per page) or get penalized for other reasons (keyword stuffing, hidden text) then a large majority of that group are going to feel it.

Be aware of who you are linking to does not in any way shape or form equate to do not link.

Nope, not even close. The whole linking to each other existed before Google did... it is why Google chose that as a major part of the algo in the first place. Are there webmasters out there who haven't been around long enough to realize that? Of course. Doesn't change the reasoning behind it.

You are focused on a small niche industry, so you may not realize this, but the "Google is penalizing recips" has been going on for years now. It started when discussions were first going on about link farms, and what they were, and how Google might go about detecting them, and ways around it, etc. This is nothing new.

Btw the way... neither you nor anyone else needs to justify or defend themselves to me. My point is not to belittle or come down on people who disagree with me. I just have a thing about people spreading speculation as fact (not you, but the people who will misquote you here and other places).

One last thing about something you said before... Google does not do hand jobs, per se. They prefer to handle things algorithmically. However, if the sites that are getting penalized are doing other things that might not be completely on the up and up, then they might be experiencing a rash of competitors reporting them for spam. Matt Cutts recently made a call to webmasters to Report Thy Neighbor. In those cases though I would expect them to disappear altogether from the serps, and not just out of the top 100.

-Michael

mvandemar, May 14, 2007 IP
  20. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Mvandemar,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

It is a bit hectic in the RE Biz at present.

To briefly respond to your post:

Yes I do get it. Your saying all the real estate sites that were penalized by Google recently had nothing to do with reciprocal linking. Right?

You have sited sites in Atlanta that are either Network sites, sites with reciprocal link pages segregated into “State” pages or both. Right?

You say that this is NOT a “Google Hand Job” and that it is algorithmic in nature. Right?

You are saying that reciprocal links have NOT been devaluated. Right?

Let’s assume for a moment you are right about all of the above. You are following the other thread so since everyone has it wrong and you know what it is please share it with us. Here. On this forum, in this thread.

As I have admitted, I don’t have all of the answers. Hell, that is why I am here. Not to debate but to research. We have a lot of REALTORS® out there that are looking for answers. Even though you feel as though real estate is a “small niche industry” it is the world to those that are involved so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~VegasMack

PS
    I will be on the road for the next week. I will have my laptop and will respond you your posts (or anyone else that wishes to chime in) as soon and as often as feasible. Please be patient.

VegasMack, May 16, 2007 IP