1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Emails as Evidence

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by sgorman, Apr 24, 2007.

Hi - Just a quick question:

Emails that I have in my inbox: according to British law, are these admissable as evidence?:confused:

sgorman, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  2. firmaterra

firmaterra Peon

Best Answers:
    To the best of my knowledge, yes. But you have to be able to prove that they came from, and were sent by, the person you claim sent them.

Haven't internal memo's sent via email shown up in newspapers (ie leaked documents) and court cases before??

firmaterra, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  3. sgorman

sgorman Active Member

Best Answers:
    sgorman, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  4. m1t0s1s

m1t0s1s Peon

Best Answers:
    All of my email is protected by my google/gmail password

m1t0s1s, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  5. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, and Google would never roll on you...

AfterHim.com, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  6. sgorman

sgorman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.

But If I sent you an email saying x is y and then it cost you money and then you took me to court... could you use that against me?

sgorman, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  7. Daz

Daz Guest

Best Answers:
    Sgorman - as was previously indicated, if they can prove that YOU (And not anybody else within reasonable doubt) sent that email, yes.

Daz, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  8. paladin1

paladin1 Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft has a solution for keeping emails for legal purposes - you can read more at http://www.123together.com/deha/exchange_archiving_compliance.xhtml

paladin1, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  9. AllyWalker

AllyWalker Peon

Best Answers:
    The legal position is this:

in criminal cases, an email could not be used against you, and in any event you require an independent source of concurrent evidence to act as corroboration - if you don't have 2 pieces of evidence pointing to the main point, you can go down.

in civil cases: probably would be admissible, although you can raise the point that email is very insecure and not necessarily evidence of coming from a specific person, etc etc...

Remember also - beyond reasonable doubt only applies in criminal cases, and you wouldn't have to prove anything in court unless you raised a special defence.

AllyWalker, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  10. TimNigel

TimNigel Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think "within reasonable doubt" would apply here: "reasonable doubt is a concept which arises only in criminal law, not civil law. Unless deemed for some reason more prejudicial than probative, they would be admissible in evidence if that was simply what they could be interpreted as showing, on one viewpoint, and it would be up to the court to decide how much credence they should be given. There isn't even an "on the balance of the probabilities" test for individual items of evidence in civil cases. That's an overall impression arrived at by the court, after assessing the weight of all the items of evidence collectively. Emails can be admitted in evidence but, as with all evidence, the other side is free to challenge their veracity/reliability.

TimNigel, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  11. Hades

Hades Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, in my opinion, if it was sent from something like Yahoo mail, or hotmail, it probably wouldn't be admissable. And if it was, it could just be easily knocked down. If it was sent from an ISP providers email, like Comcast or Verizon, then it would be more usefull. Of course, all of this is coming from a kid who took PLAW 101, so don't trust my judgement.

Hades, Apr 26, 2007 IP