1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digg effect in terms of bandwidth

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by cabdirazzaq, Apr 23, 2007.

How much bandwidth does a digg story (frontpage) eat up? Will it effect my other sites placed on the same server. I have around 1000 gb in bandwidth...
    Also, I've heard that wordpress usually fails in withstanding all the traffic. Hence, I installed this wordpress cache plugin but does it really help?

Thank you, I'm pretty new with digg, although a huge fan of stumbleupon.

cabdirazzaq, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  2. jnm

jnm Guest

Best Answers:
    depends on your hosting, how hard they are hitting your dugg article, time of day, size of yor pages, number of queries, etc.

if you have an article that you are pretty sure will be dugg hard, create a static version of it and use that link in digg.

jnm, Apr 23, 2007 IP
    cabdirazzaq likes this.
  3. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea I know it varies but what can I expect approximately, I suppose it wouldn't kill all the bandwidth now would it (1000gb)?

Thanks for replying :)

cabdirazzaq, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  4. Mibs

Mibs Member

Best Answers:
    i've been on the digg front page 3 times, 8,000 total diggs and its not the bandwidth that end sup killing me. i have 2TB a month so when i was on the frontpage last week I only used 100 gigs.

what will get you is the CPU usage, which has much more limited resources than bandwidth, especially if your host likes to pack domains on a server. the best thing you can do is streamline server side scripts and be prepared to take some down if you can while you are on the front page. if you exceed your cpu usage, which usually isnt mentioned when you sign up they they can either take you offline or dump you on an overflow server which sucks.

either way, if you think you will make it on to the front page i would call your host and see what would happen if you exceeding your cpu usage.

Mibs, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    cabdirazzaq likes this.
  5. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Various factors depend on the amount of bandwidth that you'll be needing... anyways, to prepare for such an effect, optimize your site as much as you can.. meaning lower the quantity of graphics in your sites if you have to and make it more text based.

8everything, Apr 24, 2007 IP