1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So I recruited a model . . .

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by eslsociety, May 8, 2007.

For one of my sites . . .

She's doing a new photoshoot for me this week, so the current image is just really a placeholder, and then there will be a link to a brief bio which I'll maintain on my site and a photo portfolio.

Check it out: Combative Martial Arts

What I'm wondering is peoples general take on this. Does it add or detract from the professional image of a site to have an image/brand model or models?

I basically got the idea because Godaddy and lots of other online businesses do this sort of thing, but I don't know how it will be perceived. If it seems like a good idea, I will try and duplicate it with some additional models and on some other sites.

What about selling like autographed photos and posters and stuff once a user base is established? Is that cool, or is it tacky? None of the image will be adult stuff, but I mean . . . I'll be dealing with attractive people and attractive images I suppose.

eslsociety, May 8, 2007 IP
  2. Glen

Glen Peon

Best Answers:
    might want to make your logo a bit shorter

Glen, May 8, 2007 IP
  3. eslsociety

eslsociety Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I know it has a problem in firefox.

I've got my graphics person spread very thin right now working on alot of stuff, so that's sort of on the back burner until I'm ready for the sites to be public, but I appreciate the heads up!

4. jgjg

jgjg Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not too into her.
    she's pretty but she doesn't have a martial artist look about her.

I think it would be cool if you had a contest...like hottest mma babes or something.

jgjg, May 8, 2007 IP
  5. procrastinator

procrastinator Peon

Best Answers:
    she seems to have lot of potential , but the look seems a lil on the minus , check out some 70s jap sexploitation flicks for inspiration :p

procrastinator, May 8, 2007 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that model is fine, but the photography is horrible. Poorly lit face, other shadows, etc. Re-doing the photo to fix these issues would be a big image boost, imo.

jrbiz, May 8, 2007 IP
  7. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's the way she's posing or holding the sword, but I don't like the pic. The guy in the background isn't helping either.

What I do love about this is the domain you have...that's a really awesome one.

Discreet, May 8, 2007 IP
  8. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with jrbiz, that photo isn't well lit and it's not positioned right to be used as a main image for your website. Was it a stock photo or did you pay a photographer to have it done for your site?

You may want to consider hiring a model/photographer yourself and take images made specifically for your website. It will cost $500-1000 but if you want the image done precisely the way that you want this is the best route.

A good photographer will work with you and come up with interesting shots for the model that relate to your site and its subject. Interview the person and ask them what they would do to make the best photos for your website, what kind of shots they would be, etc. If the photographer doesn't have any good answers look for someone else before you pay him the money.

chant, May 8, 2007 IP
  9. chipmunk

chipmunk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    eslsociety...

If you do decide to do this, make sure you get your model release & consent forms together and signed.

Need to protect yourself...

-=Chipmunk=-

chipmunk, May 8, 2007 IP
  10. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol. it looks kinky actually.

anyway, i will suggest taking the ads off first till the site hits it big. heh

Nystul, May 8, 2007 IP
  11. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why, she doesn't start my engine.....

BigBadWolf, May 8, 2007 IP
  12. eslsociety

eslsociety Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. We'll see what happens after the new photos come in.

The thing abou this girl is that she is an established ma model, and is in martial arts magazines and stuff, so that's why I went with her. She has a myspace friends list of a bazillion people, and I think even one bulletin post could bring extra traffic.

Actually that's a very big part of my non-seo traffic strategy. To involve people in my projects who already have a large network of admirers, fans, supporters, or whatever established already, via interviews, and so on so that they'll mention it to their network and hopefully I'll get alot of traffic and members that way.

Also, I'll be moving to China in a couple of months. If I decide that this is a good idea, I'll hire some models there for low prices.

Actually I think that's when the projects will really take off, because it'll be much more convenient for me to do video blogging, get interviews with real martial arts geniuses, and so on.

Unfortunately for Korea, people just aren't that interested in TaeKwonDo after they graduate from elementary school. :|

13. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cool, if she knows martial arts do you have any photos of her doing them? Anyone can hold a sword but if she can do moves, show them on your site.

chant, May 8, 2007 IP
  14. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like the idea

And i think it's a good one

w3bmaster, May 9, 2007 IP
  15. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Eslsociety,

I like your idea - it is nice, it is attractive and makes you stand out from the crowd. However, the girl looks a bit not a very good actress really, apart from the point she's holding the sword in a very weird way...Maybe some more true acting in the photo and a tiny bit of photo enhancement (lighting, focus, etc.) will make it look much more professional.

Tiggi, May 9, 2007 IP