1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Crazy_Rob, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats still almost 2.5k. Thats alot of bottles of water for the dehydrated folks right now. Then again everyone with your gas guzzlers might need to keep what they can to pay for gas (above $5 today in Altanta). As the county next to mine can't start school yet because of the gas situtation I'm assuming my county will experinece the same situtation by the begining of next week.

mizt, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  2. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point.

btw, a great deal of the active members don't have enough posts to even qualify for rev sharing or aren't adsense publishers..

Liminal, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  3. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shame to the german government, though not all there are with the pak.

Could it be because of that they have a new Fuehrer, the pope?

Mr. Trittin, You've Got Mail!

American readers are furious at German Environmental Minister Jürgen Trittin, who believes America's lax policy on global warming is partly to blame for Hurricane Katrina. Here are some of the kindest of their responses:

The German hysteria, indeed all of the hysteria concerning so-called Global Warming is just silly. Always has been.

So let me understand this thought process. A storm devastates a city of innocent people causing billions of dollars in damage leaving millions homeless and is somehow viewed "justice" because the President won't cave in to the global warming screeching of the left and the communists. Nice. Real nice.

Ooops forgot to put the link of reactions from American people its here

Arnie, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  4. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    I Just put a "Donate to the Red Cross" link on my homepage. Figured it was the least I could do.

carowan, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  5. daed

daed Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of my friends near me in Alabama still don't even have power, and mine was turned back on today. It's not a pretty sight. I can't even imagine the gulf coast considering how bad it was up here.

daed, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  6. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea, I'll be doing that this evening.

mizt, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  7. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Glad your safe, and best of luck to you. Please let me know if you need any help, seriously. I'm a few hours a way and me and a few buddies could make weekend out of it. Its the least we could do.

mizt, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  8. digimania

digimania Peon

Best Answers:
    The authorities stated that NO will be functional again again maybe 3 months from now, and I think that includes an absence of vital installations such as electricity for more or less a hundred days.

digimania, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  9. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    yfs1, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  10. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    To all my fellow americans. A few of us have added a red cross link or banner to our site. I know if a good bit of us do this for say a month we can reach a wide range of people. I challenge everyone else to do the same. http://www.redcross.org/psa/bannerorder/all/

mizt, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  11. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo has a running tally on their site of donations thru yahoo.com. Like 70,000 donations totalling about 10,000,000 dollars or so. I stuck in $250, not too much though, when you think about it.

lorien1973, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  12. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    lorien1973, they need every dollar they can get, they are dieing of dehydration among other things. A bottle of water is only 50 cents or so. $250 could literally save hundereds of lives.

mizt, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  13. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I sent in $300 via Amazon.

And then I linked to the FEMA "we can help" page from my sites.

Crazy_Rob, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  14. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a nightmare and I just can't believe how weak the government preperations and response has been since the hurricane season last year.

:( :( :(

For the serious lowdown on looting and police troubles read this blog. These folks are a domain reseller and run Directnic.com. They've been able to stay live the entire time and have been camping out in their offices.

I've been following several different news reports and New Orleans' bloggers. Here's just a few of the highlights...

Metroblogs
    Metroblogs
    Directnic Blog
    [Later reports from other sources state that these tourists were attacked while walking to the convention center.]

Dreamshop, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  15. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    I just found out through a friend that AAA auto association is matching donations from members and employees. You can double your donation if you're a AAA member by using the Red Cross form here...

https://secure.entango.com/donate/7CpMvAKkfYk

Just select "AAA Hurricane Relief" under the drop down menu for "Program".

UPDATE

I just found out that they do not bother to confirm membership so ANYONE can contribute and select "AAA" and they will match that donation. :)

16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't want to denigrate the efforts of the aid agencies but surely the US Government is the most appropriate (and wealthiest) source of human resource and supplies for these people. What has failed in the USA that people have to relied on organised charities rather than their tax-paid infrastructure.

In NZ we have Govt agencies to coordinate relief efforts in disaster zones and while we donate blankets, clothes etc the distribution of food and supplies is managed by the Army and coordinated by "Civil Defence".

If the USA has the resources to reach out to other countries and try to fix their problems why does it not have the infrastructure to kick in and do this? Why do these people's suffering have to be made worse?

sarahk, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  17. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Because the "majority" of folks in this country seem to feel that the best way to fix problems is to head off guns blazing into other countries. God forbid we actually use the money spent on that for helpful things like creating a national emergency rescue system; let alone a quick response base for supporting cities and/or lower income families in times of crisis. :eek:

Most of the people stuck in NO are people who couldn't afford to evacuate (no cars and/or no money for hotels, etc).

In my opinion it's ridiculous that nothing like this has been done since 9/11. You'd think we would have learned something from that experience.

18. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Is this what the national guard is supposed to be used for?

Crazy_Rob, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  19. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People expect too much. When Andrew hit in Miami a few years back, it was a week before food and aid could be brought in. You have to assess a situation and make sure you don't make things worse before you start fixing it. In NO, priority 1 is getting the levees fixed (1 I believe has been fixed) so the pumping of water out can begin.

As for the govt being the one who is wealthiest and most able to respond, I totally disagree. Folks like the red cross and other private charities have everyday experience of helping people out in need. Govt is best at working at long term situations, not sudden crises. Money spent by the govt directly will inevitably be spent stupidly (remember of the federal budget for welfare, like 28% goes to the people, 72% to beaurocray). Red Cross has a history of sending like 70% directly for aid and about 30% for administration. Others are even better.

I do think its very odd that it has been known that the levee system in NO was only built for a CAT3 system moving quickly thru the area. Surely it could have been improved over the past 40 years or so.

lorien1973, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  20. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

Well there's a big graphic on the home page of the Army Natl. Guard website that states their Federal mission is:

It's pathetic that they've gone in and setup camp for themselves, but can't seem to create an organized headquarters for suvivors to recieve food and medical help. It doesn't seem like anyone is stepping up to the plate to take control. Ugh....Mr. President???? Oh yea, he was on vacation.