1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pirated Software

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by rmartish, Apr 11, 2007.

1. webster13045

webster13045 Peon

Best Answers:

that would be the same thing as saying all the time sweat hard work put into making the cracks for theys programs eh?

webster13045, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  2. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's a bit of a difference between a crack and a full application.

I use Windows still, yes, but it came free with my PC, and I play games, so Linux isn't viable just yet. I use Open Office instead of MS Office, and have only had one problem so far in that complex spreadsheets with lots of macros and VBScript don't convert very well. For day to day work it is absolutely fine.

I use Firefox as my browser most of the time, and Thunderbird as my email client. Both of these are far superior to the commercial alternatives I have tried in the past.

The free alternatives can be just as good as the commercial ones, and then there's the choice of using older, free versions that some companies give away (I have a ton of image editting apps acquired that way).

etali, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  3. jo_cstd

jo_cstd Peon

Best Answers:
    It's almost impossible to stop software piracy with the growing population of crackers. That's why software companys/programmers find other ways to improve and control revenue. (e.g. developing online games)

jo_cstd, Apr 14, 2007 IP
    brandnewx likes this.
  4. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    If poor people didn't pirate, they wouldn't buy it either. Where is the loss to software company? Because some guy who doesn't have money to buy your software, you call it a loss?

As a software programmers, I make money from people who have money. I don't take the only pennies poor people have. I give away my software to poor people. Microsoft will be releasing $3 OS/software package to very poor countries, kudos to them. You people with money will never understand anyway.

I don't support piracy here. If you have money, buy the software. If you have money and keep pirating from our hardworks, you're inhumane.

brandnewx, May 1, 2007 IP
  5. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    I second that.

brandnewx, May 1, 2007 IP
  6. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Not all people that steal are poor. Some people are just cheap.

rmartish, May 1, 2007 IP
  7. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that is a key fact to think about when discussing this. Its hard to argue, morally this isn't right, and it seams like stealing on the net doesn't give the guilt of stealing in real life. Alot of stealing goes on on the net, have you seen shows about people selling personal id's for $5 and how easy it is to find these. Its nothing new and seems to be a rapidly growing problem, and almost impossible to stop. I read an article about how much time and effort Microsoft put into making Vista hard to steal and within a few hours of its release a crack was released. And as you said if they can't afford your program and wouldn't be buying it anyway, where is the loss/gain?

And your relation to these 3rd world countries, you can compare it to the victims of Katrina. They were stealing food but it was a matter of survival, the 3rd world countries are trying to adapt to technology, but it is just too expensive. Technology is mandatory for any developing country. And with out these softwares, they won't be able to keep their jobs, or perform to the level that they are performing on right now.

I'M DONE :D

longhornfreak, May 1, 2007 IP
  8. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Everyone that thinks it is ok for people in 3rd world countries to steal software:

Whenever your mother or sister gets scammed from someone using the stolen software, just chalk it up to they had the right to do it because they was poor. :rolleyes:

Peter Cornstalk, May 1, 2007 IP
  9. AlienGG

AlienGG Banned

Best Answers:
    What's the point of posting this? Are you running up post count?
    It's non-sense, buddy. All human being on earth know this.

AlienGG, May 1, 2007 IP
  10. odysseus

odysseus Peon

Best Answers:
    This is getting to be an intersting discussion between legalities and ethics. I like the argument that Brandnewx put forward. It applies to medical world as well. We all know many million people die today because they cannot afford to pay for the expensive drugs. Should people die if they cannot enrich the corporations?

odysseus, May 2, 2007 IP
  11. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you define the term "steal" here? What do software companies lose when poor people "steal" the software? Lose profit from people who won't buy from you anyway? lose dignity? motivation? face? self-belief? recognition?

I seriously doubt the word steal is applicable in this sense. When you lose nothing, how is possible that you have been stolen?

What you're trying to say here is that you believe people should be equal, so "no money, no honey" to everyone equally. But I believe they are not equal, in terms of quality of life or standard of living. While you eat more than three meals a day, they eat merely one meal a day. While you go to Disney on weekends, they go to scavenge in junkyard. While you have these potatoes during favorite TV programs, they're out there starving in muddy road taking your waste from junkyard home. While you have money to buy software, can't you share it with them? They need it to improve their living.

brandnewx, May 2, 2007 IP
  12. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pirated software is pirated software. Its so that people won't have to pay a rediculious amount of money on things they want. I hate it because it makes me the one who pays for everything out of my own pocket over the years look like a fool for supporting them.

I support software companies (especially Adobe and vBulletin), however, there are countries like Sweeden for example, that do not have such copyright laws in existience. That's why Propellorheads suffer a tad bit since they're sweeden based. Thats how they get away with hosting your software.

Stroh, May 2, 2007 IP
  13. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    There is this new fangled thing called a dictionary... they even have it online!

Let me clue you in... no matter how much you got, there is always someone with more. I should steal from someone that has more than me?

Peter Cornstalk, May 2, 2007 IP
  14. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you win! Congrats. ;)

brandnewx, May 2, 2007 IP
  15. trafficfacts

trafficfacts Peon

Best Answers:
    Well here's the deal, computers (even the latest cost a monthly payment of $2-$10 p.m.) Vendors use pirated software for making costs low. Yes of course there are brand names which exist which package the same at no additional costs.

But, in my experience these people prefer buying non-branded(assembled) computers.

Along with that a second hand computer can be purchased anywhere between 15-40$. Now Imagine asking these people to pay for software that is more or less the price of the computer, while there are pirated versions that exist for free or little cost.

Well there are few who many who can afford it, but then the odds are that they will to use the pirated unless used for businesses.

trafficfacts, May 2, 2007 IP
  16. trafficfacts

trafficfacts Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually never thought of it from that angle, guess if the money was never coming nothing was actually lost. Plus from their point of view people charging the same price for software as they pay for their computers may make them feel that someone else is stealing.. and not those poor people...

Just a thought....

trafficfacts, May 2, 2007 IP
  17. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait a minute! People can use Open Source for there software instead of stealing.

rmartish, May 2, 2007 IP
  18. Peter Cornstalk

Peter Cornstalk Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, so there is no excuse for stealing software, no matter how much people try to justify it. Thank you! (as well as the other's that have pointed this out.)

Peter Cornstalk, May 2, 2007 IP
  19. scribe

scribe Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point rmartish, we should all be feeling guilty for using pirated softwares. But I think that they charge too much which is why some people resort to pirated ones.

scribe, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  20. scribe

scribe Peon

Best Answers:
    Another good point. I never knew there was a free software until I came to this forum. I was gonna buy a MS Office from ebay but now I'm getting one from Opensoursce instead and give them a little donation as a gesture of gratitude.

scribe, Feb 25, 2009 IP