1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is it worth to buy PHPLD 3.1 license?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by toby, Jan 25, 2007.

1. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    o.0 I can answer that for you, let u take a wild guess NO

SasaVtec, May 2, 2007 IP
  2. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    How do you know that ? Are you a member of his staff like Mr. Anon ?
    I think Mr. David wrote the scripts and invented phpld that's why it grew today.

Am I right Mr. David ? If not, then its not funny. Other script owners are much better then because they do the hard work.

Misato, May 2, 2007 IP
  3. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD is a good starting script, its basic without Mods.
    I’m a little confused to why you referred to Rob as “third party”?

I spent sometime checking out the scripts that were available to use as a Directory, part of the reason that I went with PHPLD was because of the interest by mod developers and rob in general.

There seems to be a witch hunt on at the moment, my hope is that the mod developers don’t desert PHPLD.

I’m not aware of the support or reward that Rob has received from you David nor is it any of my business, but I’m sure Robs work has brought you lots of $$$ in return. Maybe this should be remembered, by using the term third party it sounds like you have discontinued this support.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, May 2, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Using the term third party referred to their being 3 different parties that produced the mod.

dvduval, May 2, 2007 IP
  5. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    some of which ripped the code right off of an0ns mod and there fore should`nt deserve any credit. Not naming names

choice, May 2, 2007 IP
  6. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Could you give an answer to post 40?

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, May 2, 2007 IP
  7. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    It seems that you have chosen to ignore my question. So if you did, I just assumed that you did not write the script yourself and the third party in reffferal are the ones that should get the credit for.

Wow !! All along we thought you know the script by heart. If something goes wrong and the third party is missing or sleeping then you could do no help.

:confused:

Misato, May 2, 2007 IP
    an0n likes this.
  8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I started writing the script beginning in 2002. All along the way I have also paid people to help with the writing of the script. Many of those people are still helping today. I know very few scripts that are well developed that were written by one person.

Typically, specific tasks are assigned and the person is paid for their work. I don't go around paying people for contributions they made that were not planned for the main phpLD release, though there are lots of people that make contributions.

If you are wondering about my contribution, phpLD was a free script for a long time. I worked very hard for many years (continuously since 2002). But it reached a point where it became popular to the point that I needed paid help on a continuing basis, and currently there are some near full time employees who work both on support and development.

The people that work for me seem very happy with their arrangements, and I ask them frequently if I'm doing everything I can to make sure they are happy, and I continue to get good feedback. I have some people that have worked for me since 2002.

There are also people who did some work for me, but we were not able to develop a relationship that was a good match. There are mod developers that I have paid, but are not paid on a continuing basis. I have to work with people that I feel work well with me. It is not always a situation of one person being better than another. It is more the way we work together as a team, and are complimentary to one another.

I try very hard everyday to do the best I can and understand the dynamics. Here on DP, as has been proved on many other threads, this is not always a very friendly environment. I will continue to do my best to work with others, even when those same people may not say nice things about me. I do not give up on anyone easily.

dvduval, May 2, 2007 IP
    MattEvers likes this.
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Is that a YES or a NO ?

I'm failing to see the decisive conclusion here. I see twists, I see turns, but nothing outright definitive.

hahaha... what can I say? I'm curious to know too.

an0n, May 2, 2007 IP
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I started writing the script beginning in 2002. All along the way I have also paid people to help with the writing of the script. Many of those people are still helping today. I know very few scripts that are well developed that were written by one person.

That is the answer.

So the question would be comparable to
    Who wrote windows?
    (but on a much smaller scale)

dvduval, May 2, 2007 IP
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, to be honest here, why do I not see credits where you wrote 'parts' of the script.

Every programmer writes their credits where they write their code.

look: example:

/**
    * Reads the configuration data from the database and sets it as constants
    * @author dcb
    */

/**
    * Get templates and read templates informations
    * @author Constantin Bejenaru / Boby <constantin_bejenaru@frozenminds.com> (http://www.frozenminds.com)
    */

I dont see david duval anywhere in here.

(i had more in here but didn't really want to embarrass the situation anymore than it already is)

I'm the good guy.

an0n, May 2, 2007 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We may work on some improvements to the way write credits, but this has not really been a topic that has come under scrutiny.

I do not code every day. If I did, I would not have time for many other very important tasks. I'm not at all embarrassed in admitting that I don't write code very much any more, though I am very much involved in managing the process every day.

dvduval, May 2, 2007 IP
  13. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another bitter fighting between two (Rob and david)? going on here for credits?

I think no one should be fighting for credits for developing a new script as they know it they created it and only those people who copy it from others
    will be fighting for due credit for a script!

Freewebspace, May 2, 2007 IP
  14. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So the answer is you DONT code, but you manage. That's all they were asking David.

You didn't have to quote me either, you could have quoted the one asking the question initially. You need to be honest with them, not me. I already know about it the ladder of your many sides.

hehe

I dont need any 'credit'.

If I don't know something I tell someone 'I don't know'. I don't hide behind lack of knowledge or lie about it.
    hey I *am* honest.

now, everyone can leave me out of this thread, as it was an initial question that was asked, dodged, weaved and whatever you call it.

I know the answer already. It's not my place to say it though.

edit:
    p.s. - i have some coding to do. hahahah

an0n, May 2, 2007 IP
  15. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You don't let a general do the fighting, would you? That's what soldiers are for and David is the General.

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, none of those two wrote the codes that made them so popular. They saw a vision and brought it to life! and look where it's at right now. in a much, much much much much much much + a million times, phpLd is like that. David (if you will) is the Bill Gates/Steve Jobs. He doesn't have to get his feet wet.

That's where David comes along, he had started something that got big. He had hired people, he stepped a little away and did more managing and marketing, etc, etc,..

David and the teams have done a good job, you can tell this because of the amount of users using his products and the people who help on the outside "Third party" contributing to make it grow, so that numbnut like myself could have a better experience with this product.

Sometimes, in this business, you'll get people hurt their feelings, because they think they have contributed a lot or did something and whatever that something is. The truth is, that's the way the balls bounces, if one doesn't like it, go make your own directory script or whatever and start your own venture. But no crying on how you've "help" make it popular, because there was a vision from the start and you were in it, but from time to time you blurred out and not seen as par of that vision.

Script developer
    Mod developer Free and even paid;)
    Template maker....
    tutorial writers
    and everything else that makes this or any other script such as fun and usefull tool to use....

Thank You!

wwws, May 2, 2007 IP
    dvduval, enQuira and Fastian like this.