1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hey "Neo" - want the "Blue or Red pill" PageRank thing

Discussion in 'Google' started by mdvaden, May 6, 2007.

It's absolutely hilarious, here, how many SEOs are drugged with the PageRank meter - so like the Matrix thing.

Really, its more like the PR may "hang around" and follow where Google moved your page position, but the PR is a joke.

I'm going to keep hammering away on this for days.

No need for me to use the PR anymore. No matter what Google ever displayed the PR to be, I could move my site back again via content change and spidering in days to a week.

In the meantime, the useless static PR couldn't be budged, but it never hindered progress.

Like I say - and literally proven on the internet - PR is a relic.

Hence the "Tower of Google" article that I've placed on the internet this week. Proof that a website can rank high for years, and never need the PR meter to do it.

I've been getting a lot of feedback from other webmasters who have said they totally agree and realized the same thing. Its just that hardly anybody, if anybody else, has declared it in an article yet.

mdvaden, May 6, 2007 IP
    sweetfunny likes this.
  2. The Stealthy One

The Stealthy One Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You keep hammering away, aight? In the meantime, we real Webmasters will keep plugging away. Let us know when you're done. :)

The Stealthy One, May 6, 2007 IP
  3. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah.

Well I took over my site from someone like you, and held the upper page for 3 separate trade facets worth of keywords for almost 3 years solid.

Been there, done that.

And PR was irrelevant.

Basically, PR would better be considered a "symptom" - a recorded symptom.

Most of my competitors, even the multi-million dollar companies, have professional SEOs, and they still don't get ahead of my site.

And the amazing thing is, the one site that most often nudges ahead of mine, is a very old style html site with no webmaster, and the company owner rarely ever works on it.

If PR worked, it would be consistent across the board. But its not.

PR - the symptom - is really a cloak for the algo and stats that google hides behind and nobody sees.

But the algo - figuratively - is disclosed daily, because anybody can modify their site and move it. That's the daily tweaking of Google, where the SEO attention should be - not on the PR, where it should not be.

mdvaden, May 6, 2007 IP
  4. The Stealthy One

Best Answers:
    By the way, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you - just sick of seeing this crap in the short time you've been posting here. :)

Reprobate likes this.
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'll be sure to ignore your first recorded posts in these forums if I ever stumble on them.

Level playing field - right?

One of my longer posts is the website itself.

Try a big city search

"Portland Certified Arborists"

Try a national size search

Safe Woods for Parrots

And I'm not even a bird person. (look in the URL to find the name)

PR is irrelevant - its the content

But that's the longevity that you seem to revere there - about all I can produce until you see me hit post #500.

mdvaden, May 6, 2007 IP
  6. The Stealthy One

Best Answers:
    Um, yeah - whatever. :rolleyes:

7. blazeh

blazeh Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say that PR is totally irrelevant...
    For example, if 10 sites with a PR0 linked to you, it wouldn't have the same effect on SERP as it would if 10 PR5 sites linked to you.

blazeh, May 6, 2007 IP
  8. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Those are some pretty tuff keywords there, i don't know how you managed it. :rolleyes:

sweetfunny, May 6, 2007 IP
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was suspecting sarcasm, but either way, it works.

It took a while to make those "tuff" words work in the right combination, due to the high volume of sites for parrot forums, suppliers of pet and bird products, cages, avian supplies, etc..

There are many sites that have reams of that kind of content, so that was one of the more challenging pages to bring to that point.

In fact, the title looks pretty crude, but that's what happens to work.

I'm an arborist, and that advice page is the highest traffic page on my entire website. It's the one that inspired me to add Google Adsense last August. Afterwards, I put the ads on the horticulture pages.

But that bird related page was the one that change my site from paying money for web hosting, to making income from the website itself.

Glad you mentiioned that.

And that's exactly what I indicated lately, is that those same sites could still link to me, even if we didn't have PR, or even know our PR, and the benefit would still be there.

Virtually anything that "should" raise PR, "can" still raise a site's position, even if PR were non-existent.

That's why I consider the PR to follow all the good stuff like what you just mentioned, rather than all that good stuff following PR.

Also, about the keywords I listed for my site, its not to express any grandeur of the site. Its not like 10,000 to 1,000,000 hits a day like big sites.

It was just to illustrate that within one of my niches, and one of my advice topics, that the site holds top slots on regional and national scale, and done without applying PR - just content and sometimes backlinks.

Its a small site, so I'll be modest about that one.

I'm glad I figured out how to do something with it, because I like writing stuff. It cost me an arm and a let to pay a webmaster to edit, so I took over myself just to turn it into a hobby too - not because I didn't like the webmaster. In fact, he was a friend. Still should be, too.

But it does get a lot of work professionally too, even though I'm in south Oregon. One Portland arborists gets so much work off one referral page.

The keywords earlier, should have triggered that page. He said that he gets so much work from the page, that he doesn't even want his own website. And there's a particular reason. Its because other services often talk about how "good" they are - "best in the industry", etc.. Apparently, he gets a staggeringly high percentage of the bids accepted that come from that page, because I'm (another certified arborist) stating how good his service is. Its something about web based traffic and business that I didn't think about until he mentioned it last year.

And then Google ads bring money in too. So its been a good deal all the way around.

mdvaden, May 6, 2007 IP
  10. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's ok that you are not agree or support with "PR stuffs" but you should know that people got the rights to choose what to stick with. Yes it might be wrong and useless for PR, but you should not just come and spam your opinions around and said people who addicted in it are stupid...

Just my thought. I also know that PR not really matters but i can make some money out of it anyway. ;)

tradeya, May 7, 2007 IP
  11. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good thing my posts are not spam then, and that I have not called anyone stupid here.

Certainly something you will appreciated then.

Since my methods are as relevant to share here as any, due to success, your opinion or my opinion are equal here, and not spam.

Feel free to say what's on your mind. 98% of what's been good for my site has come from this website, and two others. Only 2% hasn't "panned out".

mdvaden, May 7, 2007 IP
  12. thepsychicguy

thepsychicguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see those keywords in your post to be very competitive mdvaden... I also noticed that all the article pages listed at the bottom of your links page are gray bar and you are not ranking for the anchor text words???

thepsychicguy, May 7, 2007 IP
  13. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are referring to Portland Certified Arborists....

It's not big for competition, but big enough to knock someone off the first page, and enough that tree guys are willing to pay at least $5 per click, but I'm not sure just how high. I reactived my AdWords and toyed around to see where the bids had gone. I used Adwords a couple of years ago, until I moved up. Back then, $.025 (twenty five cents) was the highest bid for trees in Portland. It's amazing how far its gone in a couple of years.

I don't care too much about PR (RANK) for most of the advice pages in the links. If I was into "Rank" - my concern would be for my services

Certified Arborist
    Landscape Designer
    Landscape Contractor

With emphasis on the Tree part and the design part. But regardless of Rank - I'm getting the results I need for those three. On the other note - the grey bar pages - search this:

"French drain diagram"

Don't even bother with the quotation marks - just type it in. That's one of the "grey bar" pages. And yeah, I've got tons of them. But the content of my pages is snagging a tremendous amount of traffic from the multiplicity of phrases embedded into the articles.

(Point of interest: my tags are not neccessarily worded for rank or results. On some grey bar pages, the tags are worded to "pull in" the higher pay per click ads on pages which draw traffic regardless of rank) All I know, is that it works. I tweaked the tags that way, and watched my CTR go from 2% originally, to about 4.3% now, and the Adsense income tripled.

If I write on lawns, I include "grass" "turf" "grass blades" "bentgrass".

I even misspell on purpose like "bent grass"

Same with "water features" or "waterfeatures". Poison-oak is supposed to be spelled "poison-oak" but I write "poison oak" and "poisonoak". Its really cool how much traffic that draws in.

I have no time to try and get backlinks to many of my individual pages. So I'm just happy to get the traffic that does come in.

But you are right - there should be plenty of grey bars, and my professional niche is not highly competitive yet on the web.

There are a lot of landscape design and tree websites. But the majority just don't display well in the results. Someday they will, and for that reason, I support organically driving traffic to websites, for services that operate in a city region.

mdvaden, May 7, 2007 IP
  14. thepsychicguy

thepsychicguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you are on the right track mdvaden with building your site the way you are but be careful...!

You found yourself an easy niche to rank on but do don't flaunt it. If you want to grow your site and really make some money that is... When you find yourself competing on keywords that people are really searching for "on a regular basis" is when it gets hard. There is many people here working on keywords with results in the many millions.

thepsychicguy, May 8, 2007 IP
  15. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    "niche" as you say, might be an excellent way to phrase it.

mdvaden, May 8, 2007 IP
  16. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    That terms only got 688,000 results, and your #3

I've PM'd you examples of my "Grey PR" pages ranking top 10 on 50 different keyphrases with 90 Million results.

That's what you call SEO.

sweetfunny, May 8, 2007 IP
  17. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i did a bad job on SEOs for my site. i ranked 26th out of 114 mils results I really need your advice. mdvaden.

tradeya, May 8, 2007 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    #26 is half way down page 3 for most people. And even if you do rank well (which page 3 isn't), It certainly has nothing to do with toolbar PR and little to do with real PR.

stOx, May 8, 2007 IP