1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you get rid of a domain name you don't want?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by tesla, Apr 25, 2007.

I have a three year old website that is not doing anything. It gets very little traffic, and the amount of money it makes per month in Adsense is pathetic. Having said that, I'm interested in deleting all the content off the website, and creating a new site, with a new template and content.

The problem is, the current domain name is not good for the new site I want to build. Is there a way to delete the old domain name for the site, and register a new one for the old website, without having to build a completely new website?

tesla, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  2. ryukenden

ryukenden Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just copy all the files including database and transfer the files via ftpsurfer to new domain. I think it should do.

ryukenden, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  3. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You would have a backup copy of your site on your computer, correct? If not, download the whole site via FTP to your computer, then when you have a new domain, upload it to that one.

htmlindex, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  4. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the domain? Maybe you can sell it to some one else.

yogesh sarkar, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  5. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if you have a domain name that you don't want, don't just delete it. Put it up for sale here on DP or give it away for free to another DP member that might be interested in it

htmlindex, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  6. SeanIM

SeanIM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sell it...

SeanIM, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  7. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Give it away for free to the best blog review one on your new site.

drig, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  8. julandy

julandy Peon

Best Answers:
    usually hosting companies offer free parking so you could park the domain name you do not want and then register a new domain name, change the DNS settings to your hosting account, upload your new site and bobs your aunte :)
    That way you keep your old hosting account but you have a new domain name and a new website.

julandy, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  9. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    What I do is let them expire while profiting via domain parking, in which only domainhop has paid me decent conversion rates.

And let me tell you that I have tried from Sedo to Namedrive but none of them offer good rates.

Your Content, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  10. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to keep the hosting account but do not want to use the old domain name, you probably need to contact your web host to do a change in the main domain name associated with the account.

Then put the old domain name up for sale or let it expire. People may be interested in a 3 year old domain name.

eddy2099, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  11. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some may find a three year old domain valuable

dnk, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  12. Nightcoder

Nightcoder Active Member

Best Answers:
    I might be interested in buying the domain name from you tesla, can you send me the domain details and the expiry dates via pm please. Thank you.

Nightcoder, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  13. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Hope you are not coming from namepros from most people want to buy domains names facing the described situation at a price not bigger than $1 to $10 bucks :rolleyes:

Your Content, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  14. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some of you are a bit confused about this, so I will elaborate. This is the website I'm talking about:http://www.link-monkeys.com/

I want to keep the physical website, because I want to redesign it into something new. I originally built it for my link exchange service, but I'm no longer interested in that. However, the domain name Link Monkeys will not work for the new site I want to build. I'm simply looking to get rid of that domain name, and keep the physical website.

I only have so much space available, so I don't want to go to the trouble to build a new site. I need to know how I can get rid of the domain name, and keep the physical site. Can I sell it someone? I'm fairly new at this aspect of being a webmaster. I've never done this before.

tesla, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  15. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Went you mention the 'physical' website, do you mean the hosting account or the content of the site ?

If it is just the hosting account, you can tell your web host that you got a new website name then get them to change that association to your site from say http://www.link-monkeys.com to say http://www.new-monkeys.com . Then the old domain name 'link-monkeys.com' would no longer be used and you can sell the name.

Of course, you can sell the old site.

Alternatively, if your web host does not permit you to change the associated site name, you can cancel the plan and restart a new one with the new name so you have a fresh start.

Yes, you can sell the site as it is as people may want to buy it, what they do after with it is their issue.

eddy2099, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  16. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    There is an easy and nice way to get domains that you don\'t want... offer them for free at DP\'s buy, sell & trade :rolleyes:

Pat Gael, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  17. dotsonr

dotsonr Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a catchy name, dude. I bet you could sell it, especially with 3 years aging and even a little bit of traffic.

dotsonr, Apr 27, 2007 IP