1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Geotargeting and YPN - interesting

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by internetmarketingiq, Apr 23, 2007.

I've been testing Ads with YPN today and I found something very interesting.

I believe YPN is using GEO TARGETING (based on your ISP assigned IP address) way too much!

I was comparing Adsense to YPN on my own sites then something really interesting happened.

I decided to look at other sites that have YPN and low and behold - same ads!

I'm seeing ads for a car dealer on my site with YPN which has nothing to do with the automobile industry at all! Then I visited a totally unrelated Pets site and saw the EXACT SAME ads.

So this leads me to believe that at this point in time Yahoo is in fact serving ads based on your IP Adress and something to do with payout and for the most part ignoring the content on the page all together.

I believe that is a strategy that advertisers will not embrace.

Try it for yourself and see what you see.

internetmarketingiq, Apr 23, 2007 IP
    d16man likes this.
  2. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, this is something that has been going on for some time though...I believe that YPN is losing advertisers, and is therefore having to scramble to find ads that will actually appear in spaces provided. jmo though.

d16man, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  3. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    these georegional ads have been running for quite some time. through my own testing i have found that it has nothing to do with having enough advertisers to fill the ad blocks. you can verify this by putting 1 234x60 as the sole ad block on the page and still get the georegional ad as the only ad. i believe what they are trying to do is figure out how to get the main keyword and your city / state to work together and show the proper ads that are bidding on the {city} keyword phrase and corresponding bid. this isnt working well at all. what i find totally unprofessional are the low conversion terminations that are due to these ads, although most low conversion terminations are due to misuse of category targetting and little to do with contextual targetting.

as always, jmo

karagold, Apr 23, 2007 IP
    d16man likes this.
  4. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's an especially poor strategy when you consider the Travel Industry. If I am looking to Book a Hotel in Santa Barbra and I live in Chicago I doubt that I'd be interested in Chicago Hotel Ads.

Looks like Yahoo is going to need to shell out some of those banked billions to hire people who know how to run a contextual advertising program. I'm sure there are a few people at Google who would be less loyal if the money was right. (Confidentiality Agreements notwithstanding).

internetmarketingiq, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While targeting has been horrible for a long time, I think they have been experimenting with something different the last few days. YPN lacks advertisers, but they are purposely serving 2 of 4 geotargeted ads even when they have relevant ads. If you block the geotargeted ads, all ads become relevant for a period of time before different geotargeted ads appear.

With only 200 urls able to be blocked, you can't keep up with blocking the non-relevant across multiple sites. I've gone from running 80% YPN to 20% adsense to about 90% adsense on my 60 plus sites. I've seen a vast increase in CTR that more than offsets the generally higher paying YPN clicks.

Yeah, they are still in beta - and when they start making improvements rather than going backwards, I'll switch back in a heartbeat.

mjewel, May 11, 2007 IP