1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

plural noun, or adjective form - which is better?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by eslsociety, May 6, 2007.

I want to register a domain related to a specific term, but the .net is available for the noun+s and the adjective form (I'm an English teacher . . . haha).

Which do you think is better for both branding and search engine purposes?

My choices are:

epilepsy.org or epileptic.net (just an example).

eslsociety, May 6, 2007 IP
  2. inforsec

inforsec Peon

Best Answers:
    i guess better in this case is epilepsy.org although org stands for organisation.... sounds weird if it is going to be a commercial web site. But I dont know what are your candidates :)

inforsec, May 6, 2007 IP
  3. seomagician

seomagician Guest

Best Answers:
    Purely from a search volume point of view epilepsy.org is a much better name. Epilepsy receives over 1000 searches per day and epileptic gets less than 50 searches per day.

I also don't like .net urls much.

seomagician, May 6, 2007 IP
  4. eslsociety

eslsociety Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks . . .

I just bought the domain I was looking at.

As an aside, one of the things in my keyword watch list, www.goodtao.com is available with pr3 if anyone wants to grab that.

eslsociety, May 6, 2007 IP
  5. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree, a .net is way better than a .net in terms of value of it. Plus if it was something similar to the above name, it doesn't have anything to do with an organisation, so I personally wouldn't choose it.

For SEO purposes, it doesn't matter which one you use.

htmlindex, May 7, 2007 IP
  6. inforsec

inforsec Peon

Best Answers:
    .org domaind are intended to serve the noncommercial community. It is not a rule but this is known since the beginning of the internet. So don`t argue with that. Although all are eligible to register within .org and the purposes does not matter anymore i guess.

inforsec, May 7, 2007 IP
  7. htmlindex

Best Answers:
    Personally, I would still go with a .net as they are worth a lot more than a .org if you are planning on reselling the name later on

htmlindex, May 7, 2007 IP
  8. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say epilepsy.org because it's smoother to read out. Try reading out both of the domains and you'll see :)

8everything, May 7, 2007 IP
  9. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    Not wanting to be rude but when someone wants to do business expecting to make profit more than $7 a year he registers all possible combinations may come handy to his job. The old days where we register one name and stick to it for ever are gone. Not only plural noun or adjective but typos too
    I registered lately for a customer about 12-14 different combinations of the same name

domnom, May 7, 2007 IP
  10. eslsociety

eslsociety Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the .com and the .net were taken, so that's out of the question . . . The other tld's are pretty iffy.

If I were dealing with a keyword that was highly searched, then I would be snatching up any and all available real estate, but really - it's not.

As far as typos, other keywords and keyword combos, etc. go - I believe that I can get the benefits of all of those methods just by using offsite, but inbound seo strategies, at least for the time being.

If everything relative to the niche is available in a few months after I've done the work that I need to do, then I'll go up and start buying them, and I have a keyword based watchlist for dropping domains that I use to make my purchases.

The thing that's really important for me when I'm doing new projects or development is just testing the waters for a while. If I want to test noun+s vs. adjective, what I would do is create a split with the two, using the different anchor texts with the same amount of links, and coming from the same sources, and just see if one drastically outperformed the other. Or just look at overture. haha

I have a problem with buying to many domains though, and I'm trying to work on that, so I'll do the groundwork first, network by network, and then as each one succeeds or fails, I'll add more real estate as it is/becomes available.

eslsociety, May 7, 2007 IP
  11. htmlindex

Best Answers:
    You need to go to Domainers Anonymous, there's a meeting on tomorrow night ;)

htmlindex, May 8, 2007 IP
  12. eslsociety

eslsociety Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're not kidding . . .

I am pretty confident in my ability to generate traffic, but if I spent the amount of money on high quality content writers that I spend on domains . . . Man . .

eslsociety, May 8, 2007 IP