1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Ignores everything after 100 links or 100 KB ?

Discussion in 'Google' started by SaN-DeeP, Aug 31, 2005.

Read somewhere on this forum, but unable to trace the post.

From the Topic Title What is really true ?
    Google ignores indexing content which goes beyond 100 links or 100 KB or both ?

Thanks.

SaN-DeeP, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  2. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    It's after atleast 100K that it stops.

So yah, you could have a 500K file of high quality content, and Google wouldn't even bother to look at the last 400K of it!

Nintendo, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  3. webrank

webrank Peon

Best Answers:
    google say so,but in fact it seem not

webrank, Aug 31, 2005 IP
    prowess likes this.
  4. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alrite, If I have a webpage with 10 KB of content first, then followed by a 200 KB image, video file or anything except text content.
    What does google do in this case ?

Thanks for your time Nintendo.

5. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    The limit refers to the length of the html text, not the images, videos, or other things referenced by the html.

Nitin M, Aug 31, 2005 IP
    prowess likes this.
  6. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    First 100K of text that makes up the file. I have hurd that it might be as high as 120K. I once had a page with a few hundred K of links, and Google didn't go past the first low 100K of it. I quickly broke the big pages up in to smaller files!

Nintendo, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  7. virtualkev

virtualkev Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a 161k page indexed by G

virtualkev, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  8. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    Davilac, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  9. SaN-DeeP

Best Answers:
    thanks for replies, satisfied that it goes beyond 100K :D

10. ebooborg

ebooborg Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for clarifiying theres me trying to squeeze everything into top half of page

ebooborg, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The original suggested limits of 100 links or 101kb are still very good guidelines for any site, whether or not they are actually rules.

100 links on a single page is a LOT of links, not matter what the purpose -- categorize them and break them up into more meaningful groups.

101 kb (text!) is a HUGE web page, especially for dial-up visitors but even for broadband. It's hard to imagine any page that wouldn't benefit from being broken up into smaller chunks.

minstrel, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  12. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point minstrel

Davilac, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  13. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, very true. But it's nice to know that if you happen to go over that limit for special circumstance...it will get indexed at least.

alph, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  14. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    Indexed at last, but do you think most people will wait more than 100kb to download? Internet is plenty of webs, if one result is ennoying, people have thousands of results

Davilac, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  15. Nintendo

Best Answers:
    Those of us on DLS and other fast connections will. One second it's long at all!

Nintendo, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I disagree, Nintendo. First, 101 kb of text is a lot more when you add scripts, includes, and graphics. Second, faster access doesn't usually translate to more patience but actually less patience. A dial-up visitor may be used to typical load times of 30 seconds or even more on some sites. A high-speed visitor isn't likely to wait arounf for more than 5-10 seconds.

minstrel, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  17. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    BTW, it seems the limit is back to 101k, any pages indexed on or after 30th aug seem to be back at 101k. Anyone else saw this/agree to this ?

honey, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  18. SaN-DeeP

Best Answers:
    SaN-DeeP, Sep 3, 2005 IP
  19. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I've seen posts in forums in the past where people experimented and Google followed links beyond 100 in a page.

Just real quickly, I looked at my new site design where this is a concern for me. Counting headers like <link rel=...> and javascript links, I have 154 links on the home page at http://www.bkweddings.com. I think that it is laid out well, and it is important to me that first time visitors get a grasp of all of the information that is available to them. I certainly don't have an indexing problem with google, although I do have ranking issues (i.e. sandboxed or penalized). 99% of my links are in-site links, and I could reasonably slim them down a little, but to remove 55 links would be detrimental to my overall design. The page itself is 30K and load times including graphics and scripts (totalling 95K) are less than 9 seconds on a 56K modem with connectivity issues (noisy line, etc) because of various server and on page optimizations. (theoretically at least) (hey, I think I just reached a world record in parenthesis in a paragraph)(see. I over do things sometimes, but with good reason it works) (but when you overdo it, at some point it's just too much)

You can look at one of the sites that is a "competitor" of mine that is doing very well in google that has 116 links on their home page- http://www.allweddingcompanies.com/

I think for the design of most sites, so many links just wouldn't work, aesthetically speaking. My goal was to have a strong intra-site linking structure that encouraged full site indexing, gave clear anchor text for the SE's to understand my site theme and page themes, and was also useful to end users. I think I've achieved that, but it took a good deal of work to get to that point.

In my opinion - and I'm just a small fish here - is that if you have a good reason for it, and it fits in with your design, then more than 100 links is reasonable. 100 off-site links would seem fishy, but I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that other than obvious spam sites or extremely large directory pages.

If you consider each page to have a certain "voting power" and that is important to you, then 100+ links dilutes the effective voting power of any single page dramatically.

nevetS, Sep 3, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, nevetS. Yours is an example of a situation where it makes sense to you to override Google's guidelines with respect to internal links. If you as a designer asks yourself the questions you obviously asked yourself about what does and does not make sense from the visitor's viewpoint, you won't go wrong very often. And that is pretty much what Google tells you in it's "guidelines for webmasters".

minstrel, Sep 3, 2005 IP