1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Add-on domain in cPanel

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Attente, May 5, 2007.

Probably my question has been answered plenty of times, but I dunno how to properly formulate it.
    I've got a hosting with cPanel. In public_html i keep the WP files and folders for my domain, mysite.com Later on, I decided to add one more domain to my hosting. I found a tutorial on how to do that, which instructed me on adding it via cPanel's add-on domains. So, inside public_html a new folder appeared, mysite2, which was propagated via DNS servers and everything seemed to be ok, a typed the mysite2.com in browser and webpages loaded. However, when I needed to make a folder mysite2.com/folder (with index file in it), a very unpleasant thing happened. If I click on a hyperlink mysite2.com/folder, it looks in browser address bar like mysite2.mysite.com/folder, that is, mysite2.com is a subdomain to mysite.com
    But I expected it to be a completely different domain! I am sure many people host multiple domains on one and the same hosting account, and manage them via 'add-on domain' feature in cPanel.
    What can be wrong with my actions?

Attente, May 5, 2007 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you might be using cpanel to upload files. I have never done that.

When you ftp files to an addon domain you just login to your regular account and switch to the proper directory.

So, I am assuming that if you use cpanel you just change the the proper directory and upload the files.

Only you see it this way. To the rest of the world domain2 is a completetly seperate thing.

Colbyt, May 5, 2007 IP
  3. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's how Add-on domain works, they are subdomains hosted in a sub-folder of the main host.

If you want totally separate interface and space then you should opt for a Cpanel Reseller's account instead. The Reseller's account is just a shade more expensive but include a nice range of features. Each of your account will have its own Cpanel too and does not share anything with the main. You do not need to resell to get a reseller's account but it is just the best way to go.

If you were to buy and sell sites, the reseller's account makes perfect sense.

eddy2099, May 5, 2007 IP
  4. Attente

Attente Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much.
    No, I always use FAR to ftp files, and never rely on built-in file manager in cPanel.
    Looks like a will need to opt-in for Reseller's account.
    Thanks 4 your replies, guys.

Attente, May 6, 2007 IP