1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

September 11

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dominic, Sep 9, 2004.

We were just talking at home about september 11 and how it is only a few days away.

We recently went and watched Farenheight 9/11, and only last night watched a show about one of the rescue crews involved on the day.

I can remember sitting up all night and watching the coverage (all our TV stations in Australia stopped and went to constant CNN, ABC, NBC non-stop for days) anyway I watched from when it first happened for 12 hours straight.

My uncle who is top brass in the Australian army told me he was straight on the phone to friends in the pentagon as it happened. I actually have two uncles who are top brass, both served in Iraq.

The person who stands out for me was Rudolf Giuliani.

Dominic, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I was in French class when it happened. I saw the second plane hit, live.

It was alarming more than anything - I thought something major was going to happen. For some reason, maybe shock, 'terrorism' didn't register in my mind. I thought it was something far greater. :(

david_sakh, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I was in a math class - pretty sad day for America. One of the girls in the class actually had a parent working in the building, who later she found out- survived.

schlottke, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  4. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    god that's gotta be awkward. I hate when bad thigns happen to people. For some reason humans look so funny when they cry (call it some lingering Freudian child->adult thing) that I find myself wanting to laugh, even if I'm hurt inside or feel extremely sorry for the person. When bad things happen, I usually have to leave the room. Stupid 2#$^&&* phyche! :mad: :D

david_sakh, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  5. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I was driving to work and barely heard it on the radio (it was pre-coffee). It took me 10 minutes to figure out that something major was really going on. I drove to my brothers house (the closest place I could think of to find a TV) and watched the news for the next 2 hours. It was (and still is) very surreal when you're on the other coast.

I did get to swing dance in the bar on the top floor of the world trade center in 1999. That was quite a view and I'm sorry that's it gone :( . Osama is a pussy.

ViciousSummer, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    One young lady I used to work with did not make it out of the building, in addition to the the husband of another lady I was working with at the time.

Mouring is reactive. We must be proactive and ensure that the entire world knows without a shadow of a doubt that such acts against the American people will have only negative consequences for their perpetrators.

Will.Spencer, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  7. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    And so it was. Just think about how many thousands had to die since then. :(

leo, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    "Osama is a pussy."

Best ending- ever.

schlottke, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  9. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like to feel that I'm being told the full truth from the media (politicians - if only) about current affairs, but my 'bull shit detector' just keeps getting tripped these days... expecially by politicians.

Dominic, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  10. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    that's why I never liked George Bush. Every damn word that comes out of his mouth sounds as structured, careful, and substanceless as if he were talking to Christ himself. :rolleyes:

david_sakh, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    It's kind of a long complicated story, but in a work Ops Call early in the morning, I heard something had happened, when to cnn.com, it didn't respond, and then took a nap until 10:00 (noon NYT) - I had been working super-duper late. So I woke up after that, called my wife, and asked how the kitchen remodel project was going on. She said "OK, but what about the planes" ... and I said "what planes?" ... so I was probably one of the last people to find out about it!

hulkster, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  12. H-Man

H-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    I had friends that were on their way to Jamaica for there honeymoon. Ended up having to land in Nashville and visited Graceland. A downer but glad to be there.

H-Man, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  13. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    I was on my way to work when they were talking about a plane crashing into the WTC on the radio. I thought they were implying it was an accident, but I remember thinking that why would a pilot risk crash landing anywhere near there. Then they came on and said another plane crashed down in NYC. At that point I was guessing terrorism. So, when I got to work I went to the overcrowded break room to watch the live coverage. A guy I worked with, his cousin worked in one of the buildings. He was trying to call over there to find out if he was ok. It turns out his cousin normally starts work at 9, but was running late because of some appointment and never made it to work that day.

Joel Naten, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  14. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember I worked at home at the time and didn't watch TV much, especially in the morning. Nobody called us until about 2 pm California time and they were like, so how about those plane crashes, and we were like "what planes?" Then we turned on the TV and found out.

So I think we were the last ones to know. :p

I recently went and saw a documentary called "In Plane Site" in Long Beach, put on by KPFK and there was some interesting points being made.
    The In Plane Site site is probably something you will write off as a "conspiracy theory" at first, but after watching the actual DVD it asks some questions that would be interesting to find out. Although it doesn't answer them, because, well, that's why they are questions. I am intrigued by it.

Such Great Heights, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  15. Dji-man

Dji-man Peon

Best Answers:
    I was at work that morning, checking my sites when a coworker told me a plane had hit the WTC. I thought it was probably a small plane and started to check news sites. Cbc.ca, no response. Then cnn.com, again no response. I thought that if those 2 are down, it might be big. Then I tried news.bbc.com and saw the headlines. I got lucky and managed to get the live feed from the bbc online. I watched the rest of the morning events online, on a tiny Real feed, i was the only one the have the live stream online. I guess I was lucky, no one else could connect to that server, or any other news sites.

Like everybody else, i was shock, but also amazed at the power (and weakness) of the Internet under the circumstances.

Since 1993, I've witnessed many important planned events online, such as the mars rovers, but never a major unplanned event like this.

cnn.com's and the other news sites' stats were released a few days later. Then we knew after how many hits their servers crashed and what measures they had to take to keep their sites up. CNN had to create a lite version of their site in a few minutes/hours, with no images, only text, and a minimal css.

As bad as they events were, I would have liked to be involved with the management of a general news site, to have to react to the sudden surge in traffic.

Dji-man, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  16. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My mother-in-law called us to tell us. My husband and I were asleep and not terribly coherent at the moment, so it took me a moment to realize it didn't matter what channel my mother-in-law was watching; it would be on all of them.

My husband really wished he could have kept me from watching the news that day. We had recently found out that I was pregnant and he was feeling rather protective. We hadn't told anyone at that point, so no one else was worried about how I would take it, but he was going nuts. He had to go to work a couple hours later, but asked me to stay home from classes that day.

stephfoster, Sep 11, 2004 IP
  17. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    So take a trip. Visit Afghanistan. Visit Iraq. Visit New York.

Will.Spencer, Sep 11, 2004 IP
  18. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't you think he shouldn't have to?
    The news should provide people with the truth /real news, not some entertainment/news so more people watch their channel thus more advertising money.

they are motivated by greed and where their next advertising money is coming from, not what is good for the people to be informed about so we can make the right desicions, in voting/who we support and who we don't.

This always reminds me of the Upright Citizens Brigade episode/skit where the Weather Guy ont he news channel is really into his work, and tries to keep it real. The other main achor man and women (Skip McFavorite, and Candy Gladapple) smile while telling the news about a war/horrible news in East Timore. And when the weather guy calls them on it saying "Do you even know where East Timore is Skip"? Skip gets all flustered and the screen goes to "technical difficulties" sign. ... Hmm well it's funnier when you watch it. :p

Such Great Heights, Sep 12, 2004 IP