1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

meta tags ruined my spot on google search

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by FuzzyLogic, Sep 30, 2006.

One of my sites always had the 3rd spot on the google search for the keyword I was after and the other day I added meta tags for description + keywords. Today my site isn't even on the first 3 pages when searching google for the keyword. I removed the meta tags now and hopefully I'll get my spot back. The site is a wordpress blog btw. Really strange.

FuzzyLogic, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  2. codeber

codeber Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes happens that sites are dropped then respidered.

It may just be a coincidence.

codeber, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  3. cj1223

cj1223 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    may just be a temparary thing, i would change it back if it doesnt change. You really dont need keyword meta but description is pretty usefull, although im yet to see a search engine use the descrition which makes it pointless

cj1223, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  4. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it is not because u have added meta tags, google is updating pr and backlinks so your site went down, it will again come back slowly.

seo-mumbai, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  5. sophie123

sophie123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a coincidence to me. Wait and see what happens I guess...

sophie123, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  6. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ford wordpress blogs I have noticed that adding a description tag if it has been indexed without one can make the rankings drop. If you can write a good targeted description that will be very descriptive about your blog put it on the site and forget about the google rank drop. You will regain the spot. Remember a description tag that is unrelevant to the site will make your rankings drop further. Also NEVER go without a TITLE tag.

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  7. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is the first time I attempted adding any meta description / keywords to my wordpress blogs. I doubt this is a coincidence because my site most definately deserves that top 10 result on google, the tags definately ruined it. Wordpress + meta description and keywords = no no imho. Thanks for the advice.

FuzzyLogic, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  8. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah forget the keyword tag. It is useless...
    You just have to decide if the description tag google generates is as targeted and brings as many visitors as one you create. I agree that it is because you added the description tag but the decision is up to you.
    It could be without the description Google was finding the text at the top of the blog most relevant but now with the description it isn't as relevant to your keywords. Not sure...
    Good luck!

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  9. alfaresy

alfaresy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Could somebody help me on how to add meta description or meta keyword tag in my wordpress blog?
    I mean how to make description or keyword different in every post (base on title post)

I have been searching it at DP forum threads, but i couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance,

alfaresy

alfaresy, May 8, 2007 IP
  10. jabz.biz

jabz.biz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi alfaresy, please don`t dig old posts. :) Start your own thread on that topic (next time!)

There`s a Plugin for Wordpress. Lookup this thing on Google for example type "Wordpress Meta Tag Plugin". I`m sure you`ll find what you`re looking for. If not, look it up here: http://www.seoking.eu/seo-search-engine/

Best regards, Jab

jabz.biz, May 8, 2007 IP
    visio likes this.
  11. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think its just a coincidence. What other SEO things that you do on your site before you got a good SERP?

Janna122003, May 9, 2007 IP
  12. 750li

750li Guest

Best Answers:
    i did the same thing on my blog and i went from #2 on the first page for a key word to page 3 . does anone know wat happened

750li, May 10, 2007 IP
  13. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Relevant meta tags will improve your rankings.Its just a coincidence

djrishi, May 11, 2007 IP
  14. a7a7

a7a7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its very much possible the you might have made some syntax mistake in meta tag.

fact: once i made an silly syntax mistake with meta. I was ranking 10 for my keyword... then i noticed it and corrected it immediately... and presto! i was no.1 after next crawl.

a7a7, May 11, 2007 IP
  15. coolguy27

coolguy27 Banned

Best Answers:
    yes, it is only temporary 'coz you updated your site.. The google will reindex the contents of your site. Don't worry just wait for it to comeback...:)

coolguy27, May 11, 2007 IP
  16. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also added the wordpress meta plug-in about 6 weeks ago. And my SERPS plummeted starting around a month ago. Going to wait a little longer then revert back....

simey, May 11, 2007 IP
  17. 750li

750li Guest

Best Answers:
    I noticed all my posts without the meta tags were indexed high 1st page while my post with the meta tags were indexed low 2nd and 3rd and 4th pages . i think i might abandon meta tags

750li, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  18. roy77

roy77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are u sirious? If u think META tags, what was once a very crutial part of SEO, had decreased your google rank - you are really new to SEO :)
    Meta tags are only to help you rank better (works great is MSN) dummyy :)
    I will agree with everyone, it must me a very strage coincidence

roy77, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  19. 750li

750li Guest

Best Answers:
    Ive noticed my posts that used the meta tags were ranked really high in msn , but msn brings me the least traffic . i tried a experiment and noticed all my posts with meta ranked bad in google but great in msn , while all my posts without meta ranked pretty high in google and about the same in msn . im new to this so maybe i have to give it a few months to see the real effects but so far it looks like meta tags on wordpress is bad . so far my experience. msn brings in the least traffic of the big 3 search engines , so while im happy to be ranked high with them using meta i dont want it to be at the expese of google which is pulling in almost 3x's the traffic

750li, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  20. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i cant beleive that. the importance of meta tags is not too much now a days. Although a well formatted keyword rich meta tag helps in seo.

djrishi, Jun 7, 2007 IP