1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cms for subdomain

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by kandeman, Aug 31, 2005.

I'm searching a cms that likes to work with subdomains.
    Like f.e cars.maindomain.com and seo.maindomain.com , but i'dd like to have one database and one adminpage.

Already heard about worldpress MU, but i'm searchinf for something more than for blogs.

Greetz

kandeman, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  2. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SaN-DeeP, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  3. kandeman

kandeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info but i meant free cms ,

kandeman, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  4. taughnee

taughnee Peon

Best Answers:
    Expression Engine is the way to go if you can spare the $$.

But with a little creative thinking you can do a lot with WordPress and use it as a simple CMS. What functionality do you need exactly?

taughnee, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  5. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal does exactly what you want. It's entirely free (GPL-licensed), widely used, has a large and supportive community, and a wide wariety of third-party add-on modules. Multisite functionality is built-in.

I'm using Drupal almost exclusively these days, as it can handle pretty much any kind of site I throw at it. Most recently, I created a Blogger-style blog network where users all have their own domains (as in username.blogspot.com) but there's just one database and Drupal installation behind it all. For an example of a small content site done with Drupal, check out my signature. Drupal is a seriously powerful and versatile tool ;)

Willy, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  6. kandeman

kandeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok i'll try drupal

kandeman, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  7. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    PM me if you have any questions or run into problems... Drupal.org's support forum is also a very friendly place :cool:

Willy, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  8. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Mambo is one of the most sophisticated Open Source CMS ever. It recently changed it's name to Joomla! due to some copyright problems with the original maker. Now it is controlled by Opensourcematters.org.

I use Mambo in all my setups and have no problems. Now with the Joomla release slated for sometime this month, it will be beyond comparison. Drupal is not so a close second in my opinion.

You can visit http://joomla.org too for further information.

medusa, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  9. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Medusa, no disrespect, but while Mambo/Joomla may be a decent CMS (I myself have a couple years of experience using it), it doesn't happen to be a very good answer to the original poster's question, which concerned a multisite CMS.

Having recently abandoned Mambo and migrated several dozens of sites from Mambo (version 4.5.3) to Drupal, I can attest that Mambo has no built-in multisite support whatsoever, there is one add-on module on MamboForge that provides multisite support but it's a very crude hack, and the only hope for Joomla multisite support in the foreseeable future is the OpenSEF project, currently in beta (OpenSEF may be more familiar as Xaneon Extensions for Mambo; but the Xaneon team stopped all Mambo development and moved to Drupal, so OpenSEF is an open-source community project now).

Willy, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  10. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:

OK, you are right there, I did not specifically answer the original poster's question by an oversight... I just thought that he was looking to install a CMS in in a subdomain... dumb as I was :(

medusa, Sep 5, 2005 IP
    Willy likes this.