1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cheapest Registrar - "special pricing codes" - Post it Here

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by mohawkri, Aug 25, 2005.

Now that the Go Daddy "special pricing codes" no longer work, what are the cheapest registrars out there?

mohawkri, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  2. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't know about the absolutely cheapest registrars, that is, those selling at no profit or even a loss the first year, and charging you an arm and leg the next year. Plenty of those around. But, leaving "rock bottom" aside, and qualifying the question with "cheapest reputable registrars", two very good answers are RegisterFly and Namecheap.

Based on my research at WebHostingTalk, I was originally going to go with Namecheap, but RegisterFly had a wider selection of services. So, I've used RegisterFly for quite some time and have been fairly happy. Most of my support tickets have gotten a prompt and courteous reply, though lately it seems that they have been experiencing some growing pains (too successful...) and sometimes a reply can take a day or two. The administration interface is very good, among the best I've used. There are some minor bugs with login session timeouts, mass DNS updates and so on that I hope they would fix, but overall, it's excellent.

You should ignore the prices on RegisterFly's website; once you're a customer, they'll run promotions pretty much every week, allowing you to grab the usual extensions at $7.99/each, .net for $5.50 and .info for $1.99. They also sell Whois protection for $0.99/year/domain, which is likely the cheapest available anywhere (GoDaddy charges ten times as much). In practice, you'll get the Whois protection free, because the promotions will allow you to grab up to 100 Whois "protection packs" whenever registering new domains. I've managed to accumulate some thousands of extra units by now, so should be covered for a year or two ;)

Recommend you give RegisterFly a try. And if you're going to sign up with them, just so that this doesn't get too altruistic, here's my affiliate link with them :D (PM me and I'll make it worth your while with some inside info ;))

Willy, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  3. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy still seems to be the lowest even without codes. 3.95$ domain is pretty good deal ( well, you gotta buy non-domain product, but they have 3.7$ montly hosting)

dshah, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  4. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well 1and1.com offers domains at $5.99 no strings attached

bloodwrath, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  5. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some Godaddy resellers are quite cheap too. :rolleyes:

muchacho, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  6. SamOwen

SamOwen Peon

Best Answers:
    RegisterFly is cheap but they spam me like mad! I've contacted support about this and I never got an answer. I also use NameCheap and I like them, plus they accept PayPal.

SamOwen, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  7. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, there are good offers every week. I don't mind at all :D

Willy, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  8. mohawkri

mohawkri Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Register Fly and Name Cheap: They are expensive, aren't they?
    I only pay $6.95 at dotfrog.com.

mohawkri, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  9. mohawkri

Best Answers:
    Also, Fabulous only charges $6.75 for .com, .org and only $4.75 for .net.

mohawkri, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  10. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going to use a non-ICANN certified company, you might as well just install your own nameserver (I think like bind) and register all your domains for free. It's about as safe. :cool:

hth,

tom

TommyD, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  11. a3196

a3196 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo domain is $4.95... I think that's pretty low....

a3196, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  12. picobello

picobello Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy is very good and sometimes cheap.

picobello, Aug 29, 2005 IP
    dshah likes this.
  13. hajamie

hajamie Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that possible?

hajamie, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  14. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Tommy meant that in jest, not to be taken seriously :D But, yes, you can naturally add any arbitary domains you want to your own DNS servers, if you have full control over them, but as long the 13 "root" (or, top-level) DNS servers don't know about those domains, it's not exactly like anyone can use 'em unless they've configured their computer to query your servers ;)

There are actually several organizations that have done this, and offer "independent" TLD extensions like .indy, .geek, .parody and so forth. For more information, refer to Wikipedia's excellent (as always) coverage of the subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root

However, for all practical purposes (as in 99.9% of Internet users), ICANN has a monopoly and ultimate say in what constitutes a TLD.

Willy, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  15. mohawkri

Best Answers:
    Possible, but not real! Only use authorized registrars or resellers.

I use www.dotfrog.com, which is an authorized domain registrar, and Fabulous, a very reputable firm.

And of course, GD when they have specials. Such as the one shown here: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=119713

mohawkri, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  16. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but as mentioned before I was being sarcastic.

Sure you can leap to your death from a bridge, buy why do it? ;)

But seriously, make sure you registrar is ICANN Accredited/Certified. Without it you are just gambling, and paying for nothing(nothing meaning you can do the same for free).

List: http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html Note some registrars have domains not exactly like their site name, so you have to check under the parent company's name, not the site's name. Example: 1and1.com is listed under Schlund+Partner AG

tom

TommyD, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  17. mohawkri

Best Answers:
    No one here has suggested that, so why make a comment like this? :confused:

18. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:

Maybe because services that I couldn't even verify came up, and I wanted to help out people just don't know.

Example: I can't even get to http://ww w.dotfrog.com/ to check for a company name. There seems to be some forwarding thing to dotfrog.myorderbox.com that is generating errors.

See why I suggested people research first. :confused:

tom

TommyD, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  19. mohawkri

Best Answers:
    I wrote this here to help out folks that may not know that they are being ripped off by the high registration fees that are being charged by the big registrars that you seem to be protecting.

www.dotfrog.com is a valid URL and a certified DirectI reseller. http://www.dotfrog.com is the domain that forwards to http://dotfrog.myorderbox.com which is the reseller interface.

See, you wrote without researching or knowledge. This is what happens when someone just wants to get a post in just for the heck of it. If you had questions, you should have asked first.
    My advise: Don't respond unless your response is well researched.

I have over 200 domains registered there, (mostly because I can get a .info for a 1.95 a piece) I also have over 800 more at various other registrars. I have been a porfolio owner since 1995. :D

20. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Still I get:

-------------------
    Cannot find server or DNS Error
    ---------------------

whey trying to access dotfrog.com

I see you can't read.

tom

TommyD, Aug 30, 2005 IP