1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pending Renewal or Delation

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by thebassman, Aug 25, 2005.

Once a domain name has gotten to that stage, how long until someone can snatch it up? I've had one backordered, and it expired on July 24th of this year...

thebassman, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  2. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Usually 30 days. Sometimes longer.

Dastar, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  3. irongloves

irongloves Active Member

Best Answers:
    let's look at the typical paths a domain name can take during its "life-cycle":

1) A domain name is registered for a fixed period of 1-10 years

2) As the expiry/renewal date approaches, the owner of the domain name is sent one or more reminders that they must pay the domain name renewal fee

3) If the domain name owner renews the name, then the domain name returns to its status in Stage 1)

4) At the renewal date, since the domain name has not been paid for and the registration has run out, the domain name is put on hold. The domain's nameserver information is deleted or modified to point to the registrar's homepage or to a page explaining that the domain name in question has expired.

Another effect of the "hold" being placed upon a domain name is that the domain name is no longer transferable to another registrar (for example, one with a lower renewal fee!)

5) Most registrars have a "grace period" (sometimes detailed explicitly on their site or by email, oftentimes applied without comment) after domain names have expired.

During that grace period, the original owner of the domain name can pay to renew their domain name (and hence remove it from "on hold" status and reactivate it). Some registrars may impose an additional administrative "penalty fee" to renew domain names during their grace period. If the domain name owner renews the name during the grace period, then the name returns to Stage 1)

6) At the end of the grace period, the existing owner can no longer renew their domain name and has lost all control over it. What happens next depends on the registrar...

Some registrars will delete the name immediately following the end of the grace period. Some will hold it for a certain additional time-period before releasing it. And some will change the ownership information on the domain name so that it becomes registered to the "Unpaid Names Department" or similar, and continue to hold the name for an extended period of time before it is finally deleted..

Once a domain name has reached Stage 6), it is about to return to the domain market i.e. it will once more become available for registration. If the domain name is considered valuable, there may be many interested parties lining up to try and grab it i.e. to attempt to secure it as it is deleted.

irongloves, Aug 25, 2005 IP
    Willy and thebassman like this.
  4. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great info! Any idea how long network solutions tends to have a "hold" on expired domains?

5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Where did you backorder it, bassman? Domain backorders are now a very popular business, and if the domain you are waiting for is a popular one you can be sure it will be catched by the "big guys" and you will have to enter an auction for it. Domains can end up costing thousands thanks to this.

fryman, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  6. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Count on forever. They're the worst.

flawebworks, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  7. thebassman

Best Answers:
    I back ordered it through GoDaddy...

8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yikes... forget about that, I haven't seen them catch a domain ever...

If it is just a domain you don't care about, then it is ok, but if you are serious about it, might as well join snapnames.com and pool.com and place a backorder with them

fryman, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  9. thebassman

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I don't really care... I plan on building a site within the genre of the domain, but there are lots of free domains I could pick up for it as well...

thebassman, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just keep an eye on the domain... once it goes to a status of REDEMPTION PERIOD or PENDING DELETE, you can calculate the exact day it will be dropped.

digitalpoint, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  11. thebassman

Best Answers:
    Which is how many days? ;)

thebassman, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  12. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    30 days for REDEEMPTION PERIOD
    and 5-7 days for PENDING DELETE

it is the standard time cud take long

The Webmaster, Sep 2, 2005 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  13. Ghasi

Ghasi Peon

Best Answers:
    thebassman,

Did you got your domain Name ? per "The webmaster" you should have been able to get it in few days after it went to "Pending Deletion".. I am looking for a domain name which went to "Pending Deletion" Today.... Therefore want to check if I should I rely on godaddy's backorder or should I go for snapname.com or some thing???

Thanks,
    G

Ghasi, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  14. thebassman

Best Answers:
    Nope, didn't get it. :( Good luck with yours.

thebassman, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  15. louis2

louis2 Peon

Best Answers:
    No one can say. cover as many places. Depending on how strongly you want this domain. godaddy doesnt catch many. go for snap, pool, enom backordering

louis2, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  16. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tried Pool, Snapnames and Godaddy (well, a parent company of them), and backordered the same domain. It was caught by Snapnames, and the auction, that started with $60, ended with $2660. You can keep it! That auction system is a mine of gold for Pool and Snapnames...

Coupons, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  17. admans

admans Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx for such informative stuff..i was looking for this info for long time. Actually lost quite a few good names due to lack of this info.

admans, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  18. louis2

louis2 Peon

Best Answers:
    domain prices started picking up since two years again after falling steeply during dot com bust. there is heavy competition for dropping names and naturally so many names go into auction

http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

louis2, Oct 5, 2005 IP