1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitewide vs Single page Links

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by aicoma, Apr 23, 2007.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but...here it is anyway

Is it better for SEO to have a link on say a single front page of a PR5+ site, or is there more 'juice' in having sitwides, even if many of the sitewide pages are PR0...?

Appreciate your thoughts..

M

:eek:

aicoma, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  2. Swirleigh

Swirleigh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I avoid sitewides. It doesn't seem "natural".

I'd go for a link from the homepage or similiar themed page as the one they are linking to of mine.

Swirleigh, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  3. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    Why doesn't it seem natural?...there are a lot of sitewide links on the internet...seems like it's a pretty normal thing to me.

Stax_Daniel, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  4. aicoma

aicoma Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, confilicting opinions, thats good, get the discussion going !

aicoma, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  5. vesparich

vesparich Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to get links embedded in content on topically relevant pages. Usually the best and most relevant page is not the home page. I'd go with authoritative content over PR.

vesparich, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  6. yaffer

yaffer Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you familiar with Duncan Hunter? he gives away a directory script called link managenment assisstent (LMA) it has links at the bottom which he sells for $1000 per month. He recently started a project to make a site from scratch and get it earning money as fast as possible. he put links to his new site on his link network and within just a few weeks hads tens of thousands of backlinks to the new site, that now ranks in the top 5 for each of his keywords. so i think the bottom line is that links are links, contrary to some ideas about backlinks.

yaffer, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  7. aicoma

aicoma Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, intersting comments, i will go away and look at some these suggestions.

aicoma, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  8. Finding Tom

Finding Tom Peon

Best Answers:
    Site-wide links never seem to make much of a difference - be it good or bad.

Finding Tom, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  9. Swirleigh

Swirleigh Active Member

Best Answers:
    My company created a new little site and pointed every page of our large site to it. The little site didn't list on Google, nothing for four months, even though Webmaster tools gave internal and external link stats.

I changed all sitewide links to nofollow, and three days later little site listed.

Having a ton of links pointing to your site with the exact same wording is bad, unnatural. Better if you get everyone to link to you with variable wording. If I get a site willing to link to many pages of our site on many pages of their site, I get each link going to a different page, with keyword phrase for that page.

Swirleigh, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  10. poksa

poksa Banned

Best Answers:
    For me I'll go on a single Home page link...

coz its's useless to link in a site wide sites. otherwise it will hurt you.

poksa, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  11. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    I dont think their is anything wrong with either or, but I prefer single links just for personal taste :)

theseokit, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  12. Comenius

Comenius Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some research a few weeks ago on the top Google site in one of the keyword phrases I'm targeting.

I was very surprised that this particular site had literally hundreds and hundreds of sitewide links from completely unrelated sites, but all using the exact keyword phrase.

Compared to other sites in the top 10 for this keyword phrase, there didn't seem to be any other reason why this site was ranking #1.

At least in this case, sitewides appeared to be working very nicely.

Comenius, Apr 26, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  13. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    that is a nice bit of interesting research...now just to somehow manage my budget to allow me to gets hundreds of site wide links with my keyword :D

Stax_Daniel, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  14. wdwp

wdwp Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitewide links are natural. For example, blogrolls (including google's blogger).
    I'd consider this: is the site good? is it related? is anyone visiting it actually going to click on your link?
    Google seems to be pay attention to actual traffic flows for determining link relations.

wdwp, Apr 28, 2007 IP