1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR v PS v BackLinks v Content v Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Apr 29, 2007.

Digital data is today 100% monitored and controlled by algorithms

I think although I don't profess to be an expert, and indeed who is an expert when all the algorithms are 'locked in a bomb proof safe' at G and other SE centers etc

That PR is not without errata and problems with synchronization

That PS is or can be achieved by any number of routes and methods

That Backlinks are essential but the need to be selective to where you get the back links is becoming more and more important

That moves us on to Content which is now the 'king of kings' in the essential compilation and roll out of new features and listings in respect to the strength needed to establish a solid robust directory

I know for some months now ! Ask ! and CReed et al have been advocatiing content for months now

Now it seems the single biggest strength that can make a directory successful is Content

What are Directory Owners thoughts on these subjects :-

Comments Please

britishguy, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  2. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Ditto.......Content is the most important thing.
    PR,PS and backlinks are not that hard to get if you have the money...

Richie_Ni, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And essentially unique content

4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I remebmer we had a debate then -- I didn't support it at that time --neither do I in the present scenario.

If you are looking for 100% of my personal view -- I think -our industry is different from other conventional websites. Our main revenue ( I am talking about paid directories) do not come from NORMAL surfers -- but from webmasters. We are not here to ranl high on SERPs ourshelves --but to assist our clients ( webmasters to rank high).

They know what they want with their websites and have their own SEO plans. We have no right to edit thei listings/contents they submit --because they are paying us to list those contents.

Due to extensive nature of our promotions --( by directory owners) -- I see many directories rank higher than the original site with contents.

So what do you want? To rank yourself AHEAD OF YOUR CLIENTS WHO PAID YOU?

Or -- You want to assist/facilitate him by spreading his website?
    I am in the second group-- I don't want to rank ahead of my clients but help a little bit by assisting him.

Regarding PR -- it has become obvious that money alone could not buy PR anyloger.

And if you are saying that contents help PR -- please check all directories --

You will be surprised to know that --the more a category/page had contents --the lower PR it got.

jhnrang, Apr 29, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  5. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Well each to their own opinion but the webmaster/directory owners are only a small section of the client base that directories service

We submit to paid directories daily and certainly 9 times out of ten our content text is edited of course we have no problem with that, as we submit to directories who check their d/b anchor text and content etc

So accordingly they invariably make changes to ensure unique content that is what is called responsible professional d/b management

6. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes --edition is very much necessary for FREE directories --as they need to rank higher on SERPs and more visitors from SEs --which require them to get good contents on pages.

But almost all webmasters are aware ( to some extent) about SEO -and they are submitting to paid directories so that their sites rank better by preparing well thought after description that suits their plans..
    So it is an offence to edit those contents which website owners submit after so much thought. WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE THEIR SEO GUARDIAN. We just can not change their texts because they are paying us to list not tamper with their SEO techniques.

On the other hand we need unique and good contents on our sites to rank get traffic from SEs --. This we can do ourselves without harming our clients by tampering with their submitted texts.

Infact some directory owners I know of already doing this. He is hired lots of people to write lots of contents for his directory and he is creating pages/sub-pages rather than playing SEO GURU to clients.

Sorry --can't disclose the name as he requested to keep it quite till its finished.

jhnrang, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  7. britishguy

Best Answers:
    We only note on how we see the market place, based on the consideration that many routes will lead to the same destination

That same destination can be reached also by differing modes of transport

The directory sector is very similar but you will always gain respect when you prevent a duplicated anchor text and content, whether that is by rejecting, editing or other appropriate solution result

8. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    With respect I don't agree. Money alone can get PR at least to 7. I am not sure about higher than that.

By this I don't mean that we can have a white page at PR7 although I have already seen a white page with PR3.

mahmood, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  9. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the aim is to have everything in balance.

If you spend time building up quality backlinks and high PR but don't imporove the content quality then people will see 'bad content' before the see good backlinks/pr.

So if you raise the bar for 1, you must raise it for all others too.

mistermix, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  10. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Pete --sure --
    The destination is same --just the approach--the road is different.

But -can you please answer me -- one Question?

Will you pay for a Tailored SHIRT --that you like --if the Tailor says he has to change something again on that SHIRT because otherwise it would hurt his reputation or something like that?

The webmasters know --what they are doing --otherwise they would not spend a CENT. Do you spend? Neither do I.

Ofcourse broken links are different. But --webmasters know about SEO or Duplicate anchor texts/ Description as much as we do. So if they submit same anchor texts/description to 20 directories --it would cost them $$$$. And they will spend that amount to serve their own purpose--for better ranking of their sites.

If we change thse anchor texts and descriptions --it would be like cheating them --because THEN --we are not thinking about SERVING our clients' purpose, we are thinking about our interests. Isn't?

Contents are the king -- and we need contents. We can surely add or create contents ourshelves.

I like Rob's DD and the contents he has. We can also create 10/20/30 BLOGs/subpages and add contents about anything we want. These will bring us traffic --no doubt about that. Again --there is no need to TAMPER with our clients.

jhnrang, Apr 29, 2007 IP