1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I got paid $250 for reporting an Adsense Cheater!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Nate, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Nah, I'd rather stay out of this one... as Honey said, if he did manage to get a lousy cheater out of the program, bravo, good for him.
    If it is just an attempt to promote his stuff, then he can take a hike...

Although I do find hard to believe that an advertiser that is spending "hundreds of thousands of dollars" would take some time to have an email conversation with him

fryman, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  2. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there he is :)
    Fryman, why are you so overactive in this community but rather shy on SP?
    ...same applies to Nintendo ...also seems to be more active here but on SP ...hmmm??

(dont mean to hijack thread, just talking out loud) .... Vodka Rebull does this to you ... :)

Enzo, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  3. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I promise you guys (whatever that's worth) that it's not a made-up story.

I didn't buy myself a $250 Amazon gift certificate and make up a story to tell on DP to promote a business. I'd have to sell 10 memberships to the web site just to break even...

Oh well. At least a few people learned something from the story. :eek:

Nate, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  4. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I don't think its made up nor do I think it's Spam.

I do have reservations about this though and I only asked about the tool because if it automated the process it would have been a major issue. But as you have stated, that was only one part of it.

Google doesn't like people contacting their advertisers en masse and especially if its an email to tell them they are a victim of fraud. The fact that you profited from it (even though that wasn't your intention) would probably make them sit up and take further actions. If you have no affiliation with Google, you probably would have nothing to worry about but I would never advise an AdSense Publisher to do this.

I noticed you don't have AdSense on your site that you posted about here which is probably a good thing.

Google is very sensitive about these types of thing because of the numerous stories published about the fraud rates so taking on notifying their advertisers can only get you in trouble.

As far as one of the posters saying Google never does anything about these, you couldn't be more wrong. Saying to do a search on DP says nothing. When a publisher is reported it seems to put a flag on their account. When payment time comes and they qualify for a check, the site is reviewed. Many of these kids doing this never reach $100 so it can seem like their account stays active for months. This doesn't mean that they won't be caught and have the money refunded.

I know Compar might not think there is anything wrong with this, and I agree morally, except that argument won't fly if your own account is banned.

yfs1, Sep 2, 2005 IP
    blackpudding and aeiouy like this.
  5. ebooborg

ebooborg Peon

Best Answers:
    well at least u didnt get an ipod! 250is so much more usefull

ebooborg, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  6. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying everyone should go out and do this to every person they see breaking the rules.

But I do think it's a good idea if you see someone blatantly ripping off Adwords sponsors... after contacting the person at fault (which I did) and after reporting to Google.

And I never meant this to sound like a money making idea. The required energy of finding and reporting Adsense cheaters isn't worth whatever money you might make. Just like the required energy of making up this story wouldn't have been worth it! :D

Nate, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Well, I won't post again then in this thread but as a general notice - if you are an AdSense Publisher, remember this thread when you see blank squares on your site if you decide to go down this road

yfs1, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  8. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I’m not sure how anonymously informing Adword sponsors they are being ripped off is going to result in your own Adsense account getting shut down... but I guess anything is possible. :confused:

Nate, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  9. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To me you managed to get someone banned from cheating and got $250 off a company as a thanks which is fine, it's a nice story and good end result.

Down side is you might end up with everyone trying to find cheaters to see if they can make some easy money which could go in a few directions, some good some bad directions.

J.P, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  10. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I guarantee you that if adwords advertisers get half-a-dozen e-mails a day telling them they are being ripped off they are not going to be going gift shopping, they are going to be abandoning the program.

So even if it were not technically against the rules to contact these publishers, it is probably a bad precedent to establish if at least for your own ability to make money with adsense down the road.

aeiouy, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  11. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    :D
    you made my day :)

mxlabs, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  12. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    when i type keywords into the google search engine i see the adwords ads presented with the search results, so i already know who is paying for the ads... i must be missing something obvious.

beyond that, you titled this thread "How I got paid $250 for reporting an Adsense Cheater!", which doesn't sound at all like your comment above... i think that your software has a bit of an identity crisis :)

danimal, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  13. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "How I got paid $250 for reporting Adsense Cheaters"

What does that title have to do with the software? If I said "How I used my software to make $250" that would be different.

If I hadn't even mentioned the software, which it looks like I should have done, my post would be just as informative and the title would be the same.

Don't get hung up on the software...

Nate, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  14. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you type a keyword into Google you see a few ads on the side. To see more ads you would have to click the next page. And if you wanted the URL for each ad you would have to copy/paste each one into notepad by hand. This software just gives you all the URLs and the number of advertisers for each keyword.

It's not like you can't live without this software... I never said that. But if you want to speed up the process, it's very useful. And this software is just part of a bigger package. It's not like I'm trying to sell this one software program for $25. It's just one of a handful of tools I use.

Nate, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  15. newquestions

newquestions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well Nate - I think you are a legend. No sarcasm intended.
    I think your pro-active response to this type of fraud is to be applauded ...

If more webmasters reacted like you, then publishers would experience far
    higher returns on their investment, which would result in a serious increase in
    overall spending (which for the rest of us, means more money to be made!).

As for all the total losers that decided to flame you, to them I shall say one
    thing. Grow up. After reading his post, you know the general "theme" of what
    he was attempting to communicate. Dont' pick apart his words and accuse him
    of spamming with an advertisement.

Look at yourselves. Most of you guys have multiline forum signatures that
    clog up this forum 1,000 times over. And one more thing - just because a
    person has "lots of posts" to their name, doesn't mean they are credible.
    Sometimes they are just full of hot air.

Leave the guy alone, and applaud his proactive response. He deserved the
    gift certicate.

newquestions, Sep 5, 2005 IP
  16. mikejmu

mikejmu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice post! I'm giving you postive feedback!

mikejmu, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  17. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I feel he did the correct thing as well. Guess it's different if you make money on ppc opposed to spending money on ppc on the reaction you will have.

GRIM, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  18. gdtechind

gdtechind Peon

Best Answers:
    so nice of you.
    Keep it up, such people should be reported and should not stay in Google Adsense.
    thanks once again for sharing an intresting story

gdtechind, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  19. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please have a look at this thread.

www . warriorforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51221

elkiwi, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  20. _vlada_

_vlada_ Peon

Best Answers:
    Good feedback or nothing! Here or there, 1:1 chances, heh