1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should you submit to free directories? Yes!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jim4767, Apr 22, 2007.

I can think of at least one very good reason to submit to free directories. Lately I've been doing quite a bit of submitting to paid directories with good PR. And I notice that I'm already in a lot of them, because I submitted way back when they were free. The owners were kind enough to carry over into the now-paid directories those of us who had earlier submitted free links.

Another good reason is to help Digital Point members get their new directories off to a great start, with lots of submissions. And when we help each other, it always seems to come back in kind over the long run.

My habit is simply to check the "Directories > Solicitations and Announcements" sub-forum of Digital Point daily and submit to the several new, free directories that are posted there daily. By doing that little bit of work, in one year you will have accrued an additional 1,000+ new links. Not bad for a few minutes' work each day.

Jim4767, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  2. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, indeed its good habit. I am doing the same. Other forums has subforums related to new directories too.

arrisweb, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  3. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed 100%... we are usally free from the gate or sooner or later offer that option to get some free filler content so.... you are correct..
    As its definatly best to spend those couple minutes at nite and find all the new ones for that day or they will later cost you $$$

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  4. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm doing it right now :D

axlarry, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  5. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, so you may get a link from directories which may later become paid directories, but how much traffic do you get from all of these directories? How much of an affect do they actually have on your Google ranking?

What is the actual benefit?

Aegist, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  6. palo

palo Peon

Best Answers:
    Helo
    You are right
    Already I am also on that work
    Would like to share my works also here but I am in middle of my work
    Like to know your updates
    Thank you

palo, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  7. pitumbo

pitumbo Peon

Best Answers:
    well, i would guess that over time you would get higher pr sites linking to your site, which in turn would make your domain have greater significance and 'link power' to reduce the likelihood of your pages ending up supplemental.

pitumbo, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  8. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think free directory submission is a good mid-term (1-2 year) strategy, the bad free directories will get closed and only the good ones will remain and probably evolve to paid directories.

! Ask !, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  9. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    More and higher-quality backlinks mean higher PageRank. And, despite the naysaying by some, PR does factor into the search engine results. See the following excerpts from Google's own statement on PR and search results:

"The heart of our software is PageRankâ„¢ ... PageRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools.... PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value.... Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search." (Bold and underlining are mine)

The Google link to the full PR explanation is http://www.google.com/technology/.

Jim4767, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  10. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Any backlink is important for a site. With so many directories coming and going --I think one time submission to directories is not a good strategy. One has to always keep submitting to new directories.

But YES-- submitting to existing free directories give your site a KICKSTART in SERPs.:)

jhnrang, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  11. css25

css25 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you mate.
    Why not while it is still free? I only submit my website to paid web directory when I can see the traffic, etc. I normally submit my website to free submission, less reciprocal though.

css25, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  12. bizmart

bizmart Active Member

Best Answers:
    For very reasonable cost you can save yourself the hassle of looking for and submitting to new directories by using the superb service offered by DP member dotcompals. I am consistently being submitted to 150 - 200 new free directories every month without lifting a finger.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=158212

bizmart, Apr 23, 2007 IP
    dotcompals likes this.
  13. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed it's definately nice to get in when they're free, though some bastards remove your hard work once they go paid.:mad:

donttrustthisposter, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:

As for your site Jim its always a pleasure having it. It doesn't get deleted. Informational and have Very acceptable content. I think I don't have it in my other directories but I will add it. :)

popotalk, Apr 23, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  15. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    So everyone here is convinced that an ongoing directory submission has worthwhile results in terms of traffic generated (whether they be through direct traffics or indirect SERP traffic boosts)?

Considering the time spent submitting (or costs of getting someone else to do it) vs the actual tangible results.

Aegist, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  16. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dhruv37, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  17. SubJunk

SubJunk Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience they're a waste of time. Google ignores practically all directories, and hardly anyone actually uses directories anyway (unless they arrive at them via a search engine).
    Years ago I submitted my site to thousands of directories, used a few submission services and did some manually, and I've never noticed any traffic increase nor has Google ever recognized any of the directory links as incoming links.

SubJunk, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  18. pitumbo

pitumbo Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm...interesting

so how do you build links if you don't submit to directories? sig links and article submissions?

pitumbo, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hehehheheheh what planet have you been on bud....

We are probably the best way of getting backlinks and
    having your site be in top 10... get your facts straight please... :rolleyes:

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  20. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i use to submit both free and paid directories that having good pr.

dynn, Apr 23, 2007 IP