1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Warning for WHAT????

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Aegist, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Who on earth is in charge here?

Why on earth did I get a warning In this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=2978420#post2978420

when I was simply making a 100% valid point?

Why is it that I have reported that thread to a moderator, and then submitted it to suggestions on account of the fact that my blog headline feed has mysteriously stopped working correctly the second I spoke out on that thread, and yet nothing has been done about it?

And now, in fact, the person who is playing with the link in my blog headline feed has pointed the link to that specific post (originally it pointed to that thread, then it pointed to the DP Forum Home page, now it points to that specific post. This is not a bug or an error, but someone, clearly someone with power in this forum, playing games.)

Obviously I pissed off the wrong person, but the person who I have pissed off is being childish and inappropriate and I will not simply lay down and take it.

I have done nothing wrong here. I simply stated my opinion on the matter (something which is generally desirable in a public forum), and replied to objections. In return for that I have had my account semi-sabotaged, and been given an unjustified warning.

"Attacking/Harassing Other Members"? WHO did I harass or attack? I simply pointed out that SPAM is bad, and that posting several hundred automatically generated websites is without a doubt SPAM. That is not attacking anyone, that is NOT harassing anyone, it is simply stating a fact.

Could I please have some major moderator, preferably owner, attention on this?

Sincerely,
    Shane

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  2. MaryMary

MaryMary Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    uh-oh I smell another warning or infraction for starting this post about an unfair infraction on the way for you.

I just read your post...what exactly was your point again? You hijacked his sales thread and shouldn't have, that is clearly against the rules.

Just take the warning and move on...just remember not to make posts like that anymore.

MaryMary, May 1, 2007 IP
  3. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    No, thats not it at all, there is something seriously wrong going on here.

Am I not to present an opinion which goes against the crowd? Because that is the 'wrong' which I have committed. That is all. There was nothing violent or particularly "harrass-Like" about what I said.

However the replies to what I said were:
    For example: "Your an idiot. It's not spam"
    "you're making yourself look like an idiot"
    "This has to be the most ignorant post I have seen in a while, here or elsewhere!"

Admittedly, in the end ONE person did observe that it was a buy sell forum, not a discussion forum. So maybe I was wrong on that, and I said as much and unsubscribed. This happened at least 6 hours ago. And only just NOW I get this warning for a post which happened over a day ago for a reason which is not "Offtopic" which would at least be a semi-valid reason.

Instead I am told that I am harassing members, which is 100% untrue, and in fact reverse. They harassed me for saying something negative about what they are doing (and I stand by that completely), and someone has SABOTAGED an aspect of my account. And the moderator who managed who warn me, didn't manage to fix that.

No, I do not deserve an infraction for starting this thread, I deserve an explanation.

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  4. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    010081, May 1, 2007 IP
  5. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

But looking at a post in a vacuum, completely misses the point of a forum "Conversation". There is context, and ignoring the context completely misses the meaning.

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  6. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Warning for what you did wrong I assume.

maldives, May 1, 2007 IP
  7. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your assumption. Duly noted, and ignored.

Excuse me while I keep waiting for the real answer.
    (or at least some sort of indication that someone in some sort of managerial role is looking into this for me)

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  8. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Read your post, I think you should be given more than a warning there.

What you did was clearly wrong. That was hijacking.

If there was something wrong, then you should have sent a PM to the mods. Doing that, you've done what was needed to be done. They should pick it up from there.

--Joe

jdR!pper, May 1, 2007 IP
  9. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    First my reply:
    OMG, aren't any of you people READING the thread, or what I said here?

I DID report to the MODS, I DID send 'contact us' form to the forum.

And what I said was just to make a point. I said something was spam. The reply was "Your making money" so I attempted to make the point, that spam is not pleasant, ever. And I think there is no better way to do that, than to remind them how much SPAM we have to deal with all of the time.

There is nothing directly offensive about my post, other than the fact that is uses something which everyone hates to make a point. If you read between the lines though, i very clearly enunciated the message, and did so in a non-attacking and non-harrassing way.

-------------------------------------------

Second my reply to the fact that you didn't give me a chance to reply:
    WTF? Can't members here actually talk to mods? Can we only be dominated by them?

Since it seems you are a mod (having closed the thread and all), why don't you answer my questions, or offer to help out at all? Why am I left hanging with all of these unanswered questions? Why is it that the person being wrong is being made out to be the person in the wrong?

I feel like a black guy trying to convince a KKK gathering that Racism is wrong.

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  10. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    funny how not one person here thinks you're right and yet you keep insisting that you are.

devin, May 1, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  11. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said: feel like a black guy at a KKK convention.

What I don't understand, is if I am wrong, why won't anyone tell me? Why does everyone just assert it as self evident, and then act swarmy about it?

(and just to clarify, more than anything I am talking about the Spam topic, the thread in question. But for that matter, the fact that I did the right things and only received negativity for it...nah, I don't understand that at all either)

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  12. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to reply in the other post but it got closed and probably so will this.

Look, your posts' tone were demeaning. You hijacked a BST thread and got what you deserved.

The niche script is not spam, it uses dynamically generated content via RSS and such.

Your level of immaturity is shown by that fact that you are willing to keep opening threads after mods have closed them.

Learn your lesson and move on.

Skinny

Skinny, May 1, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  13. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    You were wrong for hijacking his sales thread. PERIOD

MaryMary, May 1, 2007 IP
    Skinny likes this.
  14. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    you broke two rules. first, you hijacked a thread. it doesn't matter if your points are valid or not. it's a BST thread, the only posts you're supposed to post is:

1) asking the seller for more info
    2) negotiating the price
    3) seller answering questions

what you did was attempting to undermine the seller's sales. valid point or not (i'm not even going to argue with you on that), you're still hijacking.

take a look at the freebies section. there's so many people selling WAREZ which are clearly illegal. yet if we were to jump right in and say, "don't buy! it's illegal!" we still get infractions for it.

by calling the seller a spammer, that's attacking other members. and yes, the others were 'attacking' you at the same time (by calling you a moron, immature, etc), and they probably got infractions for it too. yet it was only because YOU started it.

devin, May 1, 2007 IP
  15. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for a half reply. Creating 300 websites of non-content (automatically generated keyword specific pages, cannot be content, we don't have AI yet), is spam. It is a plague on the internet, and I said it, simple as could be and as far as I was concerned it was done. But if people deny that, then I am going to argue with them. It's in my nature to argue if I disagree because either I am right, or they are, and either way I would like to know the truth.

So, I argued. I always thought that that is what forums is for.... "discussion"

And instead of getting discussion, I was ridiculed, and had my account SABOTAGED (which STILL no one has mentioned btw).

As for my level of maturity? Its easy to look at the person being trodden on and call them deserving, and immature, but just wait until someone does it to you. You just try to be the person who everyone disagrees with, but won't tell why, and just abuses their power to shut up. This isn't immature, this is not taking something which I consider to be important lightly.

C'mon, try to see this from my perspective here.
    1. I participated in a forum, simply presenting an opinion and engaging in discussion on that opinion.
    2. I have my account sabotaged, report it to a mod, report it in a contact form, and move on (read the thread...I had already moved on)
    3. *I* get a warning. *I* get told I am in the wrong, and *I* get further infractions for questioning that judgement.

No, that is wrong.

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  16. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I'll happily accept that.
    And if you read the thread, I even admitted as much, 6 hours before I received the warning.

It was the actual description I received on the warning that I disagree with vehemnantly.

So, I consider that side settled. Now who do I have to speak to in order to have the problem fixed with the blog headline?

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  17. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    aegist, you are missing JUST one point.

you are right in that a forum is for 'discussions', but it has to be OUTSIDE BST. now, if you were to start a thread in, say, General Business, and then talk about spam using that as an example, you'd be fine (as long as you don't directly accuse any particular member).

you can go on defending your stance. those are posts that we welcome. intelligent discussion/argument.

EDIT: just saw your previous post. just start a new thread in Suggestions asking about the blog headline problem.

devin, May 1, 2007 IP
  18. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    Why don't you change it yourself in your user cp area?

MaryMary, May 1, 2007 IP
  19. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    Well actually, I would ideally like to be un-infracted for starting the first version of this thread, because the thread was started for the TWO reasons in the first place. I was pissed because I strongly felt that I did nothing wrong (other than what I had previously agreed to in the thread, and as I just agreed with you above) (which was not what the infraction was for), and in combination with that, someone has directly, and maliciously wronged me. Someone has clearly hacked into, or is actually a moderator and has purposefully changed the landing page of the blog headline on my account.

So it was in fact the combination of the two elements which made me so pissed.

And instead of having either of my concerns addressed, I was dismissed and received an other infraction.

MaryMary: Because the blog feed in the userCP is still accurate. It points to the correct spot as always. Someone is actively redirecting the link on the page.

Edit: One more thing, not as an excuse or anything, just a point for consideration. Part of my mistake of entering that conversation in a BST forum, was simply the fact that I read the thread Title from "New posts", and so I didn't even know what forum it was in. I just read the title, it got my interest, and I posted. My mistake, I'll pay more attention in the future.

Aegist, May 1, 2007 IP
  20. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Red infraction- Part II

:mad:

Crazy_Rob, May 1, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.