1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Deep Links Mod

Discussion in 'Directories' started by enQuira, Apr 23, 2007.

1. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Listen to the wise man. :)

LeopardAt1, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  2. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Mhamdi is well on his way to establishing a good reputation.

The fact that he has provided the mod for free, and is making tweaks based on the community's input in the open, and doing them so quickly, speaks volumes in my book.

jmort732, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope your right in your opinion. It may sound honorable but you have to work and communicate with others. It sounds good to be true though.

I am looking for a MOD like I can put a Sponsor Link in every category instead of a sitewide if you really do care about the community can you make one for this ?

I will certainly appreciate if you can provide us with a free version for this.

popotalk, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  4. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    So let me get this straight, your praising this guy for ripping off someone else's work and undercutting the market.

That speaks volumes about you.

Have a nice day

MarRome, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We'll see the answers in the next few weeks or so Mar Rome. We'll know the whole agenda and what's its all about. Meanwhile I suggested something. ;)

And thanks for the Red Rep whoever you are with no balls of even putting your name.

6. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:

I would never approve of anyone ripping anyone's work off. It's wrong and it is stealing. I am praising this guy for providing a mod in the spirit of open source.

Who's work has he ripped off?

If you are talking about Anon's mod, this one does not appear to based on his code. (At least from what I can tell, as I have never seen Anon's mod).

If he is indeed using Anon's code, then I take the praise back because that would be wrong.

I made my own mod but didn't release it cus I can't get it to validate correctly, does that mean I am ripping someone off?

The information to make changes necessary for this mod, are freely available.
    Here: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844
    Here: http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7235

7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    let me clarify something.

1. i have never had a problem with anyone replicating a mod. others have it, and ask them if i have ever complained. (NeoGen of mainsearches) for example. Ask him if our conversation wasn't one of pleasant conversation.

2. i do have a problem when they directly strip my code. i do have a problem with liars claiming they have a website running *my* mods and claiming it to be theirs. make your own code that functions the same and hey all is well. no problem

so, with that being said, I hope all can weather the dry season, no matter what mods you have, because it's about to start :evil grin:

the qbc scavenger hunt will remain intact, but just remember, those that were mocked in this thread are the hands that feed you. not a wise move and/or choice if you ask me, because those were the people who did buy what was out and who did send money and do spend money. do you now think they will submit to you because you have a replicated mod and also insulted them? sorry for you guys.

good luck with your improvements and whatever you can make and expand on. i've no objections to improvement, and have nothing to prove. that was done a long time ago. I will be here tomorrow as i always have been, and that means next week, next month, and next year, but will you?

good luck,

Rob

now, keep the thread on topic and continue your progress with your mods. there doesn't need to be any arguements.

an0n, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  8. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can also get tutorial from phpld vault how to make extra fields in phpld for $10 and you get some useful mods also ....

I don't understand this fuss around deep links mod. Competition is always good lots of people say in other threads :D

Also some people can make and maintain their own mods and don't need 24/7 support....

This war between anon supporters and people going "the other way" is getting boring as all those muslim threads....

And please don't jump at this guy right away and accusing him of stealing or something....

As I said there is tutorial for making extra fields in phpld available and you can easy make deep links mod with that tut .... or should I expect accusations in the future that I stole something when I make deep links mod ?

iatbm, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  9. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the clarification Anon. And you are right, we spoke about it, and you were indeed very pleasant.

Can you clarify if this mod appears to be stripped from yours?

Thanks!

Also, whoever gave me the red rep (and it is pretty obvious who it is) , I think it is undeserved. What is wrong with praising someone else's work? If I have done something wrong, I will gladly correct it. But to red rep someone for nothing is just wrong.

10. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Off Topic
    popotalk you do that simply by placing the code below, where you want the links to appear:

{if $category.id eq 1}
    <!-- Sponsored Travel links -->
    <a href="http://www.travel.com">Travel</a>
    {/if}

{if $category.id eq 2}
    <!-- Sponsored Sports links -->
    <a href="http://www.sport.com">Sport</a>
    {/if}

Back to Topic,
    Let me clarify also that copying code doesn't apply here. I provide something free and I don't promise that I will be here forever, just for the record I am a member here a year before you.

Anyways, I hope this thread remains for technical questions about the mod.

enQuira, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    imteaz and moneymakingguru like this.
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok Nice. Thanks and appreciate that. Now its starting to clear. :)
    Would you also be kind enough to put an installation or any guide as I am not a techie.

Thanks

12. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    This mod being released like this isn't good, maybe i could understand it if he even used the phpld script. Part of the strength of the mod was that it wasn't utilized by every directory, which kept the price of submissions up. Now every site will more than likely use it, which means the price dir owners will be able to charge for deep links will go down.

jmort732, I was out of line in my response to you and please accept my apologies.

MarRome, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    an0n likes this.
  13. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    monopolium huh :D

iatbm, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  14. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "which kept the price of submissions up." - I don't feel that is an accurate statement. The directory script you use has very little to do with the over-all success/value of your directory. There are many folks that run directories on many different scripts (some straight HTML) and are very successful. It is the directory owner that makes a directory successful, the script is just a tool to help.

I should state that I am a big fan of phpld and recently bought a block of 10 licenses. The phpld script and community has helped me make my directories successful but there are lots (and I mean LOTS) of unsuccessful phpld directories, most because the owners are in it for a quick buck and don't spend time and money on promotion and advertising.

But I am going way off-topic, so back on topic. I think it is great tha an0n stepped in on this thread with his thoughts. I was sorry to hear about his code being stolen and that is a shame but I am sure he will persevere.

Well I see I sort of mis-read the quote I quoted but I guess it still applies to the fact that a 'mod' won't really make or break a directory there are a lot of other factors that make them get submissions. So a poorly linked, badly promoted directory that is offering 100 deep links won't likely be successful, but I am stating the obvious I guess.

jg123, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  15. khushal

khushal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure wether to try out this free toool or not.
    will be great to know if an0n has no problems with it and that this code is purely owned by mhamdi....

In either way, can i use it for free and with no objection from other members who i think mean to say its a rip off?

khushal, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  16. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess theres always two sides. Those who couldn't pay an0n for the mod get less submissions because those who could has a better feature.

But lets say...

Okay, so what happens if someone comes along and makes a mod that makes this and an0ns current deep link mod obsolete? What happens to the market then.

LeopardAt1, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  17. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i am going to add deeplinks mod on another directory of mine,and i have to say i will pay the money to an0n for it...But,having said that,there will always be someone that develops codes and script i guess.

templates, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  18. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that this will be accurate in the future. Many of the directories that will utilize this option might be able to realize a price increase in their submission fees, but it will not drive the pricing down at most other directories.

I think it'll just reinforce the pricing futher at those quality directories that already offering this option.

CReed, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your right Creed and we need only the update to prove it. :)

20. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    The market will spilt, the ones that will try the do-it-yourself option and the ones that have better things to do with their time.

One thing is offering code another one completely different is to offer a service.

You can buy the beef, bread, cheese, ketchup and more and make your own hamburger or just go to MacDonald’s and buy it already made.

mhamdi thanks for working on this and sharing your code, I am sure that your intentions are genuine

! Ask !, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    moneymakingguru likes this.