1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What will happen to YPN if Microsoft Buys Yahoo ?

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by bluegill_catcher, May 4, 2007.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote) has stepped up its pursuit of a deal to buy Yahoo Inc. (YHOO.O: Quote), two newspapers reported on Friday, as the two companies re-enter talks to strike a deal and fend off a common competitor in Web search leader Google Inc. (GOOG.O: Quote)

Yahoo shares jumped 17.96 percent to $33.24 in Nasdaq trading on Friday, while Microsoft shares fell 1.26 percent to $30.58.

The two companies have held informal talks over the years, but the latest approach comes as Microsoft seeks a deal to counter Google's rapid growth.

"It's been talked about for a long time, ever since Google came into the picture. I can't imagine a more perfect deal," said Peter Lobravico, vice president of risk arbitrage sales/trading at brokerage Wall Street Access.

"You can't find a stronger buyer than Microsoft and while it would spur a lot of political and regulatory noise, everyone knows in the end that the deal would go through."

bluegill_catcher, May 4, 2007 IP
  2. digiseek

digiseek Peon

Best Answers:
    YPN will still be in beta???

digiseek, May 4, 2007 IP
  3. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think if Microsoft does buy em it will be awesome for ypn..... that will be a true powerhouse then..... :)

bluegill_catcher, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think so.... it will be renamed to MPN and stay in beta forever.

techpr, May 4, 2007 IP
  5. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe they will be able to add new advertisers and actually get some relevant ads...

d16man, May 4, 2007 IP
  6. guidyy

guidyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    What will happen?
    They will pay you less and will ask money for tech support, in typical M$ style.
    Oh and probably they will be able to make a buggy ADS script that will crash your visitor's PC giving him a BSOD.
    Of course the fault will be of 3rd party advertiser that put a forbidden word in the ad text.
    Just kidding.... or not? ;-)

guidyy, May 5, 2007 IP
  7. msubmission

msubmission Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah perhaps YPN will be made available in more countries like India.

msubmission, May 5, 2007 IP
  8. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    YPN for Internet Explorer users only!

And maybe for international publishers as well. ;)

brandnewx, May 5, 2007 IP
  9. andy11

andy11 Peon

Best Answers:
    YPN software along with its developers will be scrapped. Their sales ppl will be sent home and the program will be incorporated into M$'s similar pr. "was it ad central?".

What M$ does best is still talents from competitors and I believe a couple or at least one genius will be stolen from Adsense.

andy11, May 5, 2007 IP
  10. andy11

andy11 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL :) :) :)

andy11, May 5, 2007 IP
  11. houstonian

houstonian Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally don't think this news is good for YPN publishers.

I see the way MS does with online advertising is pretty much different from what Yahoo's or Google's. It is my bad feeling that MS will try to expand its web content network so it can display its own ads. MS don't trust normal publishers and it wants to publish its own ads in its own network.

If MS buy yahoo, the reasons are Yahoo's user base and Yahoo's vast network of web content. YPN may be terminated. Why need publishers while there are thousands of 360 users who are ok with the ads YAhoo currently displayed on their page (see how different it is between 360 pages and Blogger page).

Because of the bad publishers with all their black hat tricks, i don't think yahoo or MS will go the same route as google did. YPN beta is in beta for a really long time and with the acquisition (if it happens) i think the program will end there.

houstonian, May 5, 2007 IP
  12. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry, i think you are living on a completely different planet and possibly a different dimension. content advertising is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. you think microsoft and/or yahoo is going to just say, no thanks, google can have it? whether its by microsoft, yahoo, their combined force or someone else, there will be a major competitor to google. nobody lets that much money go without fighting for a piece of the pie, no matter how small. 1% market share is still worth multiple millions of dollars if not billions in the coming years.

also, an acquisition of an empire the size of yahoo would take years to complete. i really dont think ypn is going to just be thrown in the garbage. but i do know that it is the last thing on their mind right now.

jmo

karagold, May 5, 2007 IP
  13. houstonian

houstonian Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't say they will throw that cheesecake away KRG.
    I just say it might happen like MS Ad center. They will replace the YPN beta by MS adcenter and currently, i didn't see much MS Ad center publisher.

I'm not from other planet KRg, i know that 90% of Google revenue are from Ad words and sense. Just think about it. Think about how google deals with blackhat publishers (their cost per action???) and why yahoo beta is still in beta that long. And MS ad center with their "confidential" way of recruiting publisher.

My thinking is YPN will be replaced by MS ad center (to be clear) in case MS buy Yahoo.

houstonian, May 5, 2007 IP
  14. mak4bd

mak4bd Banned

Best Answers:
    i wud like to c this merger going on. as it'll give google a major competitor for thier searching business. MS will only try to buy the Searching advertising services of Yahoo as i read on the web.

mak4bd, May 5, 2007 IP
  15. houstonian

houstonian Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty much a fan of YPN's support. I just hope MS will let the old YPN keep its style (a very humanly style).

houstonian, May 6, 2007 IP
  16. webmasta

webmasta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully it will stay in beta for another year ;)

webmasta, May 6, 2007 IP
  17. NetworkTown.Net

NetworkTown.Net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope they release it international the minute they buy yahoo :p

NetworkTown.Net, May 6, 2007 IP
  18. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft is cash rich. People are actually buying Vista, for reasons unknown.

MSN most likely doesn't care about anything more than reaching the big players. They can not afford to ignore a contextual advertising model.

I believe nothing would change for a year or two then who knows. It's all just speculation.

internetmarketingiq, May 6, 2007 IP
  19. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will go bankrupt. As MSFT and YHOO merge, their ads inventory is going to hit the roof and that will drive YPN pass Adsense. As soon as, YPN is out of beta and into international, thousands of Adsense publishers will switch overnight. Many of you will at least try YPN on your site, and if it's doing better than Adsense, you will keep YPN and throw away Adsense.

Adsense is built on top a mad banning algorithm. You hate any webmaster? Click 100 times on his adsense ads. Next 7 days, his account will be banned. Proof? My adsense account was banned after my rival clickbombed on the ads. Well, there're a lot of adsense publishers who hate the Adsense and hope there's a best alternative like YPN to bridge to. It's not out of boredom that somebody create Clickbot to retaliate on Adsense for banning them. When clickbot's getting out of control, Adsense is going to hit the bottom after having banned its own good publishers.

brandnewx, May 8, 2007 IP
  20. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i don't really think the deal will go, yahoo won't sell out that easily, and google will also try to buy yahoo, if possible!
    but then if yahoo is bought by microsoft! then Ypn may go international, as all this is done to stop google's rapid growth, so i guess microsoft will try to fight adsense with YPN! right:)

uttoransen, May 9, 2007 IP