1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To email or not to email

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by isaiasd2003, Aug 26, 2005.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2005.
  1. E-mail laws, and policies are too tough on true advertisers.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. E-mail marketing is highly allowed, and safelist e-mailing is highly successful.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
    I always heard and read by many sources that sending any advertisement to e-mail addresses that haven't specifically requested whatever specific information or to be opt-in in other words for however long is considered spam, and all those who do it are spammers.
    Of course, I've also read some of those laws on spam, and how it wouldn't be spam were defined in many ways. One of the ways I read once was, if your sending the e-mail to a friend, or replying to an e-mail sent to you.
    (This is going to begin to get confusing.)

My case senario:
    Say I got a fowarded e-mail from a friend of mine, its a chain letter like many annoying friends send, *but is this Gold in disquise, or is this still piece of flaming crap in a bag?

You see, mr/ms(or mrs) annoying friend happened to send me a forwarded letter with atlease 300 e-mail addresses, their all connected in one way, technically the way these forwarded chain letters get around is why send to friend, family, etc and those send to their friends, family, etc and you get the picture it totals up to hundreds of e-mail addresses. So, just as the title states, "to email or not to email".
    :confused: :D This is the question that comes to mind. I mean, they obviously love to all send and accept these stupid chain letters anyhow, why not send them something more worth their time.

Anyhow, this is fully up for debate, go nuts.

Also if you guys/girls have any information about the definitions of spam other than big G. bleak details, as well as those others out there. KEEP it informative, no one likes those bleak answers of what is and what isn't spam, etc.:)

isaiasd2003, Aug 26, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    spam is spam....is SPAM!

Don't you have anything better to do w/ your time? Read a book or something. :confused:

Crazy_Rob, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

What part of spam don't you understand?

<-----Give me spam or give me death.

Let us know how you like it once all the spambots start sending you there 'gold'. :D

Nintendo, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  4. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You won't believe how crazy I'm going over this right now.

I stripped all my clothes off and covered myself in a mixture of ice cream and hot chocolate. Then I got on a 10” miniature bike and rode it around with a Saint Bernard on my shoulders that is eating the ice cream off my head all the while a midget in a dominatrix outfit whips me. I created a ramp that is in the form of a loop and I just rode the bike and completed the loop-de-loop which ended with us riding through a flaming hula-hoop.

At the end of all this madness though the dog, the dominatrix midget, and I still agree this is SPAM.

Hodgedup, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    My definition; unsolicited email = spam
    Everybody else's definition; unsolicited email = spam
    Don't do it or you could get a good kicking...

Lever, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  6. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    If the reader of your e-mail think its a spam, then booom. And, what do you mean on TRUE advertisers? Every single spam mail I got were from some advertisers. I absolutely freaking hate those people. I once read a book about how a killer asteroid is goin to wipe out the entire planet's population, and boy that would get rid of those advertisers.

A spam is a spam, yes.

YianG, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  7. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    YianG, everytime I see your avatar I hear Jabba the hut's laugh.

Hodgedup, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  8. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    lmfao, define spam in detail please :D

isaiasd2003, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  9. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    Hahaha... laughing makes a happy Hut. :D

YianG, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  10. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    dude... its not like I went off giving urs out. I just was saying if the spammers are spamming me, why not spam them back?

11. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, see, you just said "spam them back." So even you consider it as spam, so it's spam alright.

Also, when you receive a spam letter, and you get hold of all these addresses, but you don't know if these people all deleberately sent out the mails, right? What if these are from machines that were infected with worms? There are plenty of these out there, you know. :cool:

YianG, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  12. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    true advertisers, such as google, etc. I've received emails from some of those top sites, all of which at the time I never requested anything from them. All these companies did in the past in many cases is, they got a bought a mailing list,(thus adding them into the third party rank) and sent the e-mails to these people of interest. Not all, but many online companies that are big now did this in the past.:eek:

13. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    ehh, can't wait til this thread goes away lmao, only gettin small spits worth of detail on definitions of spam, and everyones coping everyone else. lol:(

14. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Sure, waste your time spamming them back, that'll be 1 less descent site on the net to compete with, which you could have created with the time spent spamming.

POLL:
    E-mail laws, and policies are too tough on true advertisers.
    E-mail marketing is highly allowed, and safelist e-mailing is highly successful.

I don't see a good choice in your poll.

Roman, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  15. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we need tio appreciate the humor behind hes action more than just think "spamming is bad." He is not trying to get away from spamming. He is more like experimenting with alternative advertisement strategies... hehehe :D

Well, what kind of definition do you need for spam? When you say everyone is just copying everyone else's definition, maybe that's because everyone agrees what the definition of spam is. You can get a list of results of "spam definition" on Google. If you have come here and ask the question... why suprised to find "our" point of view? ;)

I don't really care who send me the e-mails. MSN, Google, Amazon, ebay, you name it... I don't care if they are "top sites" or not. All I know is that I was on their mail list, I didn't ask to be put on the mailing list, and there is a mail that has nothing to do with me, and it is in my mail box while I didn;t ask for it. That is enough to be a spam, because it is annoying. So I guess our general definition for spam is some e-mail that you didn't want to have, and not only you have it, it keeps coming.

And I wonder why would anyone want to do this e-mailing thing as a method of advertisement. Everytime I see a company, which hasn't acquired my approval, sends me e-mail telling me about the great deal they have, I remember them and NEVER want to be associated to them in any way, because I know a company that cares about its customer would never wanted to annoy their customer.

I still think back-firing at spammers is also considered as spam. I think it is a brilliant idea, sort of like a kind of vengence upon those evil-doers. But The point is I don't believe you could really define everyone on your list to be the spammers. It would hurt some people if they are just victims of some spammers.

YianG, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  16. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    then it means by me reading the dam forwarded chain letter, I then am hit with the worm too. I only called it spam by your guys definition which was any unwanted mail. That could just as well include the monthly e-mails from yahoo, etc. Whoever owns the e-mail company.