1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

does serving sites on the same server destroy pr efforts

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by spekz, Apr 29, 2007.

greetings all,
    i am giving the webmaster role another try after taking a few years off for personal reasons. i am back and excited to learn all that i can.

as i begin to build sites in the same general category, is it my best bet to host these sites with different hosts so that i can achieve the maximum possible pr?

spekz, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  2. gordano

gordano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, if your sites are with the same host you need to ensure they have different class C IP addresses. ... check your host account to see if this is supported.

If you host sites under the same class C IP then there will be much less benefit on linking between them ... otherwise it would be easy to set up 100 websites on a single low cost account and interlink them for PR benefit.

I hope this helps :)

gordano, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  3. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally, I don;t think that pose a problem as long as your site can attract quality links.

KC TAN, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  4. WunschShrek

WunschShrek Peon

Best Answers:
    This will only matter if you plan on inter-linking the websites.

If you want to interlink them, then yes, you either need seperate hosts or a dedi that allows you to add new IP's and then purchase new IP's for each website (aroudn 2$/ Month Each)

Personaly I dont interlink and host around 400 low traffic sites off just one of my dedi's.

WunschShrek, Apr 29, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  5. brk

brk Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but that's one of many many factors that influence PR.

So if you interlink a bunch of sites on the same class C IP, but everything else is maximized, it doesn't matter that much nor probably worth the effort.

brk, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  6. spekz

spekz Peon

Best Answers:
    you all brought up a few things that i did not consider. thanks a lot for your feedback.

spekz, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  7. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    If the ONLY way you plan to get PR is by inter-linking the sites that would be a bad thing. But if you're going to get the majority of your links from other sites ( and you'll need to, regardless ) it will be a drop in the bucket.

Forrest, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  8. gurusecrets

gurusecrets Peon

Best Answers:
    I've wondered about this myself (interlinking on same IP or Class C)...

What's the cheapest way to get around it, aside from buying another dedicated server?

How does Dreamhost do it?

Are your sites usually on different IPs or all the same one? (for any given account)

gurusecrets, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  9. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting plenty o' links from other web sites, ones that you don't control and are probably hosted in another time zone. That's free in most cases, and will get you a higher PR than by just inter-linking. PR has to come from somewhere; a bunch of sites with links pointing to each other won't grow that green bar much.

Forrest, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  10. josh_coffman

josh_coffman Peon

Best Answers:
    My hosting provider, Hostgator, allows me to order separate c-classes in blocks of 8 IPs at $2 each per month. You won't be able to order them individually, only in blocks.

So if you want 2 additional c-classes, you would have to order 2 blocks (16 ips) and pay $2 per IP per month.

Other hosts may vary, but you will likely have to order in blocks.

josh_coffman, May 1, 2007 IP