1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by D_C, Apr 30, 2007.

I'm sure this idea is not new, but I would like to see if anyone has made any sucess off of it.

The idea is to make a forum based on a general subject, with more topics into details inbetween, and pay the users for each post they make. The idea is that they will only get paid about a cent or so per post, however the amount of posts they can make is limetless, and the content of the post is pretty minimul too, just a set amount of words to meet in order for it to get counted.

The source of income would come souly from advertisers. The question is, would it be possible to get $100+ worth of advertisiers to sponsor such a forum? The forum would be advertised on a bunch of GPT forums and websites, and all the people from the GPT network are interested in these things. Therefor is it pretty much guarenteed traffic and users who want to post and keep posting.

I have seen a few websites like this, but non that are actually able to live for very long. A good one called crazoo uses profits from another website to pay for its members, and treats crazoo as a mainly advertising scheme for his websites. The goal is to make the forum self running and get somewhat of a profit.

Possible? Not? From what I can tell, it is not possible.

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  2. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    you'd get a bunch of people just spamming your forums all day. I dont think you can get that to work.

BILZ, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  3. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well the idea is also that it would be heavily moderated so that spam posts did not count and were deleted. There would also be about a 20 word count required in the post in order for it to count and get paid.

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why would ANY qualified person ever make a post or article for a tiny amount of 1 or several cents ???

anyone wanting to write could publish in a blog or website and make solid $ out of every post instead of cents

in a mixed topic blog with high traffic ( like mine for example )
    every single blog post averages about 1 US$ per month ...
    what a difference to your offer!

hans, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  5. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is why:

1: No profesional experiance is needed
    2: No hassle of finding clients
    3: No pressure, you can mispell anything.
    4: You do not have to worry about clients disliking your work
    5: No limet to how much you can earn

Must I go on? It is a easy way for a person with way to much spare time and no writing expertise to make a buck. Simple enough.

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  6. Dev0115

Dev0115 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that will work at all. Even though its easy to post, no one in the right mind would poast for 3 or watver amount of cents you're offering, its just a waste of time for them..

Dev0115, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  7. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I begged a differ:

www.crazoo.com

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  8. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this idea would work...for the right crowd...

if you manage to pull it off as a normal forum, and make the getting paid part just a perk...rather than the reason for the site...people that actually like the forum would stay to post, and be happy to get paid measly amounts because it's just a 'perk'...

now if you do the reverse, and advertise it as a way to make money, with the forum as the 'perk' then i don't think it would work...

I know I for one don't really care about money when posting on a forum that I like...but it would probably catch my eye and make me post a bit more than on 'the other' forum that i like...

Stax_Daniel, Apr 30, 2007 IP
    D_C likes this.
  9. Dev0115

Dev0115 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow who would've though, sorry about that then..Although I dont see how someone can sit there and post for like 2 cents, thats like going outside and looking for cans...Good Luck though.

Dev0115, Apr 30, 2007 IP
    D_C likes this.
  10. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The idea is to "get paid for talking about what you love". But you seem to be suggesting "Talk about what you love, and get paid to do it!"

Either one seems to work fine. I still do not see this as a way to make a self-paying for forum. The users would eventually rack up more money they want to be paid for than your sponsors are paying you to pay them. I have an idea or two to stop that. A limet of a few hundred a month paid to the first who come and get it. Just an idea.

It seems like the IDEA is possible, but so is comunisim =p. I'm still not convinced yet. Anyone else have an idea?

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  11. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    My idea...which i plan to use on one of my forums as well...is to make it so only a certain top percentage of the active users per month get paid...like the top 50 posters or something like that...i haven't worked out all the details...but i think it's a doable idea...

but like i said...my plan is to have the payment just be an additional 'perk'to the forum...not the other way around.

12. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very good idea. That would get people posting. Would you have them get paid for how much they posted, or for what rank they are in the top 50? By rank seems like a good idea.

Thats genious o.o

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  13. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    That's actually one of the things I'm trying to determine...haven't figured out which would be better...

though saying "you'll get $50 for being 1st"...sounds better than "you get $.01 per post"...

14. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yap, I agree. The incentive for $50 would just sound better than a cent per post. Although it may not BE better, it sure does sound better.

Tell me how it goes for you =) I think I like your idea of running a forum and then setting up the perk later, once it developed a bit.

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  15. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    that's actually what i'm going to do (which means this perk won't come up for at least 3 months...maybe more)...i wanna get the content coming in first...and a good user base (who can then help refer new users once they find out about the money involved...since i'll be including the amount of referrals somehow as well)

16. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds great, looks like we got an idea that may work now! thanks for shareing.

Thanks everyone!

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  17. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is that a daily prize? I doubt most people will waste their time on just 50 buck

ahkip, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  18. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    you're missing the point...

what i'm talking about is adding this as a new 'feature' or 'contest' to an existing userbase...not telling people to come post just for money...people will post for the sake of enjoying the forum...not for the sole purpose of earning money...

and also...i think your opinion is focused more on the big earners...as I know myself as well as a lot of people i know would gladly participate in something where we could win $50

(though when i said $50 i just picked a number out of thin air as an example :D)

19. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's what D_C doesn't have right now i guess.

ahkip, Apr 30, 2007 IP
    D_C likes this.
  20. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    'Corse not, I'm simply brain storming for future ideas.

D_C, Apr 30, 2007 IP